Page 106 of 146 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1460

Thread: Osama Bin Laden is dead

  1. #1051
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    or at least if they did it wouldn't change much if they had never come in contact with a toy gun.
    If someone treated a real gun as a toy gun, them having a toy gun in the past would be irrelevant?

    i think by far and large most mature people wouldn't treat a real gun like a toy gun,
    They treat it as something other than a real gun, that's for sure. How many shootings are "accidents", among adults let alone especially among children?

  2. #1052
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And that's what they do. remember, they're trying to breath.
    That's where you're wrong....no water goes in the lungs during waterboarding.

    Not sure what you mean by deny it, but you're factually incorrect concerning waterboarding. It is and always ahs been torture. If it were as easy as you THINK it woud not do anything. It woudl not even get the confessions it is so successful at getting regardless of actual guilt. however, regardless, we have history that shows we, the US, have considered it torture in the past. And rightly so.
    I am not factually incorrect concerning waterboarding. It isn't and never has been torture.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #1053
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    If someone treated a real gun as a toy gun, them having a toy gun in the past would be irrelevant?

    They treat it as something other than a real gun, that's for sure. How many shootings are "accidents", among adults let alone especially among children?
    Plenty but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with toy guns. I can understand some accidents happen because of a lack of respect for guns, but removing toy guns from the home is a bit too extreme because it does nothing. That, and the fact that children should not be in reach of weaponry full stop, that's negligence on behalf of the parent.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 05-05-11 at 12:47 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #1054
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That's where you're wrong....no water goes in the lungs during waterboarding.
    No, you are the one in error:

    There is a real risk of death from actually drowning or suffering a heart attack or damage to the lungs from inhalation of water

    Waterboarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    In the media, waterboarding is called "simulated drowning," but that's a misnomer. It does not simulate drowning, as the lungs are actually filling with water. There is no way to simulate that. The victim is drowning.

    Read more: I know waterboarding is torture - because I did it myself

    There is No Debate Except for Torture Apologists

    1. Waterboarding is a torture technique. Period. There is no way to gloss over it or sugarcoat it. It has no justification outside of its limited role as a training demonstrator. Our service members have to learn that the will to survive requires them accept and understand that they may be subjected to torture, but that America is better than its enemies and it is one’s duty to trust in your nation and God, endure the hardships and return home with honor.

    2. Waterboarding is not a simulation. Unless you have been strapped down to the board, have endured the agonizing feeling of the water overpowering your gag reflex, and then feel your throat open and allow pint after pint of water to involuntarily fill your lungs, you will not know the meaning of the word.

    Naval Leadership: Waterboarding is Torture… Period



    I am not factually incorrect concerning waterboarding. It isn't and never has been torture.
    Like above, you are factually incorrect. We have prosecuted both foeign soliders and our own for using it, calling it torture. We ahve prosecuted law enforcement offices for using it. We have called it torture and held people accountable for doing it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #1055
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    you gonna follow me from thread to thread and heckle? Come on....you can have any, I told you.
    Wow. So me hitting the "new threads" link equals paranoia on your part. Gotcha.

  6. #1056
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We have prosecuted both foreign soliders and our own for using it, calling it torture. We have prosecuted law enforcement offices for using it. We have called it torture and held people accountable for doing it.


    Exactly. Thank you.

  7. #1057
    Educator
    Ron Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post

    Exactly. Thank you.
    That is not right.

    The Japanese used it on people for fun on thousands of people. We did this to exactly 3 people.

    Those that compare the two simply have no idea what they are talking about.

    The Bush Admin asked where the line was that technically reaches torture.

    They went right up to that line and it stopped terrorist attacks, saved innocent lives, and helped kill OBL.
    The national security of the United States can never be left in the hands of liberals.

  8. #1058
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    05-09-11 @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    156

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead


  9. #1059
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    We have prosecuted both foreign soliders and our own for using it, calling it torture. We have prosecuted law enforcement offices for using it. We have called it torture and held people accountable for doing it.
    We prosecuted Japanese for bombing Shanghai, too. Ever hear the phrase, "To the victors go the spoils"?

  10. #1060
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We prosecuted Japanese for bombing Shanghai, too. Ever hear the phrase, "To the victors go the spoils"?
    Yes, I have. But the point is we called it torture. And we did it so not only against the defeated, but our own.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •