Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #261
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Proper regulation can be allowed. Improper regulation must be fought.
    I agree. But this seems quite proper to me.



    Accidential deaths due to fire arms clocks in under gravity. But we're talking about guns on campus and how they can raise the danger of others on campus. If it didn't happen on campus, you got nothing. Less you are now expanding how you want this to be restricted. Because oh yeah, some guy in a fraternity may have a gun so we should ban all fraternity members from being able to have guns because maybe, possibly, it could be that one day, someday he will accidently shoot himself or someone else.

    Can you not see that as an improper argument. He must do something before you can argue for government force. So he shot himself, Dawinism in action. But you can't restrict EVERYONE's rights based on the relatively few number of accidential shootings.

    yes, we know they are going to happen. Where they happen means very little. But, no, we don't have to wait for them to happen. We can take existing knowledge and be proactive. We can anticipate based on the things we do know.




    And as I said, proper restriction is one thing. But proper comes with proof and data. Not "I think"s and "I believe"s. Get some numbers, prove your point. Otherwise all you're arguing for is the use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual based on your bias and assumptions.
    When I think is explained as to why I think, it is a little more. I disagree that we have to wait for the event. Now, it will happen sooner or later, but there is no need to wait for it. We can have foresight.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #262
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    lol...gun safety course on what? God help them if they ever have to draw and fire under stress.

    I think it was 2 weeks ago...I watched a guy fire 50-60 rounds at a "bad guy" target 5 yds away, and only place about half the rounds on paper, and only 12 on the actual "bad guy"... I heard him comment to his buddy "yup, he's dead" (I wanted to shout at him "so are a whole lotta inocent bystanders")... I then watched him reload, holster his trusty sidearm, and swagger out of the range.

    Make no mistake, I fully support the shall issue, but I would like to see some kind of qualification standard.
    Again, your anecdotal stories are not representative of the group as a whole.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  3. #263
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wouldn't carry a knife for that reason either, but a gun accident has more potential to do greater damage.
    On the contrary, people who resist a violent crime with a knife are FAR more likely to be injured than someone who is resisting the same crime with a gun.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #264
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    On the contrary, people who resist a violent crime with a knife are FAR more likely to be injured than someone who is resisting the same crime with a gun.
    Not exactly what I'm speaking to, as I said I wouldn't use a knife either. I spoke to a knife accident as opposed to a gun accident.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #265
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Again, your anecdotal stories are not representative of the group as a whole.
    Its simple logic...

    When the Constitution and its Amendments were written, firearms training was something most people got from their fathers. Practice was afforded by hunting and self defense.

    If you want to search for an historical precedent, for several hundred years, when the longbow was a crucial arm in England's armies, archery butts were set up in every village and the men were required to practice and compete.

    I don't think we'll ever get everyone to agree on the training issue.


    To me....no training time - no Glock 9

  6. #266
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I agree. But this seems quite proper to me.
    Yeah, I know. But you've still offered no actual proof. Just hearsay and conjecture. Which in my book does not make for proper regulation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    yes, we know they are going to happen. Where they happen means very little. But, no, we don't have to wait for them to happen. We can take existing knowledge and be proactive. We can anticipate based on the things we do know.
    No, you absolutely cannot be proactive against people's rights. That's how you become enslaved rather than free. Every single right and freedom can be abused and can cause dangerous situations. It's a consequence of freedom. And once you have a large enough population, every single right and freedom WILL be abused by someone. But you cannot properly act until someone HAS abused it. You cannot properly restrict EVERYBODY's rights because a few will take advantage. When you live in a free society you note that people will take advantage, and when they do there are then procedures you can take to enforce some punishment. But you cannot punish everybody before hand, particularly if it's based on some irrational fear and no data. That's the worst abuse of them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    When I think is explained as to why I think, it is a little more. I disagree that we have to wait for the event. Now, it will happen sooner or later, but there is no need to wait for it. We can have foresight.
    Yes, there is reason to wait because we are a free country and we must allow people the ability to exercise their rights. You cannot restrict everybody's rights because something may potentially go wrong in the future. More people die from salmonella than accidental shootings. Hell, more people die of food born disease than from terrorists in this country. You can say "I think" till the cows come home. In my line of work that's called a hypothesis. It has to be tested before you can say anything definitive.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #267
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Its simple logic...

    When the Constitution and its Amendments were written, firearms training was something most people got from their fathers. Practice was afforded by hunting and self defense.

    If you want to search for an historical precedent, for several hundred years, when the longbow was a crucial arm in England's armies, archery butts were set up in every village and the men were required to practice and compete.

    I don't think we'll ever get everyone to agree on the training issue.


    To me....no training time - no Glock 9
    You are correct. It IS simple logic...

    There is nothing today that prevents parents passing on proper firearms handling to their children.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  8. #268
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wouldn't carry a knife for that reason either, but a gun accident has more potential to do greater damage.
    Boo - I carry both (knife and pistol)

    At about 20 feet....before a cop pulls out his gun, I could stab him repeatedly with a knife. Things move fast up close. In close-quarters fighting there is no more deadly weapon than the knife

    At least arm yourself with a good blade if packing a gun is out of the equation

  9. #269
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    There are no "minor" incidents with guns. No whoops. And very rarely is it the dumbass that gets hurt.
    my bs detector just redlined on that claim



  10. #270
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    One, that isn't the issue in question. In question was who statisitically is more likely to be shot. More often, in actual shootings, we shoot ourselves.

    Second, we have no real way to know about prevented crimes. A number, how big or small is debatable, are prevent by people without guns. But any study that can be seen as facutal would require more than just asking gun owners. I'm quite sure my dogs discourage crime, but any thing I say would be subject to question and not something that can be seen as statistical proof.
    people who spend the most time dealing with criminals are almost always armed.



Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •