Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

  1. #31
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Why is it less appropriate than a college class? Hispanic girls and black girls are the most likely to become pregnant before the turn 18. They are also the two groups to be most negatively affected by pregnancy, less likely to finish high school, more likely to live in poverty, more likely to see their children repeat the same patterns.

    This girl went into the thick of things in a very responsible way, when you consider the alternative. She's working with abstinence and sex education programs to try and find solutions to a growing problem, according to one article I read. I don't see many teenagers in her generation with the drive, creativity, or ambition to create and implement a plan so grand and detailed as this. Is it controversial? Absolutely. Is it going to bring about the downfall of society? It may actually slow it, in the long run.

    Look, everyone is blowing out of proportion what I am getting at. If the girl went into this in a "responsible" way, then why this part of the article?

    "It was tough for all of us,” Orozco said. “We lied to a lot of people. A lot of people were upset when they found out."
    Think of it like this, you and I are friends for some time, and as an experiment you tell me that you have been diagnosed with cancer. Now as a friend that cares about you, I am upset for the entire time period that you keep up this "fib".... Then you tell me it was all not true, and was for some experiment you were doing. I'd be pretty upset with you as well.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #32
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, everyone is blowing out of proportion what I am getting at. If the girl went into this in a "responsible" way, then why this part of the article?



    Think of it like this, you and I are friends for some time, and as an experiment you tell me that you have been diagnosed with cancer. Now as a friend that cares about you, I am upset for the entire time period that you keep up this "fib".... Then you tell me it was all not true, and was for some experiment you were doing. I'd be pretty upset with you as well.

    j-mac
    Okay, but let's be real. Cancer and pregnancy are two very, very different things.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #33
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Okay, but let's be real. Cancer and pregnancy are two very, very different things.
    At teen age years, not that far apart....But why do you see them as so different that it is ok to lie about one, but the other is different enough that you possibly see my point?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, everyone is blowing out of proportion what I am getting at. If the girl went into this in a "responsible" way, then why this part of the article?

    Think of it like this, you and I are friends for some time, and as an experiment you tell me that you have been diagnosed with cancer. Now as a friend that cares about you, I am upset for the entire time period that you keep up this "fib".... Then you tell me it was all not true, and was for some experiment you were doing. I'd be pretty upset with you as well.

    j-mac
    To be fair, I would be pretty pissed if one of my friends told me she was pregnant and then she wasn't. I would probably be pretty embarrassed too since I would have likely been kind to her and possibly bought her things. I would have felt emotionally manipulated and angry. However, I'd probably get over it since I like the idea.

    I think the problem people had with your first comments was that you seemed to be putting yourself on a moral pedestal with your "I would never let my kids lie" and what not. Nonetheless, I agree with you that people likely were hurt, but I don't think those negative effects cancel out the positives particularly since I think most people will get over it since the girl didn't do it out of malice.

  5. #35
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    At teen age years, not that far apart....But why do you see them as so different that it is ok to lie about one, but the other is different enough that you possibly see my point?

    j-mac
    I see your point, I just don't agree with it. Lying may be necessary in some instances for a multitude of reasons. A spy cannot reveal his destination to his family or he risks his life and theirs. Soliders may not reveal their deployment locations to their families for the safety of all of the troops. People have to lie sometimes for safety.

    Again, sometimes lying is necessary for an experiment to have a reliable result. In medical studies you aren't told whether or not you're receiving the drug or a placebo. That's a form of lying.

    You can take a holier-than-thou approach to lying, but I swear to you, everybody lies. Wouldn't you rather that the lie be for some benefit, such as in this case? This girl didn't do this with malcious intent. She had a goal and a purpose, to investigate and turn results into solutions and programs to solve a growing problem.

    So I guess it comes down to what you value most, an impossible dictate about lying, or doing whatever you can think of to come up with solutions to far worse problems.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #36
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    To be fair, I would be pretty pissed if one of my friends told me she was pregnant and then she wasn't. I would probably be pretty embarrassed too since I would have likely been kind to her and possibly bought her things. I would have felt emotionally manipulated and angry. However, I'd probably get over it since I like the idea.

    I think the problem people had with your first comments was that you seemed to be putting yourself on a moral pedestal with your "I would never let my kids lie" and what not. Nonetheless, I agree with you that people likely were hurt, but I don't think those negative effects cancel out the positives particularly since I think most people will get over it since the girl didn't do it out of malice.

    Yeah, I can see that, and thanks. I didn't mean to make it as though I thought I am so better than anyone else here, I guess trying to translate thought into type isn't always easy. And Lord knows I ain't perfect. I was just trying to put myself in the place of one of the dupes of the excercise.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #37
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I see your point, I just don't agree with it. Lying may be necessary in some instances for a multitude of reasons. A spy cannot reveal his destination to his family or he risks his life and theirs. Soliders may not reveal their deployment locations to their families for the safety of all of the troops. People have to lie sometimes for safety.

    Again, sometimes lying is necessary for an experiment to have a reliable result. In medical studies you aren't told whether or not you're receiving the drug or a placebo. That's a form of lying.

    You can take a holier-than-thou approach to lying, but I swear to you, everybody lies. Wouldn't you rather that the lie be for some benefit, such as in this case? This girl didn't do this with malcious intent. She had a goal and a purpose, to investigate and turn results into solutions and programs to solve a growing problem.

    So I guess it comes down to what you value most, an impossible dictate about lying, or doing whatever you can think of to come up with solutions to far worse problems.
    I guess what I am saying is really more a question.

    Was this experiment, which I might remind you was in a High School setting, worth upsetting people?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #38
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I guess what I am saying is really more a question.

    Was this experiment, which I might remind you was in a High School setting, worth upsetting people?

    j-mac
    To me, yes. As far as the timeframe and location of the events, I'm not sure what you remember about high school, but what this girl did is absolute peanuts in comparison to things I saw, did, heard, or read about, from, and to the other kids I went to school with.

    Also, in so far as the actions themselves, I see it this way: extreme acts make breakthroughs, safe acts make operations manuals. We can survey and document statistics all day, but that's all we're doing. We've been proving over and over again that abstinance education doesn't work, we refuse to expand our minds and allow broad-reaching sex ed to take place, some cultures are encouraging and pressuring their young women into having babies during their teen years, and we're adding to the welfare and under-educated laborer roles at an alarming rate when we do nothing to curb teen pregnancy. SOMEBODY needs to do SOMETHING affective. Maybe diving in the trenches will help provide insight we haven't yet garnered, maybe having that experience will help her reach out to at-risk girls. Maybe she will help others learn something about themselves and about the problem.

    As far as upsetting people goes, I said before and I'll say again, "You're only upset by something if you allow yourself to be". No, it isn't cool to do something to intentionally hurt somebody. But if them being hurt is an unfortunately result you cannot always let that deter you. My boyfriend's family (and mine) would be extremely hurt if I broke up with him, but if we weren't happy and knew the relationship needed to end then it would have to end.

    "Do what you know to be right and ask forgiveness from those who disagree later."
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #39
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    To me, yes. As far as the timeframe and location of the events, I'm not sure what you remember about high school, but what this girl did is absolute peanuts in comparison to things I saw, did, heard, or read about, from, and to the other kids I went to school with.

    Also, in so far as the actions themselves, I see it this way: extreme acts make breakthroughs, safe acts make operations manuals. We can survey and document statistics all day, but that's all we're doing. We've been proving over and over again that abstinance education doesn't work, we refuse to expand our minds and allow broad-reaching sex ed to take place, some cultures are encouraging and pressuring their young women into having babies during their teen years, and we're adding to the welfare and under-educated laborer roles at an alarming rate when we do nothing to curb teen pregnancy. SOMEBODY needs to do SOMETHING affective. Maybe diving in the trenches will help provide insight we haven't yet garnered, maybe having that experience will help her reach out to at-risk girls. Maybe she will help others learn something about themselves and about the problem.

    As far as upsetting people goes, I said before and I'll say again, "You're only upset by something if you allow yourself to be". No, it isn't cool to do something to intentionally hurt somebody. But if them being hurt is an unfortunately result you cannot always let that deter you. My boyfriend's family (and mine) would be extremely hurt if I broke up with him, but if we weren't happy and knew the relationship needed to end then it would have to end.

    "Do what you know to be right and ask forgiveness from those who disagree later."

    Ok...So is there a link to this absolutely necessary study? Something we can link to and read for the insights, and new information it may contain? Hell, it may change Sex ed for the world!

    So link it up, and let us have a peek, I am more than interested to see it now...

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #40
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Teen fakes pregnancy for school assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok...So is there a link to this absolutely necessary study? Something we can link to and read for the insights, and new information it may contain? Hell, it may change Sex ed for the world!

    So link it up, and let us have a peek, I am more than interested to see it now...

    j-mac
    There's this:
    * Black women have the highest teen pregnancy rate (134 per 1,000 women ages 15–19), followed by Hispanics (131 per 1,000) and non-Hispanic whites (48 per 1,000).
    * The pregnancy rate among black teens decreased 40% between 1990 and 2000 compared to an overall national decline in teen pregnancy rate of 36%.

    To View this Resource: Facts on American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health


    Also this:
    In 2009, a total of 409,840 infants were born to 15−19 year olds, for a live birth rate of 39.1 per 1,000 women in this age group.1 Nearly two-thirds of births to women younger than age 18 and more than half of those among 18−19 year olds are unintended.

    And this:
    http://www.prcdc.org/files/Latina_Teen_Pregnancy.pdf (Too much text to copy/paste)

    There's a pretty big problem with hispanic teens and pregnancies. This girl went to a school with an 85% hispanic population. The likelihood is that many of those girls will become pregnant before they reach 18. Perhaps her "inside story" without the baby will help? Then again, perhaps not...but I'd rather her try and fail than not try at all.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •