Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 372

Thread: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

  1. #121
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let's get rid of the entire DoD. Okay now where do we cut the rest of the $2.4T? And while we're at it, let's amend the Constitution to remove "common defence" from the language. That way we'll be sure to never allocate another dime to that requirement.

    Okay liberals, your turn.
    Fix the economy, some tweaks in spending, end our foreign wars and get rid of the so-called Bush tax cut.... the deficit will shrink to manageable proportions.

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Fix the economy
    obama already did

    some tweaks in spending
    tell hurryup harry to write em up

    end our foreign wars
    the slasher keeps escalating em

    and get rid of the so-called Bush tax cut
    he just signed em into law, president clinton at his side

    leadership, anyone?

  3. #123
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    BS. Have you ever gotten a job from a poor man? You put the pinch on the rich, and they'll just compensate by cutting staff.

    Economics 101.
    BS. The rich still want to keep making money, and the only way they can do that is to employ people. There is an excess of money at the top right now, and there has been for many many years. That is the root cause of why these bubbles keep forming. Right now they are hoarding it, but there is already talk of yet another investment bubble. The consumer class doesn't have enough money to consume everything the investment class can produce.

    Economics 501
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    And who's to say they have ever paid a fare share? This country was governed by the rich, There is nothing fare about how they pat taxes. Ever.
    If your argument is that the wealthiest among us have "manipulated" tax laws in their favor thoughtout our nation's history, I can't say such an argument isn't without merit. But to suggest that they've never paid "their fair share" would be grossly incorrect. You can't tax an individual or an entity at near 100% and not expect them to be pissed off about it. But neither can you give such generous tax breaks to same and expect the poorest among us not to be unhappy about it either even when they receive modest benefits from tax breaks afford them, i.e., the Earned Income-Tax Credit which only favors those with dependent children but leaves those without children searching for other tax havens to utilize.

    Those on the right have latched onto the mantra of "redistribution of weath." Well, I say "share the wealth!" Unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen. The evidence is all around us. Just look at the state of our national economy, as well as the current state of politics suggested by the GOP. Their interests aren't with fostering the economy nor uplifting the poor. It's money they covent...always has, always will be. Everything else is a smoke screen masked in "patriotism".
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 04-20-11 at 10:53 PM.

  5. #125
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem - The Washington Post



    Oh, the fickle American public...

    I've been saying this for awhile now. Maybe it's time to stop blaming the government for everything and start being introspective about ourselves, the People. Our government is only as competent/effective as the electorate that chooses them.
    everybody wanna go heaven
    nobody wanna die



  6. #126
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    If your argument is that the wealthiest among us have "manipulated" tax laws in their favor thoughtout our nation's history, I can't say such an argument isn't without merit. But to suggest that they've never paid "their fair share" would be grossly incorrect. You can't tax an individual or an entity at near 100% and not expect them to be pissed off about it. But neither can you give such generous tax breaks to same and expect the poorest among us not to be unhappy about it either even when they receive modest benefits from tax breaks afford them, i.e., the Earned Income-Tax Credit which only favors those with dependent children but leaves those without children searching for other tax havens to utilize.

    Those on the right have latched onto the mantra of "redistribution of weath." Well, I say "share the wealth!" Unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen. The evidence is all around us. Just look at the state of our national economy, as well as the current state of politics suggested by the GOP. Their interests aren't with fostering the economy nor uplifting the poor. It's money they covent...always has, always will be. Everything else is a smoke screen masked in "patriotism".
    what just claim do those who cannot pay for their own existence have on those of us who can



  7. #127
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    This news is troubling, because it suggests that either the American public is not yet sufficiently informed about the magnitude of fiscal imbalances/drivers/steps needed and/or, even if it is sufficiently informed, is unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary. Given the growing coverage the nation's debt has received, the two debt commissions, and heated political debate tied to the FY 2011 spending bill, a lack of familiarity would be disturbing in its own right. It would suggest the kind of obliviousness to key issues that undermines informed civic engagement.
    Or, maybe the public are informed but dismiss the coverage of the debt as self-serving distortion and misrepresentation by special interests.

    I know I do.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  8. #128
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    obama is oblivious

    the out year projections for social security and medicare and medicaid (as well as state pensions) are so severe...

    well, there's not enough money in the galaxy to make good those liabilities

    if something serious isn't done now to restructure our budget, our big 3 social programs will not survive

    leadership, anyone?
    I agree something needs to be done...and I also assert its not paul ryans candy store of huge tax cuts for the rich that is not debt reduction.

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    tax cuts for the rich that is not debt reduction.
    Obama Calls Tax Cuts the 'Right Thing to Do'

    At Obama's side, Clinton backs tax deal - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

  10. #130
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Sharp cuts in spending would be terrific for the economy long term, because ultimately, I donít agree with the broken window fallacy you subscribe to. Government spending cuts into private sector spending, while not having the safeguards in place that are triggered by inefficient private sector spending. That scenario canít possibly be good for the economy long term.
    Nonsense.

    You're representing extremist economic theory as fact. Public spending has never been proven to affect private spending.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •