Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #231
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Frankly, I bet the accident rate would be about the same. There’s no correlation between having a driver’s license and having good driving skills. Five minutes on any major road will tell you that.

    So, because people are required to take a 20 minute driving test and a multiple choice quiz ONCE, that's enough for you? I'd love it if all it took to obtain a carry permit was a 20 minute gun demo. Load, holster, unholster, fire, unload, field strip, and I'm out the door with my permit, I just have to get my picture retaken every couple of years. That sounds about equivalent, right?

    Again, driving is a privilege, and frankly, a privilege that is far more dangerous than exercising the right to own and carry a gun. The amount of "training" one must go through to drive a car is laughable at best, and driving is simply a convenience. The ability to protect your life and that of your loved ones is a basic right and not something that should have any requirements placed on it.

    How many people take more advanced driver training than what is required to get their license? How many people go the gun range at least several times a year? Your analogy is asinine and there’s no evidence to support any of the hysterical mouth-foaming you’re spouting here. 40 states in this country are shall-issue. You’d think if there was a visible problem we’d have noticed by now, no?
    Angry - Find 10 people in your area that say they are not gun owners but would buy one if there were no license requirements whatsoever. Then give them your gun and you stand there while they display their weapons handling capabilities.

  2. #232
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Angry - Find 10 people in your area that say they are not gun owners but would buy one if there were no license requirements whatsoever. Then give them your gun and you stand there while they display their weapons handling capabilities.
    There is no license requirement to buy a gun in my state already and open carry without a permit is legal. People don't need to fill out paperwork to become a gun owner if they so choose to. A permit is only required for concealed carry. Statistically, every one in ten people I encounter has a gun on them, whether CC or OC, yet somehow I don't run to the hills everytime I see someone with a gun visible on their hip because,
    "OMG, they might not have any training!!!"
    Frankly it doesn't bother me one bit, however, even if it did, my opinion does not have any impact on that other person's rights. Face it, your argument is based on emotion, and the derailment tactic you just tried has zero bearing as far as I'm concerned.

    I'm far more terrified of the idiot drivers in my state...
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 05-13-11 at 01:22 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  3. #233
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    There is no license requirement to buy a gun in my state already and open carry without a permit is legal. People don't need to fill out paperwork to become a gun owner if they so choose to. A permit is only required for concealed carry. Statistically, every one in ten people I encounter has a gun on them, whether CC or OC, yet somehow I don't run to the hills everytime I see someone with a gun visible on their hip because,
    "OMG, they might not have any training!!!"
    Frankly it doesn't bother me one bit, however, even if it did, my opinion does not have any impact on that other person's rights. Face it, your argument is based on emotion, and the derailment tactic you just tried has zero bearing as far as I'm concerned.

    I'm far more terrified of the idiot drivers in my state...
    Angry - Go back in time (The US Constitution)...

    When those men wrote those documents, people raised their children on farms, not the state raising them in projects. Children had a sense of responsibility at a very early age and did chores. They weren't raised by the TV, Xbox 360, PS3, etc, etc Go read through the hall of fame and then tell me about "Shall issue". There are dumbasses walking the planet today in heretofore unknown numbers. There are a lot of people that should have to get a license in order to procreate, much less own a handgun.

    Rights are a two way street. Responsibility being the cost for a given right.

  4. #234
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Angry - Go back in time (The US Constitution)...

    When those men wrote those documents, people raised their children on farms, not the state raising them in projects. Children had a sense of responsibility at a very early age and did chores. They weren't raised by the TV, Xbox 360, PS3, etc, etc Go read through the hall of fame and then tell me about "Shall issue". There are dumbasses walking the planet today in heretofore unknown numbers. There are a lot of people that should have to get a license in order to procreate, much less own a handgun.

    Rights are a two way street. Responsibility being the cost for a given right.
    Right, and we can institute a whole slew of requirements one must meet before purchasing a gun. And the honest citizens that would have wanted guns anyway will get them. But those idiots who use guns to cause intentional harm, or pose a threat during the commission of a crime? They'll still have them too. Putting restrictions on law abiding citizens only inhibits law abiding citizens.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #235
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Angry - Go back in time (The US Constitution)...

    When those men wrote those documents, people raised their children on farms, not the state raising them in projects. Children had a sense of responsibility at a very early age and did chores. They weren't raised by the TV, Xbox 360, PS3, etc, etc Go read through the hall of fame and then tell me about "Shall issue". There are dumbasses walking the planet today in heretofore unknown numbers. There are a lot of people that should have to get a license in order to procreate, much less own a handgun.

    Rights are a two way street. Responsibility being the cost for a given right.
    Teaching responsibility is a job for parents, not government. How many states need to be shall issue before you realize that this is NOT the problem you're making it out to be?
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 05-13-11 at 01:38 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  6. #236
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Then on with it....

    Do you think teachers/students should be given "real" instruction by local PDs or in places that offered realistic supplemental training to students at mil/LEO discount prices?
    I think it should be standard taught in high school
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #237
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Right, and we can institute a whole slew of requirements one must meet before purchasing a gun. And the honest citizens that would have wanted guns anyway will get them. But those idiots who use guns to cause intentional harm, or pose a threat during the commission of a crime? They'll still have them too. Putting restrictions on law abiding citizens only inhibits law abiding citizens.
    There is one possibility however, tessaesque.

    If a law could be passed by which if a gun owner like theangryamerican (no offense just for the sake of the debate ) is seen showing a lack of skill, manipulating his firearm in a non-professional manner, or otherwise being an assclown while carrying - a pro can walk up to him on the spot and knock his sorry ass in the dirt and keep for his own use the weapon formerly owned by said assclown in question - then The People could support Shall Issue as the law of the land.

    There could of course, be no legal redress for said assclown, not even if the event involved malice and forethought based on prior knowledge of the assclown's demonstrated lack of ability to act like decent folks.

    Are you ok with that? Anybody?

  8. #238
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    There is one possibility however, tessaesque.

    If a law could be passed by which if a gun owner like theangryamerican (no offense just for the sake of the debate ) is seen showing a lack of skill, manipulating his firearm in a non-professional manner, or otherwise being an assclown while carrying - a pro can walk up to him on the spot and knock his sorry ass in the dirt and keep for his own use the weapon formerly owned by said assclown in question - then The People could support Shall Issue as the law of the land.

    There could of course, be no legal redress for said assclown, not even if the event involved malice and forethought based on prior knowledge of the assclown's demonstrated lack of ability to act like decent folks.

    Are you ok with that? Anybody?
    Or rather, if somebody is seen using a firearm in an unsafe or threatening manner towards another, they can be mandated to attend a safety class, with their weapon confiscated until the class is completed.

    Exceptions for threatening use of your legally owned gun in your own home in defensive of your property, life, or lives of other residents.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #239
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    There is one possibility however, tessaesque.

    If a law could be passed by which if a gun owner like theangryamerican (no offense just for the sake of the debate ) is seen showing a lack of skill, manipulating his firearm in a non-professional manner, or otherwise being an assclown while carrying - a pro can walk up to him on the spot and knock his sorry ass in the dirt and keep for his own use the weapon formerly owned by said assclown in question - then The People could support Shall Issue as the law of the land.

    There could of course, be no legal redress for said assclown, not even if the event involved malice and forethought based on prior knowledge of the assclown's demonstrated lack of ability to act like decent folks.

    Are you ok with that? Anybody?
    Hell ****ing no. You want to legally allow people to steal other people's property without compensation and to infringe upon ones' innate right to keep and bear arms for what reason? Because someone else said "I saw him acting like an assclown"? That won't be abused? It's dumb, you can use government force against someone through due process of law ONCE they have committed a crime; not prior. Particularly not on some perception of "assclown". Ridiculous.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #240
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think it should be standard taught in high school
    In an ideal nation, marksmanship training would/should be provided by the government as part of its responsibility to provide for the common defense. I believe many schools have basements that can be used as rifle ranges.

    The problem is, we don't live in an ideal nation. Realistically, do you think legislation would ever pass requiring the government to provide firearms training to the populace?

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •