Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 636

Thread: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

  1. #571
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    why in the world should we think that having our incompetent overbureaucratic, politically oriented and misincentivized federal government running our energy policy will help us achieve economic growth? that has been the precise opposite of our experience.

    How has the absence of an energy policy helped stop our spiraling up of world oil prices over the last decade as we approached peak oil? Do you realize how detrimental our high energy cost is to all aspects of our economy?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #572
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Well cpwill, that is a whole lot to take in but am pretty sure somewhere in there my point was to balance the budget and kind of take our country back. Do I really wish to tell China f you? That would be correct

    Or should we simply keep allowing them to ship us crap goods, end jobs all the while killing us with their toxic cheap crap as they pretty much take over our place in the World? Nah. We have allowed them to screw us with toxic lead objects in every orifice for way too long.

    Sure it will be tough at first but we can do this. I am not one that wishes to sit back as I watch MY country slip to #2.. If you are? That is fine too. I am not mad at ya.
    I am no economist expert and only wish the best for the U.S.A.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  3. #573
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    How has the absence of an energy policy helped stop our spiraling up of world oil prices over the last decade as we approached peak oil?
    oh, we've had an energy policy. our energy policy has been to reduce supply, thereby enabling that price spiral.

    Do you realize how detrimental our high energy cost is to all aspects of our economy?
    yup. that's why i'm hoping that the President is serious this time around.

  4. #574
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Well cpwill, that is a whole lot to take in but am pretty sure somewhere in there my point was to balance the budget and kind of take our country back. Do I really wish to tell China f you? That would be correct
    China considers themselves our foe - we would be fools not to take them at their word. But attempting to tell them F You in a manner that merely destroys us more and leaves them in charge is poor strategy.

    Balancing the Budget would immediately give us the ability to turn China's current fiscal advantage into a disadvantage. The old saying goes that if you borrow $100,000, the bank owns you. But if you borrow $100 million, you own the bank (ie, they are dependent on you being good for it). If we were to get to a position where we could legitimately continue to fund our government without economic shocks without borrowing, then we would be able to turn China's debt into a liability for her. Go ahead, China, send another missile over Taiwan. Every time you do, we simply renig on 25% of the bonds you currently hold. Yes, the price of our bonds will fall through the floor as rates spiral. But since we won't be selling any more, we won't care. In addition, balancing the budget and reforming our entitlements will allow us greater latitude to further develop our relationships with our natural allies in the region - India, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan; in an effort to create a Asian version of NATO to hold back the Asian version of the USSR. In the meantime? Them artificially depressing their currency only keeps their people poorer and makes our people richer. Let them continue in this idiotic 21st century mercantilism.

    I want the best for the U.S. too. That's why I don't want to destroy our economy pursuing some kind of "race to the bottom" competition to see which government can screw their own people more. That's a game we lose against a dictatorship.

  5. #575
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    China considers themselves our foe - we would be fools not to take them at their word. But attempting to tell them F You in a manner that merely destroys us more and leaves them in charge is poor strategy.

    Balancing the Budget would immediately give us the ability to turn China's current fiscal advantage into a disadvantage. The old saying goes that if you borrow $100,000, the bank owns you. But if you borrow $100 million, you own the bank (ie, they are dependent on you being good for it). If we were to get to a position where we could legitimately continue to fund our government without economic shocks without borrowing, then we would be able to turn China's debt into a liability for her. Go ahead, China, send another missile over Taiwan. Every time you do, we simply renig on 25% of the bonds you currently hold. Yes, the price of our bonds will fall through the floor as rates spiral. But since we won't be selling any more, we won't care. In addition, balancing the budget and reforming our entitlements will allow us greater latitude to further develop our relationships with our natural allies in the region - India, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan; in an effort to create a Asian version of NATO to hold back the Asian version of the USSR. In the meantime? Them artificially depressing their currency only keeps their people poorer and makes our people richer. Let them continue in this idiotic 21st century mercantilism.

    I want the best for the U.S. too. That's why I don't want to destroy our economy pursuing some kind of "race to the bottom" competition to see which government can screw their own people more. That's a game we lose against a dictatorship.
    Nah, all we have to do to stop china in their tracks..is to pull all our corporations that made china what it is...out of china and back here...that would end china dominance, it would end unemployment and fix the fiscal probs here...we have alot to thank our corporations for cpwill...china is probably at the top of the list.

  6. #576
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    very bad idea. see earlier post on the results of a trade war with china.

  7. #577
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    very bad idea. see earlier post on the results of a trade war with china.

    I admit im not an economic genius Cp..but here is what I do know...before our corporations went to china...china couldnt feed its population, dog and cat were main staples. China was no threat to us militarily or economically until our corporations created them for cheap labor and a few extra bucks...thats what I do know

  8. #578
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    good idea! Screw poor people!
    How do poor people benefit from cheap, worthless, overpriced junk?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #579
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Do you realize how detrimental our high energy cost is to all aspects of our economy?
    ask the energy secretary

  10. #580
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    How do poor people benefit from cheap, worthless, overpriced junk?
    They don't. They benefit from economical goods that they need and want.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •