Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 256

Thread: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

  1. #81
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Too be honst, it depends on how you explain the nature of those problems. If you suggest it is something inherent in the race, then you're pretty much racist. it you look at the historical and societial problems that led to the problems, not so much.
    i think we are looking at the same thing
    i will emphasize it below
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why do you call people racist when they post factually correct statements. the fact is American black society has several detrimental social pathologies that cause many members of that community to underachieve or end up in jail. It is not racist to note those pathologies-indeed real racism involves enabling such behavior by castigating those who point it out.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #82
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Who's responsible for teaching the kids to read ????
    parents, teachers, the kids themselves. The notion that children are blank slates and don't come to the teacher with any thing other than an open mind is false. many, as you just did, leap to conclsuions without ever seeking to support your assumption. if you are going to say teachers are the sole, or even the major problem, more than all others that children deal with today concerning their learning, you have to more than just assume it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i think we are looking at the same thing
    i will emphasize it below
    We are. And I would welcome him explaining. I think he could clarify.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    parents, teachers, the kids themselves. The notion that children are blank slates and don't come to the teacher with any thing other than an open mind is false. many, as you just did, leap to conclsuions without ever seeking to support your assumption. if you are going to say teachers are the sole, or even the major problem, more than all others that children deal with today concerning their learning, you have to more than just assume it.
    Yeah Boo, you're right. I did make an assumption, the assumption that a TEACHer's job is to TEACH. Wow, I guess that was a crazy idea now that I think about it. Based on your and other libby's posts, you think a teacher's job is to babysit, collect free healthcare, count the days down to their pension kicks in, and protest when told to by their union bosses.

    One question: How do you excuse the six or more teachers that passed these people on to the next grade knowing they couldn't even read. If they can't read a job application, they sure as hell couldn't read a history or geography book. Yet each teacher passed the problem off to the next one, who then passed them on to the next one, ad nauseum.

    I never said that teachers were the major problem with these kid's life, but they sure as hell are the major reason they can't even read.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #85
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Clearly it's all the union's fault, and there are definitely not any additional social or economic factors that lead to this situation. And definitely not any educational factors like inner city schools being grossly overcrowded and underfunded. Nope. Definitely just the unions.

    Conservatives have turned teachers into the enemy. We're ****ing doomed.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Weíll say what? Something like ďnothing happenedĒ ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Clearly it's all the union's fault, and there are definitely not any additional social or economic factors that lead to this situation. And definitely not any educational factors like inner city schools being grossly overcrowded and underfunded. Nope. Definitely just the unions.

    Conservatives have turned teachers into the enemy. We're ****ing doomed.
    If I only succeeded in getting my job 50% completed, I'd be fired. These teachers should too, but unfortunately for the poor people in Detroit, unions won't allow that to happen.

    Unions prevent unqualified teachers from being fired.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    If I only succeeded in getting my job 50% completed, I'd be fired. These teachers should too, but unfortunately for the poor people in Detroit, unions won't allow that to happen.

    Unions prevent unqualified teachers from being fired.
    No, administrators who don't know how to fire teachers prevent teachers from being fired. Due process =/= inability to be fired.

  8. #88
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    If I only succeeded in getting my job 50% completed, I'd be fired. These teachers should too, but unfortunately for the poor people in Detroit, unions won't allow that to happen.

    Unions prevent unqualified teachers from being fired.
    Pancreatic cancer has a survival rate of less than 5%. Should all oncologists be fired?

    It's silly to make blanket statements about this sort of thing when you didn't grow up in those homes, live in that city, or go to those schools. There are far more variables at work here than just the teacher.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Weíll say what? Something like ďnothing happenedĒ ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No, administrators who don't know how to fire teachers prevent teachers from being fired. Due process =/= inability to be fired.
    Guess you never heard of tenure. I suggest you look it up. And that's not even counting the hoops that must be jumped through to fire non-tenured teachers due to union restrictions and contractual requirements.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #90
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Pancreatic cancer has a survival rate of less than 5%. Should all oncologists be fired?

    It's silly to make blanket statements about this sort of thing when you didn't grow up in those homes, live in that city, or go to those schools. There are far more variables at work here than just the teacher.

    No what's silly is your asinine straw man attempt at comparing a teacher to a doctor treating cancer patients with little hope of survival.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •