Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    From the BBC:

    The trade ministers of China, Japan and South Korea have agreed to step up efforts towards forming a trilateral free trade agreement.

    The ministers said that free flow of trade and investment between their countries was key to sustaining growth.
    BBC News - China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Although it appears that the U.S. has become less convinced of the benefits of trade than had been the case in preceding generations (free trade agreements with South Korea, Colombia, and Panama have yet to be ratified), that less favorable perspective on trade is not shared by all nations. Moreover, what is particularly revealing is that the U.S. has yet to conclude a free trade agreement with Japan despite an enduring favorable bilateral relationship that has existed since the end of World War II.

    In general, nations that have growing confidence are willing to take a more expansive view. They seek growth and improvement over the status quo. They are risk takers. They pursue the expansion of trade, understanding that the overall benefits exceed the tradeoffs. They increasingly make strategic investments (education, new industries aimed at addressing unfavorable factor conditions or pursuing emerging opportunities, new technologies, etc.). They seek to shape the balance of power to better align with their interests.

    China and South Korea continue to follow that path. Japan, now a mature advanced economy, also sees potential benefits in such a relationship (dynamism, greater market access, increased economic growth, etc.). That Japan is not using the recent catastrophic Tohoku earthquake, ts enormous debt burden, and fierce headwind of a currently declining population to rationalize a more inward-looking course that aims at little more than preserving and harvesting the status quo reveals that contemporary Japan still has a growth-oriented outlook.

  2. #2
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From the BBC:



    BBC News - China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Although it appears that the U.S. has become less convinced of the benefits of trade than had been the case in preceding generations (free trade agreements with South Korea, Colombia, and Panama have yet to be ratified), that less favorable perspective on trade is not shared by all nations. Moreover, what is particularly revealing is that the U.S. has yet to conclude a free trade agreement with Japan despite an enduring favorable bilateral relationship that has existed since the end of World War II.

    In general, nations that have growing confidence are willing to take a more expansive view. They seek growth and improvement over the status quo. They are risk takers. They pursue the expansion of trade, understanding that the overall benefits exceed the tradeoffs. They increasingly make strategic investments (education, new industries aimed at addressing unfavorable factor conditions or pursuing emerging opportunities, new technologies, etc.). They seek to shape the balance of power to better align with their interests.

    China and South Korea continue to follow that path. Japan, now a mature advanced economy, also sees potential benefits in such a relationship (dynamism, greater market access, increased economic growth, etc.). That Japan is not using the recent catastrophic Tohoku earthquake, ts enormous debt burden, and fierce headwind of a currently declining population to rationalize a more inward-looking course that aims at little more than preserving and harvesting the status quo reveals that contemporary Japan still has a growth-oriented outlook.
    I'm not so sure free trade agreements, NAFTA for instance, are actually free trade agreements. Many are designed to put certain producers out of work to give a Corporate advantage. I wish I could give better details, but check on NAFTA and its details.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I'm not so sure free trade agreements, NAFTA for instance, are actually free trade agreements. Many are designed to put certain producers out of work to give a Corporate advantage. I wish I could give better details, but check on NAFTA and its details.
    So you freeing admit to having an opinion but no details to back it up???

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    So you freeing admit to having an opinion but no details to back it up???
    Dude, that's like "modus operendi" for this forum as a whole.

  5. #5
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    So you freeing admit to having an opinion but no details to back it up???
    Did you check on NAFTA and its details?

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    So you freeing admit to having an opinion but no details to back it up???
    You're a genius for stating the obvious.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    So you freeing admit to having an opinion but no details to back it up???
    Downsides of NAFTA | Nafta

    If you don't know the difference between Corporatism and Capitalism, this may not work for you.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I'm not so sure free trade agreements, NAFTA for instance, are actually free trade agreements.
    A free trade agreement in the purest terms would entail eliminating all tariff and non-tariff barriers with no limitations of any kind. For obvious political reasons, negotiated free trade agreements do not take the pure form. If they did, political support necessary to approve, ratify, and implement the agreements would be lacking. Each of the countries involved typically negotiate some kind of protections for key sectors (which may or may not be transitional) and for reasons that may have little to do with economics/competitiveness. Those political ingredients are found whether trade liberalization is pursued at the global level (WTO) or multinational level (among various nations). NAFTA is not an exception.

  9. #9
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    A free trade agreement in the purest terms would entail eliminating all tariff and non-tariff barriers with no limitations of any kind. For obvious political reasons, negotiated free trade agreements do not take the pure form. If they did, political support necessary to approve, ratify, and implement the agreements would be lacking. Each of the countries involved typically negotiate some kind of protections for key sectors (which may or may not be transitional) and for reasons that may have little to do with economics/competitiveness. Those political ingredients are found whether trade liberalization is pursued at the global level (WTO) or multinational level (among various nations). NAFTA is not an exception.
    On the other hand, if you are dealing with Corporatism, you make sure the agreement works to the advantage of the biggest Corporations
    and that is what has happened. Corporations and Corporatism are not the good guys.

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: China, Japan, South Korea seek trade pact

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    On the other hand, if you are dealing with Corporatism, you make sure the agreement works to the advantage of the biggest Corporations
    and that is what has happened. Corporations and Corporatism are not the good guys.
    You go dig up all that proof you have, then bring it here.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •