Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Of course not, but it depends on the country and what economic situation it is in. When looking at China and India, they have 1+ billion people, and a huge growth potential. So no matter how you slice or dice it, at some point they will pass the US primarily based on the fact that there is 1+ billion people. Just because they are passing the US in overall GDP does not mean they are richer than the US since the only way to compare countries is per Capita GDP, and here both countries are far far behind. But because they have 1+ billion plus people, the GDP per capita only has to be 4ish times less than the US GDP per capita for them to pass the US on over all GDP and that is exactly what is happening. This was bound to happen at some point in time.

    All great economies and "super powers" eventually fall to the side of the road and new emerge.. it has been like that since the dawn of man kind. The Egyptians gave away to the Greeks, who gave away to the Romans, the Romans gave away to the Byzantium and Spanish Empires. The Spanish gave way to the British Empire and the British Empire gave away to the US Empire... and now China is completing the circle almost by regaining the ranking and status it had 4000+ years ago when the world was huge and the Egyptians and Chinese ruled most of the known world and were economic super powers. The only difference in all this, is how long each period lasts..
    It's not because they have 1 billion people though, because if that were the case, both China and India would have surpassed us long ago.
    They've largely maintained the largest populations for centuries.

    But I do agree that economic empires give way to new economic empires.
    It's the natural course of things.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's not because they have 1 billion people though, because if that were the case, both China and India would have surpassed us long ago.
    They've largely maintained the largest populations for centuries.
    God, now your nationalistic views are blinding you. The main reason that China is passing the US is because it has 1 billion+ people, and you cant get around that fact. If China only had 300 million people, then they would be no where near passing the US. Hence the 1 billion+ people is a KEY factor.
    PeteEU

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    God, now your nationalistic views are blinding you. The main reason that China is passing the US is because it has 1 billion+ people, and you cant get around that fact. If China only had 300 million people, then they would be no where near passing the US. Hence the 1 billion+ people is a KEY factor.
    What the hell are you talking about?
    I have no "nationalistic views."

    I conceded the fact that economic empires give way to new economic empires, but it isn't based on the population, otherwise China would have surpassed us long ago.



    They have always had a larger population than the U.S.
    Why didn't they surpass us before?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    God, now your nationalistic views are blinding you. The main reason that China is passing the US is because it has 1 billion+ people, and you cant get around that fact. If China only had 300 million people, then they would be no where near passing the US. Hence the 1 billion+ people is a KEY factor.
    Wrong. To attempt to compare a Chinese wage earner with a US, in productivity, is ridiculas. You'd might as well compare N. Korea's Army to that of the US. The quantity over quality argument (and I refer to productivity in a GDP/etc sense) does not hold water.

    Here are the main reasons that China is "passing" the US. I put passing in quotes because China is a Paper Tiger about to crumble:

    1. No labor rights.
    2. No civil rights.
    3. No human rights.
    4. No environmentl rights.

    If and when China begins to have even a couple of these things, the country will crumble and fragment like the USSR.

    Let's see China play by the same rules before we start praising their "progress".

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    I like moving my eye lids with my index fingers, and saying "個滑稽的瓷人!"

    Everybody laffs and laffs.

  6. #36
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What the hell are you talking about?
    I have no "nationalistic views."

    I conceded the fact that economic empires give way to new economic empires, but it isn't based on the population, otherwise China would have surpassed us long ago.



    They have always had a larger population than the U.S.
    Why didn't they surpass us before?
    You are simply blind then. The ONLY reason that China is passing the US in total GDP is BECAUSE of its population numbers.. there is no way you can get around that fact. They are not as productive, not as rich and all that crap, but the fact that there are so many of them, means they dont have to be to pass the US in total GDP.
    PeteEU

  7. #37
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You are simply blind then. The ONLY reason that China is passing the US in total GDP is BECAUSE of its population numbers.. there is no way you can get around that fact. They are not as productive, not as rich and all that crap, but the fact that there are so many of them, means they dont have to be to pass the US in total GDP.
    They have vast natural resources, some of which we don't have or have already exploited.
    The number of people is immaterial.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #38
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Wrong. To attempt to compare a Chinese wage earner with a US, in productivity, is ridiculas. You'd might as well compare N. Korea's Army to that of the US. The quantity over quality argument (and I refer to productivity in a GDP/etc sense) does not hold water.
    Who is comparing? I am just stating the fact that in this case quantity does triumph quality (much like Chinese products). The Chinese production per person (in dollars) is much much much lower than that of the US, but because they have 4 times the population (if not 5), then they dont need much better production per person to pass the US as the number 1 economy in GDP terms. Hell they already passed the US as the biggest market, also because they have a huge population and growing middle class.

    Here are the main reasons that China is "passing" the US. I put passing in quotes because China is a Paper Tiger about to crumble:

    1. No labor rights.
    2. No civil rights.
    3. No human rights.
    4. No environmentl rights.
    Again not the main reason.. that is population size. These reasons you give are secondary reasons. And for the record.. many of those you list, can easily be transferred to the US as well..

    If and when China begins to have even a couple of these things, the country will crumble and fragment like the USSR.
    That is another discussion.

    Let's see China play by the same rules before we start praising their "progress".
    I am not "praising their progress" lol, far from it. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I am stating is that due to their population size they would and are passing the US sooner than later in TOTAL GDP. This does not mean they are richer or better off in any way, quite the opposite in many ways.
    PeteEU

  9. #39
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They have vast natural resources, some of which we don't have or have already exploited.
    The number of people is immaterial.
    As are your comments since you cant even think logically. Your partisan chest thumping Nationalism has blinded you to the truth. Population DOES matter when you talk TOTAL GDP which is what we are. So suck up and admit you are wrong.

    As for "vast natural resources" comment just shows how little you actually know. You do know that China imports a lot of natural resources right? China's "natural resources" have been exploited for 5000+ years, where as the American resources have only for 200 years. Who do you think has more now? Not my fault or that of China's that you dont have the political will or technical ability to exploit your own resources safely and economically.
    PeteEU

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The number of people is immaterial.
    When you have enough robots?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •