Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 256

Thread: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

  1. #211
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The Report
    http://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.co...port_final.pdf

    I'll leave the commentary to others, then again... my bet is it's because the teachers aren't paid enough for their fabulous performance.

    It can't get any worse, so why not try something different, radical... like vouchers and ridding the city of unionized teachers?

    .
    Half the people from Detroit can read! Wow! That's great news.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #212
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    "Most of the rest of the world" does not get by just fine.
    Really??? Got any facts to back that up.

    I know I'm getting along fine without one, along with every single person I know and work with.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #213
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    it is not desirable to have teachers with no pension
    you mean social security isn't good enough?

  4. #214
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Really??? Got any facts to back that up.

    I know I'm getting along fine without one, along with every single person I know and work with.
    80% of the world lives on less than $10 a day. "Most of the rest of the world" does not get by just fine. You're right, most of the world doesn't have pensions...probably because they don't even have money.

    Poverty Facts and Stats ? Global Issues

  5. #215
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    80% of the world lives on less than $10 a day. "Most of the rest of the world" does not get by just fine. You're right, most of the world doesn't have pensions...probably because they don't even have money.

    Poverty Facts and Stats ? Global Issues
    Awww, they obviously need to form a union and all their troubles will be solved. Meanwhile the rest of us will take care of ourselves without depending on a union pension.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #216
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Awww, they obviously need to form a union and all their troubles will be solved. Meanwhile the rest of us will take care of ourselves without depending on a union pension.
    What are you even talking about? My point is that it's beyond dumb, in general, to say "most of the rest of the world" is doing just fine. The relative crap that most of the world is dealing with has nothing to do with pensions or unions so I have no idea why you would even bring them up. First, you're wrong about everybody else being "just fine" and now you're wrong about pensions and unions having anything to with it. Don't talk about what you don't understand. If you want to make a case about pensions and unions stick to places where pensions and unions are relevant, not to places where people make $10/day.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What are you even talking about? My point is that it's beyond dumb, in general, to say "most of the rest of the world" is doing just fine. The relative crap that most of the world is dealing with has nothing to do with pensions or unions so I have no idea why you would even bring them up. First, you're wrong about everybody else being "just fine" and now you're wrong about pensions and unions having anything to with it. Don't talk about what you don't understand. If you want to make a case about pensions and unions stick to places where pensions and unions are relevant, not to places where people make $10/day.
    Maybe next time you should try actually reading the post I originally responded to and you might understand the context.

    To make my point clearer just for you........"Most of the rest of the world is doing just fine WITHOUT A PENSION". Got it now ????

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    03-22-16 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    The problems in the Detroit Schools have nothing to do with unions or funding. It's strictly societal.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Half the people from Detroit can read! Wow! That's great news.
    Better than you thought, eh? LOL

    I wonder what percentage of Detroit can read beyond an 8th-grade level?

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Five employees of the Detroit public school system were charged Wednesday with multiple felonies as part of an investigation into alleged corruption and the loss of tens of millions of dollars in school funds.
    Detroit School Woes Deepen - WSJ.com

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •