Page 98 of 146 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 1460

Thread: Osama Bin Laden is dead

  1. #971
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    tell it to the inspector general of the cia
    Do you have any links indicating that the Inspector General of the CIA believes that water boarding provided the results? Most articles I have read claim that the information came much later.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  2. #972
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    lol, right, cuz links are everything. If it ain't on the net, it didn't happen, right?

    ughhhh......
    Yeah, just because you say it happened, that makes it true! As usual, you can't provide any credible source to back up your claims - and we're supposed to take your word for it,



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  3. #973
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Yeah, just because you say it happened, that makes it true! As usual, you can't provide any credible source to back up your claims - and we're supposed to take your word for it,
    Most people have life experiences which are "un-provable" simply because there was no-one there to post pictures, or perhaps they happened before Facebook and youtube existed. Btw, they weren't always there, Mertex.

    You can go through life believing nothing that is not in black and white if you choose, but you are going to be a rather boring and predictable person as a result. There's a lot more to the world than what's written in Wikipedia, hon.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #974
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Most people have life experiences which are "un-provable" simply because there was no-one there to post pictures, or perhaps they happened before Facebook and youtube existed. Btw, they weren't always there, Mertex.
    Of course, the fact that you were water boarded 6 times is "unprovable" but we are supposed to take your word for it? Maybe your friends at a social gathering will take you at your word, but here on these Forums, you need to have some credible source backing your statements, otherwise they are just laughable. Especially, when we have links to show that CIA officers were unable to stand it for more than 14 seconds, and a right-wing radio talk show host had it done to prove, like you, that it was not a big deal and not torture only to tell the whole country the opposite?

    Erich "Mancow" Muller, a Chicago-based conservative radio host, recently decided to silence critics of waterboarding once and for all. He would undergo the procedure himself, and then he would be able to confidently convince others that it is not, in fact, torture.

    Or so he thought. Instead, Muller came out convinced.

    "It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke," Mancow said. "It is such an odd feeling to have water poured down your nose with your head back... It was instantaneous... and I don't want to say this: absolutely torture."

    Mancow Waterboarded (VIDEO): Conservative Radio Host Say It's Torture




    You can go through life believing nothing that is not in black and white if you choose, but you are going to be a rather boring and predictable person as a result. There's a lot more to the world than what's written in Wikipedia, hon.
    I'm sure there is, but if you want to be credible on these Forums, you might want to come up with facts to back up your fairy tales. I would much rather be boring and unpredictable then to be laughed at for making up la-la-land tales.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  5. #975
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Do you have any links indicating that the Inspector General of the CIA believes that water boarding provided the results?
    my first post in this thread, wapo, august 29, 2009

    but that's not exactly how the sources say it went down

    ksm offered the courier's nom de guerre NOT under eit's but only AFTER "his spirit was broken" by the extremely rough treatment he was subjected to, somewhere in east europe, in the month after his capture

    the "avowed and truculent enemy of the united states," after the eit's, underwent a "transformation," a "reversal"

    he "cooperated, and to an extraordinary extent," he became the cia's "preeminent source on al qaeda"

    it is true beyond ksm the intelligence chain involved many sources, years of time, hundreds of legs, thousands of miles

    and outside of ksm and al libi, also waterboarded, no further eit's were used on the road to ubl in my sources

    but a puzzle as complex as the way ksm was found, without its "preeminent source...."

    it's clear that ksm and al libi played central roles in rooting out the lead

    more couldn't really be said, but no less either

    read the 4 links above, wapo, abc, telegraph and reuters

  6. #976
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Of course, the fact that you were water boarded 6 times is "unprovable" but we are supposed to take your word for it? Maybe your friends at a social gathering will take you at your word, but here on these Forums, you need to have some credible source backing your statements, otherwise they are just laughable. Especially, when we have links to show that CIA officers were unable to stand it for more than 14 seconds, and a right-wing radio talk show host had it done to prove, like you, that it was not a big deal and not torture only to tell the whole country the opposite?

    Erich "Mancow" Muller, a Chicago-based conservative radio host, recently decided to silence critics of waterboarding once and for all. He would undergo the procedure himself, and then he would be able to confidently convince others that it is not, in fact, torture.

    Or so he thought. Instead, Muller came out convinced.

    "It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke," Mancow said. "It is such an odd feeling to have water poured down your nose with your head back... It was instantaneous... and I don't want to say this: absolutely torture."

    Mancow Waterboarded (VIDEO): Conservative Radio Host Say It's Torture





    I'm sure there is, but if you want to be credible on these Forums, you might want to come up with facts to back up your fairy tales. I would much rather be boring and unpredictable then to be laughed at for making up la-la-land tales.
    I never said that is wasn't unpleasant....I said it causes no physical harm, therefore it's not torture.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #977
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I never said that is wasn't unpleasant....I said it causes no physical harm, therefore it's not torture.
    So torture only involves physical harm?

  8. #978
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I never said that is wasn't unpleasant....I said it causes no physical harm, therefore it's not torture.
    What a strange way to qualify torture. So. What have you renamed "Mental Torture"?

  9. #979
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Let me preface this by saying I have absolutely no idea what waterboarding is like as I haven't been waterboarded. All I know is what I've heard from various sources. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is waterboarding not essentially controlled drowning? I nearly drowned when I was younger, so I know what that feels like. It's horrible. I wouldn't just call it "unpleasant". I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put much faith into any kind of information gathered from this practice. I could see how that could damage someone psychologically. A person would probably want to say anything to get out of that procedure. That makes me question how effective it is. As to whether or not it's torture, that depends entirely on how a person defines torture.

  10. #980
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I have absolutely no idea what waterboarding is like as I haven't been waterboarded. All I know is what I've heard from various sources. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is waterboarding not essentially controlled drowning? I nearly drowned when I was younger, so I know what that feels like. It's horrible. I wouldn't just call it "unpleasant". I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put much faith into any kind of information gathered from this practice. I could see how that could damage someone psychologically. A person would probably want to say anything to get out of that procedure. That makes me question how effective it is. As to whether or not it's torture, that depends entirely on how a person defines torture.
    No, what it does is make you feel like you are drowning without in anyway drowning you.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •