Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #211
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You may have been lucky so far. We'll see as it becomes more wide spread.
    Over the entire State of Colorado is not enough, huh? The thing that really gets me is that you make a base, statistical basis on why it shouldn't be allowed. These are generalized stats aggregated over the populace. So it doesn't matter if it's just Colorado or if it's the whole of the United States. If these are true probabilities for the system, then that's that. Thus if what you say is correct, given the number of students over the decades they have been allowed to carry weapons on Colorado Universities; we would have seen multiple cases of accidents, mishandlings, etc. Colorado isn't some po-dunk little backwards water state with 15 people in it. Every semester 10's of thousands of students come through each of our Universities. Over decades, how many students is that? Why then have we not seen a single incident of what you claim would happen if students were allowed to bring guns? Could we be "lucky", maybe but it's a lot lower probability then say, you being wrong with the dynamics of this system. Perhaps it is I who is right on this matter, that allowing guns in school is actually a null case and will have no real affect on crime or lead to a more or less dangerous campus.

    But you don't even want to consider that. You want to say "you're lucky" and "well I think" blah blah blah. It didn't even cross your mind that maybe Colorado isn't as backwoods as you think it is, that we've had A LOT of students come through our university structure over the decades, that this has been allowed, that it produced no effect which is why you generally will not find news articles in it because it in fact produces no net affect and thus no news.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have, with what numbers we have. You have suggested we have other numbers, but have presented none that I'm aware of.
    Look it up. If what you say about these adults, their brain development, blah blah blah is true; you can certainly find news and data about students being accidently shot on campus in Colorado or some form of wild west shoot out in a free speech center. What does the lack of news tell you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually, I saying the school should decide. And government whould allow it. Schools appose it as much as anyone.

    Biased as much as anyone holding a position I would say.
    Should the students or reality have any say in the matter?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Speaking as a 5th generation native Texan I really think our State Congress has bigger issues to deal with than this.

    Like our 20 billion dollar budget gap.

  3. #213
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Are you sure? Didn't the University of Colorado decide to ban guns on campus in 1994? Wasn't their decision one to ban guns? I haven't investigated the state completely, but my understanding is that others based their decisions on court rulings against the University. I suspect more court rulings will come in the future.

    As for concelled weapons in general, I think schools are different, and thus deserve a different ruling.
    Yes and no...

    Regent Policy for Universities in Colorado prohibits guns anywhere on campus to include parking lots.
    State colleges can have their own policies so you will need to check with each individual college.


    http://shr.elpasoco.com/NR/rdonlyres...out022310.pdf?
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 05-12-11 at 05:44 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #214
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Yes and no...





    The colleges that allow carry on campus http://shr.elpasoco.com/NR/rdonlyres...out022310.pdf?
    Fort Collins is an open carry city. God I love my State. If we can just get Vermont style gun laws; it would be perfect. Well except for all the Texans and Californians who keep coming up here, trying to wreck up the place. Wish they'd just stay home.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #215
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sorry you don't like that the stats don't back you. I understand, which is why pro gun folks have to resort to trickery to boost their numbers. But, the fact is you are more likely to shoot yourself or someone close to you than a criminal statisitcally.

    where the scum in the VPC fail is how they frame the issue

    they assume that the only beneficial use of a gun is "shooting" a criminal" and they compare accidental shootings with shooting criminals. they also count a battered wife shooting an assaulting spouse as "someone close to you" but the fact remains. the vast majority of useful instances of a gun saving some one does NOT INVOLVE shooting the criminal

    If someone breaks into my house and I detain him at gun point or even scare him off the gun has protected me but the VPC asswipes don't count that. In the VAST MAJORITY OF CASES, a deterrence is not reported by the police as a "gun incident


    the fact is almost every retired cop, DA and Judge owns a gun ought to tell you something



  6. #216
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post

    Is it so difficult to understand that you're denying the very thing you're seeking to create by banning legal guns from a campus. Teachers and students DO want a safe enviroment and they should not have to be disarmed just because there's a sign saying that guns aren't allowed. For the millionth time, a responsibly carried gun is not a danger to anyone, except those who would seek to harm the carrier. (see my sig)
    The CCW training argument doesn't sway me. I see too many jackasses with a CCW that should not be allowed to own a Super Soaker, much less CARRY a LOADED gun.

    You can't learn to shoot discriminately across a room full of screaming kids while under fire at a 2 week course and one re-qual a year.

  7. #217
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The CCW training argument doesn't sway me. I see too many jackasses with a CCW that should not be allowed to own a Super Soaker, much less CARRY a LOADED gun.

    You can't learn to shoot discriminately across a room full of screaming kids while under fire at a 2 week course and one re-qual a year.
    Anecdotes and hyperbole are poor arguments to make. The evidence doesn't back you up...and I never used the term "CCW training" in my post.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ADG View Post
    It's about time. I don't know how many times I sat in class thinking to myself, "I could really use a gun right now".
    With any luck, you never will - because if you ever do, and you don't have one, you're in big trouble.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Yeah, this with guns would be totally awesome...


    Amazingly silly post.

    Anyone in this picture who was of a mind to carry a gun on campus is likely to do so regardless of any law allowing him to or prohibiting same.
    See, they are -obviously- law abiding citizens.

    And so, the law will have no effect on these peopel or anyone like them.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fort Collins is an open carry city. God I love my State. If we can just get Vermont style gun laws; it would be perfect. Well except for all the Texans and Californians who keep coming up here, trying to wreck up the place. Wish they'd just stay home.
    True enough. I am in Colorado and every other person here is from California or Texas.

Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •