Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 174

Thread: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

  1. #161
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Schieffer: Racism underlying Trump's assertions

    "Donald Trump has moved on from the "birther" conspiracy to allege President Barack Obama didn't get good enough grades to warrant entry to Harvard Law School, an assertion that CBS News chief Washington correspondent Bob Schieffer called absurd on the "CBS Evening News" on Wednesday.

    "That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black. This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing. We can hope that kind of comes to an end too, but we'll have to see," Schieffer said."

    Read more: Schieffer: Racism underlying Trump's assertions - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
    Bob Schieffer? Are you serious? Could there be any more a biased member of the Obama sycophant wing in journalism today? This is crap! Ya know?

    I mean, and forgive my thoughts here, but in living life I have noticed a few things, and worked with many, many people of all races, and nationalities. One thing I have noticed throughout that time is that a weak individual will grasp at anything to mask their own inability to get the job done, or done correctly.

    We all could probably tell a story or two where someone we worked with wasn't pulling their own weight, and got fired, and the first thing out of their mouth was not how maybe it was their own fault for not doing what the job required no. But rather, any excuse, 'The boss doesn't like me because, insert here the gripe of the moment.'

    To pull out the race card any time this mans policies, actions, or anything to do with what he does in office instead of focusing on the real reason that 70% of the country thinks we are headed in the wrong direction, is weak, and a tactic that is worn out.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #162
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    ah, so it only rips off the better part of a lifetime's investment from folks UNDER age 40

    that's a relief

    except it's not: My Way News - Social Security now seen to run permanent deficits



    well, you make a point

    LOL!
    It's OK that social security runs deficits. It is no surprise. Over the past 20 years it ran a profit, built up $4T in equity, which will carry it to 2037. Even then, SS can run fine by either reducing benefits, raising the cap or extending the retirement age.

    The only reason that SS is an issue is that the government has been using FICA receipts to pay for its general revenue shortfall (including funding the Bush tax cuts of 2001). The reason that tax receipts went up after the bush tax cuts had nothing to do with income tax revenue going up (it actually went down from 2001 to 2005) and everything to do with FICA receipts (payroll taxes) going up and inflation. FICA receipts have been "covering up" the bigger problem for quite some time.... now people think the solution to the bigger problem is to take it out on social security (not pay back the money it borrowed, in essence, stealing from the working people to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by upsideguy; 04-28-11 at 11:25 AM.

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    SS can run fine by either reducing benefits, raising the cap or extending the retirement age.
    ah, that's all it needs---easy

    LOL!

    a program that can't keep its fundamental promises, especially a program of such staggering scale, is a failure

  4. #164
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Wasn't SS originally set up as a need based system?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #165
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    ah, that's all it needs---easy

    LOL!

    a program that can't keep its fundamental promises, especially a program of such staggering scale, is a failure
    The problem will not manifest itself until 2037. Promises can be kept with no changes to the system by simply raising the cap on wages.

    Actually, the program only needs tweaks by 2037. Of course, this includes the government to paying back the $4T it stole from the system... Social security is actually one of the most stable things in Washington. Its just people want to break their promise to the system and not pay it back
    Last edited by upsideguy; 04-28-11 at 11:24 AM.

  6. #166
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    tweaks

    Fiscal Commission Co-Chairs Simpson And Bowles Release Eye-Popping Recommendations | TPMDC

    a program that can't keep its promises, especially one of such scale, is a failure

  7. #167
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Bob Schieffer? Are you serious? Could there be any more a biased member of the Obama sycophant wing in journalism today? This is crap! Ya know?

    j-mac
    Says the guy who uses The American (non) Thinker.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    says the guy who links to the SYDNEY (australia) MORNING HERALD to make some "point" about teacher retention in new york

    LOL!

    pathetic

  9. #169
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    It's OK that social security runs deficits. It is no surprise. Over the past 20 years it ran a profit, built up $4T in equity, which will carry it to 2037. Even then, SS can run fine by either reducing benefits, raising the cap or extending the retirement age.

    The only reason that SS is an issue is that the government has been using FICA receipts to pay for its general revenue shortfall (including funding the Bush tax cuts of 2001). The reason that tax receipts went up after the bush tax cuts had nothing to do with income tax revenue going up (it actually went down from 2001 to 2005) and everything to do with FICA receipts (payroll taxes) going up and inflation. FICA receipts have been "covering up" the bigger problem for quite some time.... now people think the solution to the bigger problem is to take it out on social security (not pay back the money it borrowed, in essence, stealing from the working people to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy.)
    In other words, we borrowed from a Ponzi Scheme. Of course it was profitable, it took in way more than it payed out - just like a "profitable" Ponzi Scheme should.

    But don't worry, every thing is fine as long as we pay back the 'borrowing' and change a few things... anyone got 4T spare change and a powersaw to cut benefits?


    We're gonna have to open cut-rate nursing homes in China. We'll call it "retirement tourism".
    Last edited by ecofarm; 04-28-11 at 11:56 AM.

  10. #170
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: GOP insiders embrace Trump's Presidential bid

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    In other words, we borrowed from a Ponzi Scheme. Of course it was profitable, it took in way more than it payed out - just like a "profitable" Ponzi Scheme should.

    But don't worry, every thing is fine and long as we pay back the 'borrowing' and change a few things... anyone got 4T spare change and a powersaw to cut benefits?

    We're gonna have to open cut-rate nursing homes in China.
    pitiful observation

    the SS system has run massive surpluses as the baby boomers paid into the system over their now ending careers
    you blame the SS system for its funds being taken by republicans and democrats to be used for other purposes - including an unfunded tax cut, unfunded war, underfunded pharma bill

    as has been noted, the SS system is one of the rare birds in federal government. a financially self sustaining system. and to make it remain viable beyond 27 years, we need only to eliminate the cap on taxed earnings (cap is currently $106,800, meaning those who earn more pay a lower effective SS rate than those who earn amounts under the cap)
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •