Best solution is to make it available, for viewing only, for certain people only. Congress, military leaders, important govt. people, foreign leaders, 911 victims relatives, major news organizations. 1. You get enough acceptable transparancy. 2. You keep it from being every right wingnuts avatar.
It is being shown to members of congress.
Though, from the article it seems that the picture was not supposed to be released. The leaked photo will certainly find its way to the web soon enough.
Last edited by ADG; 05-04-11 at 03:37 PM. Reason: hit the submit button prematurely...
"Action expresses priorities."
Just showing how both sides can play at this game of "it's my (party's) perogative to change may (our party's) mind".
Sarcasm aside, personally I think it's a mistake not to release a picture of OBL dead. Without it the only thing we have is the word of people who weren't there to see events as they unfolded. Let's look at the facts:
1. Covert special-ops led by the U.S.; no coalition forces (to maintain absolute secrecy).
2. Recent news reports stating that no one in the Situation Room, not even the President himself, actually saw OBL get shot.
3. All parties who could be witnesses including the alleged courier and his brother who led them to OBL are all dead except OBL's 4th wife and children who were present.
4. Both wife #4 and the children (actual witnesses to OBL's death) are now reportedly in the custody of Pakistan government. Hmmmm....
5. U.S. military (Navy) buries the body of OBL at sea...OBL is now swimmin' with the fishies. (I hope Jaws loves the dark meat! )
6. Photos of OBL too gruesome to release to the public; there's concern for retaliation by Muslim extremists/Al Quada remnants. (Haven't we already pissed them off more than enough? How much angrier is a photo of their dead defacto leader going to make them?)
Release a photo!
I would have accepted the wife's testimony of what happened had she'd been brought into U.S. custody, but because she's been released to the Pakistan government...again, no witnesses.
While I'm really hoping OBL's death is true, this entire situation is starting to have the makings of a classic Mafia hit..."take 'em out; dispose of the body; leave no witnesses!"
I'm usually on the President's side, but in this case I think he has it wrong. This was as important to the American people if not the world as ensuring that Hitler was dead after WWII. All not releasing a picture does is throw the issue right over into conspiracy theary circles.
Last edited by Objective Voice; 05-04-11 at 04:02 PM.
... I'm waiting for Vicky to show us all where Obama said he would "definitely" release the photos.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK