And your bit about "healthy foods" cracks me up.
So what have we here?June 21, 2010
Rate this article:
unhealthy school lunches
Processed foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt have become a mainstay of lunches in schools across America and the results are in — experts say these unhealthy school lunches are a contributing factor to the childhood obesity epidemic...
But there are many obstacles to improving unhealthy school lunches, not the least of which is money...
Another obstacle to addressing the problem is that some schools have given contracts to food management companies...
“The quality goes down; they have purchasing powers,” he says. “There’s no reason in the world that money [$2.68] should offer a profit. But they know how to manage the subsidies.”
Schreiber adds that the blame doesn’t lie with those companies since they lack incentives to make any changes to unhealthy school lunches. Change should come from the government with a federal nutrition program, he says.
1. These lunches are "unhealthy", not healthy... ROTFLOL
2. Like the disastrous Government Food Pyramid, they are adding to obesity yet again.
3. Costs that are going to increase because the money isn't enough. 16 Billion a year today... tomorrow...???
4. Private companies are running some of these operations.
5. Their suggested solutions are higher costs and more government... (projectile vomit icon)
Solution: Get government out of the restaurant business.