Page 13 of 146 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1460

Thread: Osama Bin Laden is dead

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Yeah. Long time ago. Truth Detector was hammered after making a sock puppet.
    I thought you were talking about Turtle.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. Keep up this sentiment as such idiocy will ensure another thrashing in 2012.
    Sorry, but in case you don't have a TV, Obama just won 2012 tonight.

  3. #123
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Yes, we screwed up royally not getting him in 2002 or 2003.... that was a major FU
    Hence why Bush was somewhat right in basically calling off the search. Osama became irrelevant.

    You are acknowledging that it might be important yet means *****? Which is it?
    Read carefully.

    This is no question a symbolic victory.
    This means nothing in terms of ending the actual conflicts.
    Two very different things.

    Sorry, but its more important that we eventually got the guy then allow him to life in luxury in Pakistan. Prehaps you would like to make the argument we should have left him alone or perhaps we could have just sent a FedEx envelope with a letter that said "we know where you live" We attack and the guy is going to make a choice to live or to die. That is going to be his choice. Our choice is to attack or not. If you have the intell, then what on earth are you suggesting? Please explain, as at first blush your position makes zero sense.
    Let's recap.
    1) Osama has no control
    2) Osama has become functionally irrelevant
    3) Killing Osama removes our biggest propaganda attack on Islamic terrorism
    4) Killing Osama likely generates huge martyr issues

    My question now is why didn't we just gas the compound?

    I'm not one for symbolic victories. I'm for getting us out of this mess without compromising security.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #124
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. Keep up this sentiment as such idiocy will ensure another thrashing in 2012.

    You know nothing of Bush's "efforts" in pursuing bin Laden. Who are you? Nobody. You're half the problem.

    Obama was sat down and explained how the world really is after he got elected, and he abandoned the spineless, naive childishness his supporters cling to. He had to. I'd bet what he learned scared the absolute hell out of him.

    The one thing I admire about Obama is that he intensely loves his family and fatherhood is something he embraces completely. What he learned those early days, I believe, showed him that what Bush was doing was truly in the best interest of both of their children's futures.

    Hence, Gitmo is alive and well, Iraq efforts have been fortified instead of reduced, Afghanistan is bloodier than ever because of intense battles, and all this is happening amidst involvements in multiple other regime changes in the region.

    Congratulations to Presidents Obama and Bush tonight. Well done, sirs.

    Now, we must ALL be diligent. Response(s) are most certainly coming, of what sophistication and location we don't know.

    I'm also deeply disturbed that Pakistan was not more helpful. They had to know of a mansion this size so different than anything around it, yet they said norhing. India is pissed I'm sure. Different story for another thread and day.
    The facts speak for themselves. Bush did not get the job done. Of course, if you want to investigate the litany of news reports from 2003-2006, it was very clear that the pursuit of Bin Laden and endeavors of Afghanistan were de-emphasized in favor of Iraq. Bush's own words per the posted video are an illustration of this. You are a student of politics. Surely you appreciate Bush's words were measured and designed to level set the American people not to expect Bin Laden to be brought to justice in the near future. This was either because they were not working on it, or Bush was acknowledging Bin Laden was out of our league. Which was it? Perhaps you are of the camp that believes Bin Laden's capabilities exceeded that of US intelligence and the military... for 1o years, no less Do you really believe our intelligence is that weak?

    Obama focused on it and got the job done in 2 years. The facts speak for themselves.

    I take your overly personal tirade as proof that I hit a raw nerve with the truth.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 05-02-11 at 02:56 AM.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    No reason? So apparently handing Islamic terrorism it's soul crushing propaganda defeat is "no reason." Sounds like you have a profit motive in keeping this conflict going indefinitely.
    It wasn't their people who got murdered. So they can but out. That's not complicated. If the "Muslim World" is serious about it's role in the world, it can start learning that there are places where it has no role and no welcoe.

    Really? So you think he'd get an acquittal despite evidence of him taking credit for it? Videos of what amounts to CONFESSIONS of being responsible would render an acquittal? You are crazy.
    The one terrorst Eric Holder put on trial had over 200 charges acquitted and only one guilty, and that a misdemeanor. There's no reason to suppose the present administration would pursue this case vigorously.

    Probably nothing considering how the organization and its affiliates are now run.
    Not likely. The Alpha-Male is going to insist on being in the know and making suggestions.

    Anything else is inconsistent with the caveman mentality of terrorists.

    Look kids. Another person who wants to see Americans dying in foreign fields and treasure leaving American coffers indefinitely.
    Lookiie folks, here's another person who thinks the Perpetual War has an end. He should try to learn the definition of the word Perpetual.

  6. #126
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Every expert on terrorism
    Like....

    You do realize that Afghanistan is merely one part of the world no? That we face Islamic Terrorists from London to Bali?

    Furthermore, check the casualty rates in Afghanistan last year. Disarray you say?

    Obama and Hilary Clinton have been winning the PR war and getting grief from the far-right for doing so. The idiots at Fox News call it the apology tour.
    Do you have anything other than partisan vomit? I can barely tolerate Mayor. To ask me to tolerate a leftist version of him is quite ridiculous.

    Yes, the majority of the world was on our side on 9/11.
    Since? So why did we have to bribe, threaten and extort nations to support the Iraq invasion?

    The majority of the people there condemn terrorism.
    I suggest you revisit Google.

    Turn on your TV. This means something to the majority of Americans.

    It is, finally, some light in the darkness that has been the past decade. Hopefully, more Americans will move toward a pragmatic center, and start ignoring the fear-mongers on both fringes.
    So all you have is more fail I see.

    Nothing about how this is anything more then symbolic. I won't bother asking you to explain something you clearly cannot.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #127
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    It wasn't their people who got murdered.
    Actually hundreds of Muslims were killed in that attack. Furthermore, Muslims are more likely to die of a terrorist attack than non-Muslims.

    And you have entirely failed to address my point. If you do not want to reply to what I said, DO NOT REPLY TO ME.

    The one terrorst Eric Holder put on trial had over 200 charges acquitted and only one guilty, and that a misdemeanor. There's no reason to suppose the present administration would pursue this case vigorously.
    And how many had globally aired video confessions taking responsibility for their acts with hard evidence of planning, funding and training?

    None. More fail from Mayor. I guess that's all I can expect from you. Fail.

    Not likely. The Alpha-Male is going to insist on being in the know and making suggestions.
    Wow. You really have no idea how modern Islamic terrorist cells work do you?

    Anything else is inconsistent with the caveman mentality of terrorists.
    Caveman? Was the IRA a bunch of cavemen? Was the French Resistance to the Nazi a bunch of cavemen? Your views are so simplistic and so ignorant of history that's laughable an adult would even have them.

    Lookiie folks, here's another person who thinks the Perpetual War has an end. He should try to learn the definition of the word Perpetual.
    So you think that we will be fighting this conflict forever? I'm not pushing policy that keeps billions flowing out of our coffers and thousands paying with their lives. You are.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #128
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Sorry, but in case you don't have a TV, Obama just won 2012 tonight.
    I'm sure Americans can talk about it tomorrow at the jobs they don't have, at the $4 gas pumps, and as they consider the impossible debt Obama seems to be making his purpose in life.

    And, unfortunately, after the next several terrorist attacks occur, the symbolic nature of this momentous night will gain their proper perspective.

    And fortunately, you are in such a minor sliver of an incurable minority, you're harmless politically. He wasn't ultimately elected by folks like you, and those most responsible for that disaster have since seen the error in their ways.

  9. #129
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Really?

    I consider myself a reasonably level-headed person. I'm about the farthest thing away from nationalistic there is.

    Yet when I heard this news, I ran into the other room, grabbed my girlfriend, threw on some Ink Spots and danced with her. This isn't about a single man. This is about a small, bright light in a time of darkness. This is about giving people just a tiny bit of faith that their government and their armed forces can serve justice, even in these dark times. This is a symbol that our country can accomplish what we set out to do and follow through on our promise that we would find this son of a bitch and make him pay for what he did.
    Nothing says "American achievement" like a perforated corpse huh? Sorry, I won't be jumping in on the fist-pumping for a briefly sated blood lust nor will I participate in the little jig on someone's grave. My reaction was surprise and remorse. That a thread is set up to allow only rejoicing over a human being's death pains me even more. People finding that reaction reprehensible and immoral only bothers me for what it says about them.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Does this actually change anything?
    no

    ten characters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •