Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 295

Thread: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

  1. #21
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,187

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Is there nothing this president can do or say that is too insignificant to be pettily whined about?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #22
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    This isn't that uncommon. The White House tries and gets as many friendly reporters there as possible to portray them in a better light. Secondly, there is a difference between asking tough question and getting answers and being an asshole reporter. Continually interrupting the interviewee is an asshole thing to do.
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with asking tough questions, but the journalist also has to be respectful of the person they are interviewing. If you can't be respectful, you won't get a second chance to interview. It's common ****ing sense, and all presidents have avoided questions... not directly answered the questions or never take questions from certain reporters.

    However, I haven't seen many politicians and never a president go off on journalists and attack them like I have seen celebrities. Some journalists are well known for pissing people off and crossing the line.

    I also hate when journalists ask stupid ass questions like... how did it feel being held hostage with a knife to your throat? I have seen some journalists angrily ask the same question over and over to people who have no capability to answer to question or to the info. Sometimes people want answers, and the journalists is trying to appear tough or save face.

    BTW... I have never met anybody who has dealt with journalists themselves, and claim to like them.

  3. #23
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Is there nothing this president can do or say that is too insignificant to be pettily whined about?
    Put this statement back in the early 2000's and you'd be a Bush Republican my friend.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I don't know if this is what you'd call "defending Obama", but I thought the reporter that interviewed him was, to say the least, kind of a jerk to the president. Interrupting what he was saying just to rub in the fact that Obama lost the state by 10 points, rather than a few, seemed not only unprofessional to me, but displayed the reporters obvious political bias.

    Putting that aside, Obama should have taken a page from George Bush when it comes to being interviewed by rude or hostile members of the media... He should have just smiled, thanked the man and walked away without comment.
    He hasn't behaved like a president since he took office, why would you expect him to behave like one during an interview?

  5. #25
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with asking tough questions, but the journalist also has to be respectful of the person they are interviewing. If you can't be respectful, you won't get a second chance to interview. It's common ****ing sense, and all presidents have avoided questions... not directly answered the questions or never take questions from certain reporters.

    However, I haven't seen many politicians and never a president go off on journalists and attack them like I have seen celebrities. Some journalists are well known for pissing people off and crossing the line.

    I also hate when journalists ask stupid ass questions like... how did it feel being held hostage with a knife to your throat? I have seen some journalists angrily ask the same question over and over to people who have no capability to answer to question or to the info. Sometimes people want answers, and the journalists is trying to appear tough or save face.

    BTW... I have never met anybody who has dealt with journalists themselves, and claim to like them.
    It depends on the journalist. Some are extremely professional, some are complete assholes.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #26
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    It depends on the journalist. Some are extremely professional, some are complete assholes.
    Where's that line? I mean don't we want tough questions being answered? Or are we happy to hear full paragraphs in response to a yes or no question?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #27
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    i would want to see the unedited version of the interview, to see if the interviewer did interrupt the president's answers


    what we do know is that the interviewer is manipulative. we know this by his insisting that Obama's comments reflected the president's dislike of his answers being challenged, when that edited video clearly describes Obama actually objecting to being interrupted

    my speculation is the interviewer has an agenda to so wantonly misrepresent what the president said



    notice how desperate the reich wing is, to trot this out. it is telling. they have so little to be able to criticize they must fabricate things to whine about

    of course the 2012 republican nominee will be a shoo in ... too bad they don't have one
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #28
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Isn't it appropriate to let someone answer, completely answer a question when you ask one? Why ask a question if you don;t really want a complete answer? Sounds like what you would find on a politicakl board where the person asking the question only wants the answer they've created in their mind.
    That kind of reminds me of of Conservative on these boards... He'll keep asking the same question over and over again, like it's the most pivotal, thought provoking question in the entire debate. People keep answering it over and over again, but he doesn't like the answer, so he'll keep asking it again and again.

    It's really egotistical when journalists act like that... If they interrupt somebody because they don't like the answer, they are showing their biasedness. They can't respect the person they are talking to, and they may have even had a mental flow chart of how the questions and answers would have played out to their benefit.

  9. #29
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    He hasn't behaved like a president since he took office, why would you expect him to behave like one during an interview?
    Believe me, I know exactly what you're saying and agree with you... Why do you think I said Obama should have taken a page from George Bush's book on how to deal with hostile members of the media?

  10. #30
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Believe me, I know exactly what you're saying and agree with you... Why do you think I said Obama should have taken a page from George Bush's book on how to deal with hostile members of the media?
    yes, dubya was so effective with the reporters:

    let's see how the iraqis responded to such "insult"
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •