Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

  1. #11
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    If you are a dedicated fan of the Discovery Channel you will remember seeing a chopper very much like the one pictured a few years ago as an artists concept.

    All they ever said about them is Stealth they never speculate about the capabilities.

    I wonder what the bidding war between Russia and China is up to.

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    Here's an interesting pic:

    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    And unfortunately it doesn't correspond with the part found.

    You cant make the blackhawk quiet. It's engines and rotor hub are for lifting, not silence. It would require such a drastic change in order to make that airframe stealth that it wouldn't be the same aircraft anymore.

    It would be like taking a car and changing every single part on it. It's not the original car anymore.

    Oh yea, there were numerous reports that just prior to the helis arriving for the attack, all electricity and cell phone and all electronic communication went down in the area. And once they left, they came back on. That heli had some VERY sophisticated equipment on board.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 05-07-11 at 04:16 AM.

  4. #14
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Oh yea, there were numerous reports that just prior to the helis arriving for the attack, all electricity and cell phone and all electronic communication went down in the area. And once they left, they came back on. That heli had some VERY sophisticated equipment on board.
    That's not true, as evidenced by the guy who tweeted the whole thing.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #15
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,120

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    1. heavy modification doesn't make it not a blackhawk. remember that program names are just that - program names. the body type appears roughly similar; and even that isn't really necessary.

    2. if this was a black program - then good. the last thing we would have wanted prior to this is OBL or the Paki's developing some kind of countermeasure. Either of those results in a higher possibility of mission failure - SEAL Team 6 and the 160th (whom we can only assume was flying) are both national tier-1 assets; anything they get sent on is worth not telling everyone about.

    3. Electronics are part of the 160th's mission as well. Did anyone thing we didn't have the capability to block cellphones in a given range?

  6. #16
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Extremely unfortunate situation.....

    1 - You weren't supposed to see it.
    It would never have been used if the chance of it being revealed was not acceptable.

    2 - The wreckage should have been completely destroyed to **** with a Tomahawk or equivalent
    Um, no. You simply cannot use cruise missiles for something like that. The team in place has to destroy as much as it can, which is in fact what was reported to have happened.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    The truth is, based on the picture, nothing that was recovered will give away information not already speculated/known. Use of this would have been seen to give the mission a higher chance of success, and the risks worth the reward. No military mission goes perfectly, and complaining when it doesn't is silly. The helo is interesting, and that is about all there is to this.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    The point of a stealth helicopter would not be to make it silent - impossible. It would be to eliminate the radar cross section and thus avoid air defenses.

  9. #19
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,120

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It would never have been used if the chance of it being revealed was not acceptable.
    yup. sometimes the target is worth the risk - and this was one of those situations.

    Um, no. You simply cannot use cruise missiles for something like that. The team in place has to destroy as much as it can, which is in fact what was reported to have happened.
    well, you wouldn't necessarily call in a TLAM; but I don't know why they didnt' have a Pred on station nearby for ISR. A couple of AGM-114's should have been able to take care of anything left over from the controlled demo the SEALs were able to pull off in the raid. It's an unfortunate part of an otherwise excellent raid.

  10. #20
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,120

    Re: Mysterious stealth helicopter used in bin Laden raid...

    Quote Originally Posted by pzycho View Post
    The point of a stealth helicopter would not be to make it silent - impossible. It would be to eliminate the radar cross section and thus avoid air defenses.
    and IR. and noise. and visual against a night skyline - which is why you actually want dark grey instead of black. Stealth isn't just counter-radar.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •