Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 209

Thread: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

  1. #131
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Except that the TARP loans to banks have been paid back with interest. I doubt all the money given to General Motors and Chrysler (UAW) will ever be paid back in full.
    They were saying the same about the "Chrysler Corporation Loan Guarantee Act" but that was paid back with a profit.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  2. #132
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Except that the TARP loans to banks have been paid back with interest. I doubt all the money given to General Motors and Chrysler (UAW) will ever be paid back in full.
    not all the tarp loans have been paid back.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #133
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    not all the tarp loans have been paid back.
    Right, GM/Chrysler "loans" have not been paid back, most of the bank loans have, any idea where the money went?

  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Except that the unemployment rate went up again, even after excluding discouraged workers. It's not ALL a happy picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    It is true that the economy is slowly improving. We have to remember that the economy still has unprecedented fiscal and monetary policy going for it. If you notice the breakout of the numbers, the private sector hired while the public sector continues to reduce. This will continue as state and local budgets have to brought into balance and stimulus money is going away. Not that this is bad but it will be a lag on the economy for some time.
    Washunut is correct. The public sector has shed jobs (both federal and state) not to mention several natural disasters have had a negative impact on employment across the country. We've had major snow fall in the north-east, tornados in the south, and severe flooding in the mid-west. As a result, the unemployment numbers rose slightly mostly due to public employees claiming unemployment benefits and agriculture jobs taking a big hit! The good news is despite the impact nature has had on our national economy coupled with higher gas prices, the private sector continues to add jobs.

    I predict that as the summer comes around we'll start seeing alot more hiring in housing (re)construction and infrastructure at the state-level especially in the mid-west and the south. As for those farm subsidies that were about to go away, I think it's fair to say they'll be off the table with all the farm land the Army Corp of Engineers had to flood (and it looks like they may have to do it again).

    All-in-All, the 2Q jobs report for FY2011 is looking pretty good under the circumstances.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 05-09-11 at 05:23 PM.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Right, GM/Chrysler "loans" have not been paid back, most of the bank loans have, any idea where the money went?
    Yep, you are correct. I believe CitiBank is the only that hasn't paid the loans back in full and they've paid about half and given stock to the government to cover most of the rest of it. GM and Chrysler are way behind and will probably never get it all paid back despite the lies told by GM's CEO in the commercial last year.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #136
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Bush authorized a loan, Obama took over the companies. Donc doesn't know the difference.
    Do you mean if “GM” reaches the mid twenties (where my limit point is) my money will be going to Obama?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  7. #137
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Washunut is correct. The public sector has shed jobs (both federal and state) not to mention several natural disasters have had a negative impact on employment across the country. We've had major snow fall in the north-east, tornados in the south, and severe flooding in the mid-west. As a result, the unemployment numbers rose slightly mostly due to public employees claiming unemployment benefits and agriculture jobs taking a big hit! The good news is despite the impact nature has had on our national economy coupled with higher gas prices, the private sector continues to add jobs.

    I predict that as the summer comes around we'll start seeing alot more hiring in housing (re)construction and infrastructure at the state-level especially in the mid-west and the south. As for those farm subsidies that were about to go away, I think it's fair to say they'll be off the table with all the farm land the Army Corp of Engineers had to flood (and it looks like they may have to do it again).

    All-in-All, the 2Q jobs report for FY2011 is looking pretty good under the circumstances.
    The fact remains, Obama has spent over a trillion dollars and we have more unemployed today than when Obama took office and over 2.6 million fewer employed today than in January 2009. That isn't pretty good under any circumstances. The current debt today is 14.3 trillion or up 3.5 trillion in a little over two years and these are the results we get?

  8. #138
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Yep, you are correct. I believe CitiBank is the only that hasn't paid the loans back in full and they've paid about half and given stock to the government to cover most of the rest of it. GM and Chrysler are way behind and will probably never get it all paid back despite the lies told by GM's CEO in the commercial last year.
    wrong. the bank i work for has not repaid it's tarp. however, we did make a bucket on interest. anyway, tarp cost less than the S&L crisis in the 80's, as a % of gdp.

    Bailout List: Banks, Car Companies, and More | Eye on the Bailout | ProPublica

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #139
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Do you mean if “GM” reaches the mid twenties (where my limit point is) my money will be going to Obama?
    If GM stock hits the mid Twenties the taxpayer will lose another $7 a share over what the proposal is to get the taxpayer out of the GM deal. What the hell just a few billion more in losses.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: U.S. Payrolls Grew 244,000 in April; Unemployment at 9%

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    wrong. the bank i work for has not repaid it's tarp. however, we did make a bucket on interest. anyway, tarp cost less than the S&L crisis in the 80's, as a % of gdp.

    Bailout List: Banks, Car Companies, and More | Eye on the Bailout | ProPublica
    Not sure where this information came from but here is what the Wall Street Journal is posting as of the end of March

    TARP Repayments Push US Bank Bailout into Profit - Wall Street & Technology

    Pretty simple question that is being ignored, WHERE DID THE REPAYMENT GO since the deficit in the last two plus years is approaching 4 trillion dollars? Shouldn't the repayment go to reducing the deficit?

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •