Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    By that logic couldn't one just as easily state the inverse? How would stating "It seems to me that the farming industry has problems of their own (in this case water shortage) that fishermen shouldn't care about." be any different?
    I'm not sure how that changes what I said or how it gives permission for anything, but ok.

  2. #12
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not sure how that changes what I said or how it gives permission for anything, but ok.
    It doesn't change a thing in regards to what you said. I am simply pointing out that you are making this issue very one sided, seemingly based off one very brief article.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    It doesn't change a thing in regards to what you said. I am simply pointing out that you are making this issue very one sided, seemingly based off one very brief article.
    The issue is one sided when the government picks a side.

  4. #14
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    I posted this the last time this issue presented itself. It's slightly dated but still gives a fair perspective to the situation from both sides.

    Water Shortage Wilts Calif.'s San Joaquin Valley - Newsweek

    But Barry Nelson, the Natural Resources Defense Council advocate behind the fish lawsuits, says the fish vs. people argument is nonsense. Even after three years of drought, the Central Valley Project (CVP) is still making half of its water deliveries to farms in the valley. Westlands just isn't getting that water. "There's a myth in the valley about the delta smelt, and it's really a tragedy," he says. "I don't mean for a moment to suggest that those small communities on the west side aren't seeing impacts; they are. They're seeing the impact of drought, and those impacts are real and they're hard." Nelson contends that the fish aren't the problem; it's the way the system is set up. Just adjacent to Westlands, he says, four other contractors are getting a full 100 percent of their water allocation this year, despite the drought. And while Westlands has adopted some of the most water-efficient irrigation methods in the business, other farmers in the valley with senior water rights are under no pressure to conserve. The result is a patchwork valley, where a Westlands farmer like Mark Borba is forced to fallow land while his neighbor has excess water that he can sell at a hefty profit. Buying that excess and pumping water from underground is sustainable to a point, says Borba. But the expenses—and the poor quality of the underground water—would drive the business into the ground in the long term.
    Very good article, actually shows both sides of the story quite well and show that there is more than is shown in the news report and the OP. It shows that there is and has been quite a struggle in resource management between northern and southern California, and is being exacerbated by a three year long drought. On top of that, shows that it's not "all about the fish" as the OP and video state. It's a bad situation, but it's not as simple as "let's cut off the farmers to save the fish" In fact, it's more about keeping an ecosystem in place that is trying to balance both agriculture and marine life (mainly salmon).

    Again, this is a really tricky situation as it would involve and effect a lot of people on both sides of the issue, but I don't think it's as heartless as it is being made to seem.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    It doesn't change a thing in regards to what you said. I am simply pointing out that you are making this issue very one sided, seemingly based off one very brief article.
    It doesn't change the fact that the whole thing started in 2007 to save a 2" fish that was endangered. That ended up with families waiting in lines for food and importing food from China. Has everyone gone nuts in America? I'm sure other countries think so.

    Ag Alert - Policymakers, farmers ponder smelt decision

    Fallout continues from the Aug. 31 federal court decision aimed at protecting delta smelt as farmers and politicians try to translate what the ruling means for agriculture and the state. The judge's order changes the way water is exported from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and could end up reducing water supplies for farms and homes by 2 million acre-feet a year.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  6. #16
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The issue is one sided when the government picks a side.
    Well that's just a logical fallacy. Clearly your opposition, as well as Palin's in this situation, indicates that there are in fact two sides. Flipping a coin that lands on heads hardly makes tails nonexistent.

    Also, I am not trying to tell you what to believe. I do, however, wish that you would read the article posted above in full before making any more decisions on your position. The article linked in the OP of this thread is just far too limited in scope to give a reader ANY idea what is going on.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    Well that's just a logical fallacy. Clearly your opposition, as well as Palin's in this situation, indicates that there are in fact two sides. Flipping a coin that lands on heads hardly makes tails nonexistent.

    Also, I am not trying to tell you what to believe. I do, however, wish that you would read the article posted above in full before making any more decisions on your position. The article linked in the OP of this thread is just far too limited in scope to give a reader ANY idea what is going on.
    Or I just don't care about the fish and care more about the freedom of both sides.

  8. #18
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Or I just don't care about the fish and care more about the freedom of both sides.
    Yet you have shown NO evidence that you understand the subject matter at hand. I am not implying that you are wrong, just uninformed. I implore you, read the article that I posted and give your thoughts.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    Yet you have shown NO evidence that you understand the subject matter at hand. I am not implying that you are wrong, just uninformed. I implore you, read the article that I posted and give your thoughts.
    Not all that interested to read all that much. Thanks though.

  10. #20
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Palin decries water restrictions at Calif. college

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Not all that interested to read all that much. Thanks though.
    That's fine, and this will be my last post to you unless you change your mind at some point in time. You have stated yourself that you have no desire to further your knowledge on this situation beyond one viewpoint based on a very short article. I doubt anything I say could sway you, even though if you were to look at my post history that I am not advocate of either side. I am just sick of people reading one thing and pretending they have a grasp on the subject matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •