Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 256

Thread: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

  1. #111
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There is a problem with warehousing children in public schools and counting warm bodies for pay sake and not adjusting methodology when your practices are failing. You poke yourself in the eye 20 times there is a pretty good chance its still going to hurt like hell the 21st time. Private schools require active parent participation. They require motivation and success. They dont keep ****ty teachers because they are tenured. They succeed or die.
    And you would bitch and moan and call teachers storm troopers if they forced parents to participate in children's educations in the home. I just see some GM CEO working 20 hours a day, being told he needs to spend 3 hours a night teaching his children. LOL! Do I sense the gestapo mentality coming on?
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  2. #112
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There is a problem with warehousing children in public schools and counting warm bodies for pay sake and not adjusting methodology when your practices are failing. You poke yourself in the eye 20 times there is a pretty good chance its still going to hurt like hell the 21st time. Private schools require active parent participation. They require motivation and success. They dont keep ****ty teachers because they are tenured. They succeed or die.
    that is inherent in mandatory education. if you says tudent have to be there, at some level you end up warehousing.

    And how do you know teachers don't adjust their methodology? As this would be factually incorrect, as there is a ton of continuing education and efforts to improve, often dictated from above as well as on their own.

    Private schools get more aprents who are likely to be active, have more freedom to kick students out, but this has nothing to do with the teachingt itself. Nor is anything the teacher can control.

    And frankly, though more difficult, pulic schools can fire even tenured teachers. During negotiations, we can fight to make those easier, but what evidence do you ahve that this is a large problem concerning student outcomes? It may cost some money to fire them, but that is not the same as saying they are a major reason for overall failure of students.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #113
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Well when all signs point to YES.......only a liberal could point to NO.........

    The Poorest American Cities of 2008 (1-30)


    What do all these cities have in common?

    .......besides high poverty, high crime, an abundance of Public Unions, and the most pathetic public school systems in the country?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Republican govenors controlling the dole.
    Last edited by shintao; 05-06-11 at 04:06 PM.
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  4. #114
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    And you would bitch and moan and call teachers storm troopers if they forced parents to participate in children's educations in the home. I just see some GM CEO working 20 hours a day, being told he needs to spend 3 hours a night teaching his children. LOL! Do I sense the gestapo mentality coming on?
    Nope...I go entirely the other direction. I dont give a damn about little Johnny if little Johnny doesnt give a damn about himself. I say little Johnny doesnt want to study little Johnny doesnt belong in school. Sorry pal...I dont fit your little narrow minded stereotype.

  5. #115
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    Republican govenors controling the dole.
    those cities have sucked through GOP and DEM administrations. try again



  6. #116
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Zimmer! You hit the nail on the head! We aren't paying their teachers enough. And it certainly has nothing to do with how the teachers teach. The students just aren't pickin' up what the teachers are puttin' down. They're all brilliant educators, highly motivated and, Lord knows, are able to motivate kids!! It's those damn students. It's their parents' faults. It's poverty. Of those two things we're certain. But it's absolutely positively not the fault of the teachers or the system. I'm glad you got that oh-so-right.

    *sarcasm*
    No, it is not the teachers, and what is this motivate kids all about?

    The study is flawed, because we have no idea how many of the subjects have been residents of Michigan through-out their educational years, if any!

    Since 53% are not illiterate, it indicates the teacher did teach correctly (Some A's, B's, C's, D's,...), and some other factor is responsible for the failures. Perhaps the failures are from getting a private education. Perhaps they are illegals or immigrants with no lingo. The affairs of the union? LMAO!! Maybe it was the GM car they drive!!
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  7. #117
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Nope...I go entirely the other direction. I dont give a damn about little Johnny if little Johnny doesnt give a damn about himself. I say little Johnny doesnt want to study little Johnny doesnt belong in school. Sorry pal...I dont fit your little narrow minded stereotype.
    I agree with you!
    Last edited by shintao; 05-06-11 at 04:10 PM.
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  8. #118
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    those cities have sucked through GOP and DEM administrations. try again
    I shouldn't even respond here, as it is so far off the topic we would have to pump BM sunlight & beer to wake him up.
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  9. #119
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    I think many people look at these big cities with their illiteracy rates and will instantly, and unjustifiably blame democrats or any politician. Fact of the matter is, inner-city blacks typically will come from very broken families, with bad family support, or parents that alternatively have to work extra hard to make ends meet. I look at Covington, KY where I lived for awhile and is right across the river from Cincinnati at Holmes high school. Not only has the student body improved in state testing and done better academically due to radical changes and accepting the realities of today's society, Holmes also won the state championship in 2009 so athletically they do very well also.

    I lived in Gallatin County a very rural part of Kentucky for quite some time, vast majority white, and they had bad testing and illiteracy problems as well. However these problems didn't stem from family problems, rather (and I'm being serious) an interest in moon shining, agriculture, and an over all consensus amongst student that the dumber you were, the better you were. There is a lot of bad things that go on in all kinds of communities when it comes to education, any party trying to narrow it down to the opposing party being at fault is just silly.
    "Weíre going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and thatís crazy." -Reagan

  10. #120
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Canít Read

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I think many people look at these big cities with their illiteracy rates and will instantly, and unjustifiably blame democrats or any politician. Fact of the matter is, inner-city blacks typically will come from very broken families, with bad family support, or parents that alternatively have to work extra hard to make ends meet. I look at Covington, KY where I lived for awhile and is right across the river from Cincinnati at Holmes high school. Not only has the student body improved in state testing and done better academically due to radical changes and accepting the realities of today's society, Holmes also won the state championship in 2009 so athletically they do very well also.

    I lived in Gallatin County a very rural part of Kentucky for quite some time, vast majority white, and they had bad testing and illiteracy problems as well. However these problems didn't stem from family problems, rather (and I'm being serious) an interest in moon shining, agriculture, and an over all consensus amongst student that the dumber you were, the better you were. There is a lot of bad things that go on in all kinds of communities when it comes to education, any party trying to narrow it down to the opposing party being at fault is just silly.
    so where are you now, I work downtown Cincinnati



Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •