Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

  1. #21
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I am tired of people saying, "so and so didn't pull the trigger."

    Well, no **** Sherlock. Nobody is saying he pulled the trigger, we are saying he is accountable for his role and nothing else.
    don't cry at me if I hold a different opinion of accountability than you. see my above post too... I'm sure you want to laws to constrain freedom of the press too, huh?

  2. #22
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    If journalists were better at their job, then this wouldn't have happened...

    I am sorry, but that's a bad defense. The guy shouldn't burn holy books of any religion. He is a religious leader... he should pray for the troops, not put them in danger, and he show everybody in his community the kindness and love of Christ equally.

  3. #23
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    What I don't get is why Pastor Jones burned the Koran not once, but twice. He had said after the first time that the Koran had been judged and that he wouldn't do it again. Then a few months later he went and did it again.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #24
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    don't cry at me if I hold a different opinion of accountability than you. see my above post too... I'm sure you want to laws to constrain freedom of the press too, huh?
    Cry.... is the Conservative rebuttal to everything? I am not crying. I am standing up and saying want I think is right.

  5. #25
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Why not blame.... why not blame?

    Why not just hold everybody accountable for their role?
    so what's your standard then? how exactly do you know everything that contributed. by that ridiculous argument, you might as well hold islam accountable as well.

    I don't accept that approach.

  6. #26
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    If journalists were better at their job, then this wouldn't have happened...

    I am sorry, but that's a bad defense. The guy shouldn't burn holy books of any religion. He is a religious leader... he should pray for the troops, not put them in danger, and he show everybody in his community the kindness and love of Christ equally.
    Try arguing against arguments I've actually made.

    Seems like whenever I interact w/ you on this site you immediately start aguing with strawmen.

  7. #27
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    What I don't get is why Pastor Jones burned the Koran not once, but twice. He had said after the first time that the Koran had been judged and that he wouldn't do it again. Then a few months later he went and did it again.
    First of all, if he were an honest religious leader, he wouldn't put himself in the position to judge the Quran... He is not god. Let god do the judging and do not place yourself above man (and woman), as all Abrahamic religions say.

  8. #28
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    so what's your standard then? how exactly do you know everything that contributed. by that ridiculous argument, you might as well hold islam accountable as well.

    I don't accept that approach.
    There are religious leaders on both sides playing a role in these issues... We shouldn't excuse one kind of leader and not the other.

  9. #29
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    What I don't get is why Pastor Jones burned the Koran not once, but twice. He had said after the first time that the Koran had been judged and that he wouldn't do it again. Then a few months later he went and did it again.
    he's just an attention whore.

    best way to get rid of him his to ignore him.

  10. #30
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Afghan officer opens fire, kills 9 Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    There are religious leaders on both sides playing a role in these issues... We shouldn't excuse one kind of leader and not the other.
    Were not really talking about who to excuse, but who to hold accountable for the killings. The men who pulled the trigger are accountable -- to go further looking to place responsibility for the act turns this into a witch-hunt -- especially considering the fact that he didn't actually violate the law.

    So here's where I stand: In my personal opinion, the pastor's a reckless idiot, but he didn't do anything illegal and is in no way legally responsible for killings across the world. At least not in this case. I think he does bear moral/ethical responsibility to a certain extent -- he'll pay for it eventually.
    Last edited by other; 04-28-11 at 03:04 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •