Page 20 of 146 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1460

Thread: Osama Bin Laden is dead

  1. #191
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    If you knew what it felt like loosing your parents in a car bomb you would know this terrible yet very real feeling, but you seem to be in lala land.
    Now you are trying to bring personal feelings into it.
    You have no idea about war and suffering and losing family members
    Last edited by Laila; 05-02-11 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Edited on purpose


  2. #192
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    LOL
    Celebrating death.

    Go right ahead. Who said don't do it? I didn't even mention celebrating his death

    The leadership of Al Qaeda is most likely intact; his death was always inevitable. Like I said, any leader worth his title would prepare for such an eventuality. Bin Laden's death will be spun by the Islamists as some sort of martyr death and he will be revered by his followers with no doubt many aspiring to be like him.

    Have I mentioned how amusing it is he was in an allies country.
    Do people not think Pakistan's ruling elite had an idea he was there? Probably protected by the local population which can only explain his long, successful hide and seek game
    I wouldn't celebrate the death, but I welcome it. I'd have preferred to see him put on trial and interrogated to reveal all he knew and to see him humiliated and discredited in the eyes of his followers as much as his enemies, but you can't have everything.

    Big questions remain about how Pakistan the country, not necessarily the government, protected him for so long. That issue has a long way to go before it's played out.

    Of course AQ was never this Bond-like, centrally-controlled criminal organisation. He probably had no direct contact with AQ in the Maghreb or Yemen for a long time, but the symbolic impact on both AQ's supporters' and enemies' morale cannot be dismissed, any more than it can be quantified. I'm sure he and AQ prepared for it, that doesn't mean that it will not have major negative effect on the organisation. Would it be better that this had never happened? That the US concentrated solely on the operatives rather than the figure-head? Hell no!

    Despite your reservations, don't you think that this is a positive development?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #193
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Now you are trying to bring personal feelings into it.
    You have no idea about war and suffering and losing family members
    It is not your grandparents who were killed with western weapons, given to them by the West and US with the backs turned so the dictator can do anything he pleases. It is not your country which has been torn apart and plundered by many Western countries because of their national interest.
    Sorry for using my human emotions. Typical Islamist apologism, blaming the people who gave the weapons and not the idiots who bought and used them. Flawed logic? I think so.

    No offense but what country are we talking about? Somalia? Lets be honest that country became a sh*t hole without our help. I'm personally sick of being blamed for all of the ills of your broken society. Get over it. You guys didn't catch up with the times and lost out.

    It is not you who has lost tens of thousands of members of the same tribe, all relatives. All killed with Western support and weaponary and to then top it off. Those behind it given immunity in the West and you know they will never face justice
    Again, blaming everybody other than the perpetrators of the crime. Evidence we gave them weapons to kill their own people?
    Last edited by kaya'08; 05-02-11 at 06:55 AM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #194
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-13 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    128

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    It's like saying people couldn't celebrate the death of Hitler.


    .
    Well, as a wise man once said, "The winners write history." I think it was Aesop. Very smart man btw.

  5. #195
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    ROTFLMFAO... It's great we got the corksoaker and motherflocker, but this will not be the rabbit in the hat trick that adds any meat on the bones of electing Obama for a second round of furious arrogance and anti-Americanism.

    Obama has assembled a record of incompetence and partisanship that dwarfs this most fortuitous incident, and this time he won't be able to run and hide.

    .
    You...

    Talking about someone being partisan?

    Please.

    I mean come on political discourse is political discourse, but it doesn't speak well to anyone who says another person is partisan, whilst at the same time calling that person "anti-American"...

    Obama, and many people in the United States perhaps feel there is a different way of doing things. Obama has compromised with the other side, and he's done things he didn't want to do, because Obama isn't just the president of the people who agree with him, and the people who hate him.

    HE IS the president of the United States. And yes perhaps he hasn't done the best job, but the fact is, I bet he loves his country just as much as you do, you just can't see it that way because your own partisan blinders are on.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Sorry for using my human emotions. Typical Islamist apologism, blaming the people who gave the weapons and not the idiots who bought and used them. Flawed logic? I think so. No offense but what country are we talking about? Somalia? Because that country is a sh*t hole and they didn't need any Western interference.

    Again, blaming everybody other than the perpetrators of crime. Evidence we gave them weapons to kill their own people?
    Ah, so the people who sell the weapons have no responsibility or duty. Gotcha

    Let's get back on subject and avoid personal issues being brought into the debate
    Last edited by Laila; 05-02-11 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Edited due to harshness


  7. #197
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Animus View Post
    Well, as a wise man once said, "The winners write history." I think it was Aesop. Very smart man btw.
    Not always. Spain is the perfect example of where this didn't happen.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #198
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    And no doubt your parents were in the wrong time and place. What is your point?
    I have no idea what this means.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #199
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I have no idea what this means.
    I edited it all out, don't worry and let's get back on topic.

    For the record, I apologise for what I wrote. My emotions have gotten the better of me
    Last edited by Laila; 05-02-11 at 07:02 AM.


  10. #200
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Ah, so the people who sell the weapons have no responsibility or duty. Gotcha

    Let's get back on subject and avoid personal issues being brought into the debate
    I'm personally sick of being blamed for all of the ills of your broken society. It is wrong to think Westerners gave your leaders weapons with the intention that it would be turned against you.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •