Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal

    Turkey on Thursday selected the U.S. firm Sikorsky as the partner company that will lead the production of its next generation of utility helicopters.
    Several Turkish companies, most notably Turkish Aerospace Industries, or TAI, will take part in the joint production of the platforms.

    Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal

    Good deal for an American company. However...
    “Some important components of the helicopters, such as the body, engine, avionic systems and task software, will be produced in Turkey as TAI will be the main contractor,”
    ...while they specify some components will be built in Turkey, there is no mention if any components will be made here in the US, or in a Sikorsky owned factory in Turkey.

    So, while its good for Sikorsky, it might not mean any jobs here in the US.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Several Turkish companies, most notably Turkish Aerospace Industries, or TAI, will take part in the joint production of the platforms.

    Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
    Good for the company selling this stuff. Probably bad for the world that we sell weapons to what some consider an country leaning away from the West. My guess is these helicopters will be target practice for the U.S. or its allies down the road.

  4. #4
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Good for the company selling this stuff. Probably bad for the world that we sell weapons to what some consider an country leaning away from the West. My guess is these helicopters will be target practice for the U.S. or its allies down the road.
    That's very far fetched. But if we ever dump our identity as Turks, and instead adopt for neo-Islamic fascism under Erdogan before it's too late to stop it, be my guest.

    By the way most people the US fight use US military brands.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 04-21-11 at 04:14 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Turkey chooses US helicopters for $3.5 billion deal

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    That's very far fetched. But if we ever dump our identity as Turks, and instead adopt for neo-Islamic fascism under Erdogan before it's too late to stop it, be my guest.

    By the way most people the US fight use US military brands.
    Just so you understand Kaya, this is just my judgement of the political class currently in Turkey. I mentioned just yesterday to a financial advisor I would like to see more investment in my portfolio of the Turkish economy as I think their future could be bright.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •