Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 121

Thread: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

  1. #111
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by ADG View Post
    The burial was not done for him or his followers. Even Muslims who hated bin Laden would have been offended if he was not buried properly. This was PR, and a gesture that we are not at war with Islam, but with the terrorists who hide behind the Qu'ran to commit murder.
    Do these Muslims give a flying flip about how the people bin Laden murdered were buried? Why we cater to this abortion of religion and human rights is beyond me. And the mere fact that Pakistan harbored and protected this man for a decade makes this country an enemy in my mind.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Considering the opinions I have seen online from the majority of everyday Muslims is one of relief that Bin Laden is dead and can't bastardize their faith any more, I am a little confused as to why we'd afford him any special religious treatment in death.

    Oh well. At least the ****er is gone. He and Saddam can take turns porking Satan in Hell.
    Last edited by Whovian; 05-03-11 at 12:43 PM.

  3. #113
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    1 in 30.....................
    Nu-uh. 1 in 365.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #114
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    -- perform an autopsy (no matter what they say, you know they did this), take a bunch of tissue samples for DNA analysis... among other things...
    Apparently if an autopsy is needed then the 24 hour rule can be waived.

    US officials say Osama Bin Laden's body was treated with respect and buried at sea, but some Muslims argue there was no good reason for not burying it on land.

    Islamic tradition requires the dead to be buried as soon as possible, unless an autopsy is required.

    The US military took this requirement very seriously, burying the body within hours.

    BBC Link

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    -- I think to announce that he was buried at sea will be seen as a desecration and might make it more likely that he will be made some kind of a martyr, I have no idea how to avoid this out come --
    Well spotted, other muslims are already beginning to discuss the sea burial and this will cause problems.

    Why at sea?

    According to UK-based Imam Dr Abduljalil Sajid,

    --snip--

    There is no necessity for an imam to be present, he says, but the procedures should be carried out by Muslims at least one of whom "knows the minimum basic Muslim law of burial".

    Whether any such person was present is impossible to know, he says, based on the limited information provided. But he also questions whether sea burial was appropriate in this case.

    It is correct to carry out a burial at sea when someone dies on a sea journey, he says, but in this case there was no sound reason for it.

    --snip--

    Mohammed Qudah, a professor of Islamic law at the University of Jordan, who told the Associated Press news agency that burying Bin Laden at sea was not forbidden if there was nobody to receive the body and provide a Muslim burial.

    But he went on: "It's neither true nor correct to claim that there was nobody in the Muslim world ready to receive Bin Laden's body."

    The agency also quoted Dubai's grand mufti Mohammed al-Qubaisi, saying that sea burials were permissible only in extraordinary circumstances, adding: "This is not one of them."

    "If the family does not want him, it's really simple in Islam: You dig up a grave anywhere, even on a remote island, you say the prayers and that's it," he said.

    BBC Link
    Personally, I think the US did the right thing (including not bothering with taking him alive) and within the circumstances. It appears other countries did not want him and the US did not have the time or luxury of contacting all countries of the world to find a free island space as suggested by Dubai's Mohammed al-Qubaisi.

    What also bothers me is that many of these imams now speaking out on how a muslim should be buried are suggesting that Bin Laden deserved a proper religious burial.

    Originally also, Muhammed wanted muslim ritual to be different from jewish and christian ritual - so I suppose the US has accidentally come across a novel way of differentiation from the jewish and christian practice of burying people in the ground....

  5. #115
    Advisor ADG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Purple Mountains Majesty
    Last Seen
    07-02-11 @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    399

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Do these Muslims give a flying flip about how the people bin Laden murdered were buried?
    Well, "these Muslims" that I was referring to are the 1 billion Muslims (I think that is the count now) living in the U.S.A, Afganistan and elsewhere that do not support al-Quaeda, but who would look favorably on the burial as respectful to their beliefs. As I said, it is PR.

    And the mere fact that Pakistan harbored and protected this man for a decade makes this country an enemy in my mind.
    I totally agree. From certain reports I've heard, our operatives went out of their way NOT to inform the Pakistani's of the mission because they didn't want bin Laden tipped off. The Pakistani's didn't know about the operation until the helicopter was taking off from the compound after killing bin Laden. The Pakistani's were going to scramble jets to take out the helicopters and had asked us if we had any aircraft in the area, and it was only then that we disclosed what had happened. This tells me that our government knows the kind of 'ally' we have in Pakistan.
    "Action expresses priorities."
    ~Mohandas Gandhi

  6. #116
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    01-12-12 @ 02:55 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    205

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by ADG View Post
    Shablon, I'm new to this forum, and I haven't heard this before. Is there a thread that explains how Zionists were resonsible for 9/11, and if not, could you start one and explain your position? Thanks!!
    Oh, please let's not get into idiotic conspiracy theories again. In fact why isn't there a section for conspiracy theories?

  7. #117
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    01-12-12 @ 02:55 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    205

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Even the most heinous serial killer is given a "decent" funeral after his execution.

  8. #118
    User megrimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara CA
    Last Seen
    09-18-11 @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    103

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by tjinta ibis View Post
    Oh, please let's not get into idiotic conspiracy theories again. In fact why isn't there a section for conspiracy theories?
    There is Conspiracy Theories
    You can't reason somebody out of something they were never reasoned into in the first place.

  9. #119
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by tjinta ibis View Post
    Even the most heinous serial killer is given a "decent" funeral after his execution.
    I was thinking about this earlier on when a friend pointed out that Megatron was buried at sea too and look what a disaster we had to put up with when "Transformers 2" came out....


  10. #120
    Advisor ADG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Purple Mountains Majesty
    Last Seen
    07-02-11 @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    399

    Re: Official: Bin Laden buried at sea

    Quote Originally Posted by tjinta ibis View Post
    Oh, please let's not get into idiotic conspiracy theories again. In fact why isn't there a section for conspiracy theories?
    I understand. I can't help but be curious, though. I guess I'm a conspiracy theory rubber necker.
    "Action expresses priorities."
    ~Mohandas Gandhi

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •