Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #251
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    And the use of the phrase "the people" means EVERYONE, not just the militia. The second clause is not dependent on the first clause, quite the reverse. The people have to have the freedom and the right to own and bear weapons because the militia needs them.

    You may be shocked to realize this, but the "right" to keep and bear arms is older than the human race itself. The precursor hominid species were making weapons before homo sapiens ever evolved. Homo neanderthalis also had weapons.

    No, while a miilitia is necessary to preserve individual freedom, one of the freedoms that militia is protecting is the freedom to own weapons.
    There is some debate about that. I don't really care enough to engage into it too deeply as I have no emotional feelings towards any tool. But I do note that there is disagreement. And I do believe the founding fathers were more interested in a citizen army being able to have access to weapons than much of anything else. I'm not convinced the amendment carries much real meaning today. But I'm fine with most people being able to have and own wepaons.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #252
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So until you can compile such data, you have no proper argument for restricting the rights of adults.
    To me, this is like saying one can't think until something is proven. I strongly disagree. I can look at other information and make connections.



    Did they do so on campus? Is the accident rate above background?
    The first one I check on the search were on campus. Accidental. at a frat house. But I did not look at all of them.



    And you've produced no data that would warrant using government force against the rights and liberties of adults in our society.
    Depends on what you call evidence and what you call rights. I don't believe anyone's rights are being violated. This is well within the scope of everyone's rights.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The average John Doe will not spend the money for proper training unless it is mandated. Recognizing that as reality, requiring training and/or exhibition of minimal skills as a requirement to exercise the right is not unreasonable.
    This is sheerest opinion with no basis in fact. The average American deciding to buy a gun is aware of the dangers inherent in a tool devised for nothing but killing, and they usually take gun safety courses.

    Signups at Gun Safety Courses Surge

  4. #254
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    To me, this is like saying one can't think until something is proven. I strongly disagree. I can look at other information and make connections.
    No, you can think anything you want. What you cannot do is ACT until something is proven. That's the entire basis of our system. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Our system was meant to be REACTIVE, not proactive. Proactive government force leads to bad places.


    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The first one I check on the search were on campus. Accidental. at a frat house. But I did not look at all of them.
    Fraternity houses are typically NOT on campus. Additionally, most fraternities already have internal rules about allowing firearms on fraternity property.



    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Depends on what you call evidence and what you call rights. I don't believe anyone's rights are being violated. This is well within the scope of everyone's rights.
    When you use government force against the free exercise of rights, you have infringed upon those rights. Without government force, people could carry weapons on campus. It takes that force to enforce habits which prevent people from carying on campus. Thus the right to keep and bear arms has been infringed. Now you need some form of evidence and proof through which you can demonstrate immediate danger and actual infringment of other's rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #255
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, you can think anything you want. What you cannot do is ACT until something is proven. That's the entire basis of our system. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Our system was meant to be REACTIVE, not proactive. Proactive government force leads to bad places.
    First, this is a discussion forum and not a legislature. Second, the reasons for the opinion don't speak to what can or can't be done. As I said below, no rights are really being violated. Regulation has always beena llowed.



    Fraternity houses are typically NOT on campus. Additionally, most fraternities already have internal rules about allowing firearms on fraternity property.
    Not the classroom, true. But it is college students at a college recoginized place of gathering. But I agree it is a much more dangerous place than the classroom. Still, the student shot himself. Not a criminal, not trying to defend himself. He used poor judgement and shot himself.





    When you use government force against the free exercise of rights, you have infringed upon those rights. Without government force, people could carry weapons on campus. It takes that force to enforce habits which prevent people from carying on campus. Thus the right to keep and bear arms has been infringed. Now you need some form of evidence and proof through which you can demonstrate immediate danger and actual infringment of other's rights.
    We have alws and restrictions on all kinds of things. Few rights are absolute. Neither is the right to bear arms. Some regulation has always been allowed. No different here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There is some debate about that. I don't really care enough to engage into it too deeply as I have no emotional feelings towards any tool. But I do note that there is disagreement.
    The people who do not agree they have the freedom own guns have the freedom to not buy them.

    What they do not have is the freedom to control others.

    And I do believe the founding fathers were more interested in a citizen army being able to have access to weapons than much of anything else. I'm not convinced the amendment carries much real meaning today. But I'm fine with most people being able to have and own wepaons.
    The Constitution hasn't changed.

    Human nature hasn't changed.

    Ergo, the arguments supporting the Second Amendment from the days ratifying the Constitution haven't lost merit. The only people who should not be allowed to have guns are people who have proven they can't be trusted with them, ex-felons, people lacking the intellectual capacity to understand gun safety, and the mentally deranged.

    Identifying the ex-felons is easy, identifying the retards is more difficult, and finding the psychotics and terminally depressed before they buy a weapon is practically impossible. So any society that understands that it's freedom comes from the muzzle of a gun defending the people's freedom to speak and own property is going to suffer marginally from the assualts of individuals abusing gun freedoms, just as that same society suffers from people combining the freedom to drive cars and the freedom to drink alcohol. Part of the risk posed by the criminal or lunatic obtaining guns can be ameliorated by ensuring that as many responsible citizens who want to own and carry guns have as much freedom as possible to do so.


    Which isn't a lecture for you, or for anyone supporting gun freedom.

    Heck, the Mayor doesn't own a gun, but his first wife's father owned a gun shop. The Mayor's personal choice has everything to do with just not being interested in shooting things anymore. But the Mayor defends vociferously the right of every responsible citizen to choose otherwise.

    (But there is this crow outside in a tree who's been making a racket for at least an hour....shooting is becoming an attractive thought...)
    Last edited by Mayor Snorkum; 05-13-11 at 02:28 PM.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    First, this is a discussion forum and not a legislature. Second, the reasons for the opinion don't speak to what can or can't be done. As I said below, no rights are really being violated. Regulation has always beena llowed.
    Proper regulation can be allowed. Improper regulation must be fought.



    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not the classroom, true. But it is college students at a college recoginized place of gathering. But I agree it is a much more dangerous place than the classroom. Still, the student shot himself. Not a criminal, not trying to defend himself. He used poor judgement and shot himself.
    Accidential deaths due to fire arms clocks in under gravity. But we're talking about guns on campus and how they can raise the danger of others on campus. If it didn't happen on campus, you got nothing. Less you are now expanding how you want this to be restricted. Because oh yeah, some guy in a fraternity may have a gun so we should ban all fraternity members from being able to have guns because maybe, possibly, it could be that one day, someday he will accidently shoot himself or someone else.

    Can you not see that as an improper argument. He must do something before you can argue for government force. So he shot himself, Dawinism in action. But you can't restrict EVERYONE's rights based on the relatively few number of accidential shootings.





    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We have alws and restrictions on all kinds of things. Few rights are absolute. Neither is the right to bear arms. Some regulation has always been allowed. No different here.
    And as I said, proper restriction is one thing. But proper comes with proof and data. Not "I think"s and "I believe"s. Get some numbers, prove your point. Otherwise all you're arguing for is the use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual based on your bias and assumptions.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure a gun does that. Many of us manage to defend ourselves just fine without a gun. And we ahve the added benefit of not shooting ourselves.
    Everyone who carries a knife for self-defense has cut himself with a knife.

    Yet, the fact that the Mayor always carried a box cutter in his back pocket in high school didn't cause him to cut anyone else. The three boys who wanted to rob the Mayor were not cut, because they decided that the money in the Mayor's pocket wasn't valuable enough to persist in their attempted robbery, once the Mayor revealed the cutter.

    Similarly, many other crimes are prevented by gun owners who do nothing more than make it plain they're able to shoot their would be assailants. These near-crimes are typically not reported to police and hence do not show on any formals statistics. The "snick" of a safety coming off is incredibly loud in the ears of some.

  9. #259
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    This is sheerest opinion with no basis in fact. The average American deciding to buy a gun is aware of the dangers inherent in a tool devised for nothing but killing, and they usually take gun safety courses.

    Signups at Gun Safety Courses Surge
    lol...gun safety course on what? God help them if they ever have to draw and fire under stress.

    I think it was 2 weeks ago...I watched a guy fire 50-60 rounds at a "bad guy" target 5 yds away, and only place about half the rounds on paper, and only 12 on the actual "bad guy"... I heard him comment to his buddy "yup, he's dead" (I wanted to shout at him "so are a whole lotta inocent bystanders")... I then watched him reload, holster his trusty sidearm, and swagger out of the range.

    Make no mistake, I fully support the shall issue, but I would like to see some kind of qualification standard.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Everyone who carries a knife for self-defense has cut himself with a knife.

    Yet, the fact that the Mayor always carried a box cutter in his back pocket in high school didn't cause him to cut anyone else. The three boys who wanted to rob the Mayor were not cut, because they decided that the money in the Mayor's pocket wasn't valuable enough to persist in their attempted robbery, once the Mayor revealed the cutter.

    Similarly, many other crimes are prevented by gun owners who do nothing more than make it plain they're able to shoot their would be assailants. These near-crimes are typically not reported to police and hence do not show on any formals statistics. The "snick" of a safety coming off is incredibly loud in the ears of some.
    I wouldn't carry a knife for that reason either, but a gun accident has more potential to do greater damage.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •