Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 151

Thread: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

  1. #41
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So kids who can't bring a lunch to school should go hungry?
    I guess. I don't think hundreds of millions of tax payer money should be spent in this pursuit. Let private charities dispense for the needy few... we do not need government to get involved.

    Government intervention besides wasting taxpayer money sends an awful message too.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-09-11 at 06:08 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar


  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I guess. I don't think hundreds of millions of tax payer money should be spent in this pursuit. Let private charities dispense for the needy few... we do not need government to get involved.

    Government intervention besides wasting taxpayer money sends an awful message too.

    .
    So kids, who have no control over their situation, should go hungry in school?

    Awesome
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #44
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I guess. I don't think hundreds of millions of tax payer money should be spent in this pursuit. Let private charities dispense for the needy few... we do not need government to get involved.

    Government intervention besides wasting taxpayer money sends an awful message too.

    .
    It's hardly a needy few. For many children, their school lunch is their most nutritious meal of their day. For some, it's their only.Government's in for a penny and a pound. Kids can't learn if they're thinking about their next meal - and whether or not it'll be Creamettes with ketsup.

    Ever been hungry? I think not. Ever known a family whose food stamps don't stretch? Or whose mom sells the stamps for drug money? I think not. If we can't feed kids 'til they're 18 one nutritious meal a day, it's time we folded up our tents.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #45
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So kids, who have no control over their situation, should go hungry in school?

    Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's hardly a needy few. For many children, their school lunch is their most nutritious meal of their day. For some, it's their only.Government's in for a penny and a pound. Kids can't learn if they're thinking about their next meal - and whether or not it'll be Creamettes with ketsup.

    Ever been hungry? I think not. Ever known a family whose food stamps don't stretch? Or whose mom sells the stamps for drug money? I think not. If we can't feed kids 'til they're 18 one nutritious meal a day, it's time we folded up our tents.
    Leave it to private institutions. Not government. I find nothing in The Constitution saying the government should be in the restaurant business.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #46
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Leave it to private institutions. Not government. I find nothing in The Constitution saying the government should be in the restaurant business.
    That's your litmus test? You must be kidding. There's nothing in the Constitution about the whole public school system. But it does speak to general welfare. Weak, Zimmer. Very weak.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #47
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,335
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That's your litmus test? You must be kidding. There's nothing in the Constitution about the whole public school system. But it does speak to general welfare. Weak, Zimmer. Very weak.
    Yes, that is my litmus test.

    Federal spending on the two food programs... was $16 billion in fiscal 2009.21

    The USDA’s inspector general reports that another area of abuse is local school contracting.29 The food service companies that supply school breakfasts and lunches are prone to inflate expenses and use fraudulent billing schemes in their school contracts.

    The bottom line is that local governments have many incentives to maximize the number of school meal recipients and little incentive to reduce waste and abuse. These problems are common in federal subsidy programs for state and local governments, in programs ranging from Medicaid to highway grants. The solution is to end the federal role and revive federalism, as discussed below.

    Food Subsidies | Downsizing the Federal Government
    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-09-11 at 06:47 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #48
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,841
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    I sense a little bit of a contradiction in some of the views expressed in this thread with those expressed in others.

    Why isn't a school's offering of unhealthy alternatives seen by conservative/libertarians as a waste of the taxpayer money? Shouldn't there just be one or maybe two healthy choices, and the parents can provide additional alternatives if they choose to?

    Should schools limit their offerings to one or two unhealthy alternatives? Why should schools give students entitlements to unhealthy foods?
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-09-11 at 06:56 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  9. #49
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So kids who can't bring a lunch to school should go hungry?
    Yep. Sounds good to me.


    Last edited by Ockham; 05-09-11 at 06:59 PM.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yep. Sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So kids, who have no control over their situation, should go hungry in school?

    Awesome
    ..........
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •