Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 372

Thread: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

  1. #351
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    01-12-12 @ 02:55 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    205

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Now GOP has backed off touching medicare! Could a told ya!

  2. #352
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,093

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    yeah, going to be interesting to see how Boo tries to spin that one into them still not being willing to seriously compromise.

    but if we can get through major parts of the Ryan plan in return for the debt-ceiling; that's a good trade, and it achieves these goals 2 years earlier than we thought we were going to.

  3. #353
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Why is there never anything about farm subsidies? Why is it so politically unfavorable to cut them?
    I agree. We can start with Ethanol subsidies.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #354
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by tjinta ibis View Post
    Now GOP has backed off touching medicare! Could a told ya!
    Look, the President put a sound commission together, and they came up with a plan. One that would work btw. So why isn't Obama instituting that?

    It was HIS commission!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #355
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, the President put a sound commission together, and they came up with a plan. One that would work btw. So why isn't Obama instituting that?

    It was HIS commission!


    j-mac
    Same reason no one else is. They would all be without a job the second they tried to impliment the plan. Even the commission admitted it would never fly as I recall.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yeah, going to be interesting to see how Boo tries to spin that one into them still not being willing to seriously compromise.

    but if we can get through major parts of the Ryan plan in return for the debt-ceiling; that's a good trade, and it achieves these goals 2 years earlier than we thought we were going to.
    So, being forced by popular opion means they're willing to compromise? If you say so.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #357
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    why? are you saying that people do not have to have food?
    No, I'm saying they have food, and that they also have cheap food.

    indeed, and we give medicaid to the same people.
    No we have a working poor who do not get meidcaid but cannot afford medical care (this has been shown to you before). They can afford to eat btw.


    actually food in general is available at historically cheap prices - we spend less of our income feeding ourselves now than at any other point in human history. because we have allowed it to be sold and purchased on the free market. other countries have not done this - and the result is usually mass starvation.
    No. You oversimplify to fit your idealolgy. food is cheaper for a lot of reasons, including rather anti-market forces like corrporate farms that put the family farm out of business. Not to mention abundance.

    really? i can just opt out and say that Obamacare doesn't apply to me? well hot dog - where do i get the forms? there are going to be some governors that are going to be very excited to hear about this.
    Now that was a silly response. You get in a serious accident or have sudden illness, you will be treated. uninsured, you likely won't be able to pay for it, and others will carry your tab. no, you cannot opt out if it.

    i dont always agree with them - and I don't always agree with scalia. but i know that if you put an argument as blatantly stupid as the one this woman made in front of him, he's going to land on it like a 2,000 lb bomb.
    Your statement would carry more weight if you honestly tried to understand the argument. The tactic of singling out words as if they stood alone is weak and frankly dishonest. The context of the argument hindges not on mental activity, but that it is related to something you cannot opt of because health is not controllable.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #358
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No we have a working poor who do not get meidcaid but cannot afford medical care
    uva study cited by asa shows americans with NO INSURANCE fare better (shorter stays, lower costs, lower mortalities) than their neighbors on medicaid

    ASA: ASA 130th Annual Meeting Abstracts - Primary Payer Status Affects Mortality For Major Surgical Operations

    this has been shown to you before
    LOL!

    food is cheaper for a lot of reasons
    World Food Prices Rise to Near-Record High as Inflation Speeds Up, UN Says - Bloomberg

    Now that was a silly response
    says the serious chin stroker who cites news from AUSTRALIA in a discussion of teacher retention in new york city
    Last edited by The Prof; 05-05-11 at 01:28 PM.

  9. #359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    on a related note:

    nyt, april 6---rush for biofuels pushes food prices higher

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/sc...a.html?_r=2&hp

    Clinton: Too much ethanol - Yahoo! News

  10. #360
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    uva study cited by asa shows americans with NO INSURANCE fare better (shorter stays, lower costs, lower mortalities) than their neighbors on medicaid

    ASA: ASA 130th Annual Meeting Abstracts - Primary Payer Status Affects Mortality For Major Surgical Operations



    LOL!



    World Food Prices Rise to Near-Record High as Inflation Speeds Up, UN Says - Bloomberg



    says the serious chin stroker who cites news from AUSTRALIA in a discussion of teacher retention in new york city
    I know you think you offered a great rebuttal, but you didn't. We've been over the first one, and rising doesn't mean they aren't cheaper in comaprison.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •