Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 295

Thread: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I still don't really understand what's wrong with asking to be able to complete one's answer when asked a question.
    There's nothing wrong with it. Folks who simply don't like this President will dredge up just about anything to make a big deal out of it in an effort to make him look petty and insignificant. But I bet if it were Reagan or either of the Bushes and a journalist from NBC/MSNBC or CNN did it they'd be stark raving mad about it and insisting that the journalist was bias.

    I'm not claiming such; I just think it's rude for anyone no matter who they are not to allow a person the opportunity to complete their statement especially if that person is the President of the United States. Goes to total disrespect for the person and the office.

  2. #122
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The interviewer doesn't decide how much time he has, the administration does. He does what he needs to do.

    Now with that being said, I think Obama is a checkers player as opposed to a chess player.

    His comments put this nothing reporter on the lips of the whole country.

    If Obama would have just walked off, nobody would have even paid attention to the interview and we wouldn't be talking about it here now.

    We need a chess player as a president to see three or four moves down the road.
    For ****s sake, I don't care how the pres interacts with journalists. I care about whether or not he respects my rights and doesn't screw the country up, or treats the Constitution like it's just a piece of paper. Honestly, you are looking for some BS to complain about and pin on Obama.

  3. #123
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I've got a better idea.

    If I was President and somebody wanted an interview, I'd specify a few basic rules of common courtesy, and if when it became clear that they weren't going to be respected, I'd simply tell the hatchet-man in question that I had affairs of state to attend to and walk away.

    ETA: I'd also flatly refuse any future interview requests from that station or network until I received a formal apology.
    I like that idea. I really don't want to see journalists treat our leaders with disrespect. If the American people are going to stand to see some Liberal Arts students treat the president with disrespect, then why can't foreign leaders, our enemies, or anybody else in this country do the same? The president in the the commander in chief of the armed forces, and it is unacceptable in the armed forces to talk to your superiors disrespectfully or interrupt them. You can be held in contempt of court if you disrespect a freaking judge. You shouldn't be allowed to disrespect the president.

  4. #124
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    There's nothing wrong with it. Folks who simply don't like this President will dredge up just about anything to make a big deal out of it in an effort to make him look petty and insignificant. But I bet if it were Reagan or either of the Bushes and a journalist from NBC/MSNBC or CNN did it they'd be stark raving mad about it and insisting that the journalist was bias.

    I'm not claiming such; I just think it's rude for anyone no matter who they are not to allow a person the opportunity to complete their statement especially if that person is the President of the United States. Goes to total disrespect for the person and the office.
    This is true... If Couric interrupted Palin like that, the GOP would have been fuming.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    This is true... If Couric interrupted Palin like that, the GOP would have been fuming.
    Oh, yes if someone like Olbermen or Couric interrupted Bush during his presidency every one in the Media would be in an outrage right now.


    I still don't see what is wrong with the asking if he could finish his answer.
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 04-19-11 at 07:32 PM.

  6. #126
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    They must have edited out all of the reporter’s interruptions because I didn’t see any. Looked more like Obama was just angry that he got called out when he got caught lying about the “few” percentage points he lost Texas by.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  7. #127
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What a child this man is. Thin skinned, and unwilling to be challenged in his answers to tough questions. In fact anyone remember during the campaign, reporters he didn't like the questions of somehow disappeared from the press pool?

    This is a man that likes to 'control' the media and when he can't it rattles him. What a loser he is.

    j-mac
    I believe the real losers here are all those birthers who are doing their best to make up fake issues about Obama.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I think you have to know how Obama thinks and what is motivating him to make his decisions, before you can actually judge him and form an opinion on his judgement.
    you don't know what motivated obama when the party failed to produce a 2011 budget?

    you don't know how he was thinking when he crammed obamacare via senate reconciliation?

    why he can't say the word stimulus anymore?

    why he wants to raise taxes on energy in the midst of our crisis?

    why he ESCALATED afghanistan?

    why he said "days, not weeks" in libya?

    why his 2012 budget which is real---unlike this stump speech he's on this week and will soon drop---actually raises borrowing 20% and is too cowardly even to mention the entitlements which his own bowles-simpson pointed to?

    why he's stumping this week instead of legislating, why he's not MOVING on the deficit reduction agenda he's presently townhalling?

    and when he intends to get started?

    while the slasher dithers, our big 3 social programs are facing collapse, if something isn't done today to fundamentally restructure them they will simply not be there for the next generation

    I'd like to hear him explain everything, then his way of thinking and presidency can be challenged
    in the days after the shellacking that's what obama was saying:

    “I think that, over the course of two years we were so busy and so focused on getting a bunch of stuff done that, we stopped paying attention to the fact that leadership isn’t just legislation. That it’s a matter of persuading people. And giving them confidence and bringing them together. And setting a tone,” Mr. Obama told 60 Minutes’ Steve Kroft in an exclusive interview set to air Sunday.

    “Making an argument that people can understand,” Mr. Obama continued, “I think that we haven’t always been successful at that. And I take personal responsibility for that. And it’s something that I’ve got to examine carefully … as I go forward.”
    President Barack Obama On 60 Minutes Acknowledges He's Failed To Deliver His Message « CBS New York

    typically in character, he dropped the dodge in a week

    americans have heard obama's reasons, in full and ad nauseum

    if you need to reserve judgement, by all means, it's your prerogative

    most mature americans, tho, are asking---where's the leadership?

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    obama in 08: asked by charlie gibson if he'd raise capital gains taxe rates even if it were shown that doing so would not result in increased revenue, obama answered in the affirmative, explaining that he would "raise the capital gains rates for purposes of fairness"

    YouTube - Obama: Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - "For Purposes of Fairness"

    know the man

    meanwhile, where's the plan, when's the plan, what's the plan

    obama's had 2 years to answer, skeptical journalists aside

    hurry, harry

    service on the debt, mere interest alone, is fast approaching a full trillion dollars per year

    News Headlines

    answers, anyone?

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Obama to reporter: 'Let me finish my answers' next time

    Let me try and take this on...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    you don't know what motivated obama when the party failed to produce a 2011 budget?
    Don't know...maybe the House leadership (Pelosi) who determines the legislative agenda decided she had other matters to attend to at the time. I'd have to go back and try to research what was on the docket or what national events were taking place between Oct 1 and Nov 3, 2010.

    you don't know how he was thinking when he crammed obamacare via senate reconciliation?
    This thing called the filerbuster prevented a straight up or down vote on the matter, and since Senate Republicans were doing everything they could to block bringing the matter to the floor...'nuff said.

    why he can't say the word stimulus anymore?
    Probably for the same reason politicians are affraid to say "entitlements"...because the GOP has made it such a dirty word like taxes few want to raise the issue.

    why he wants to raise taxes on energy in the midst of our crisis?
    What proof do you have of this? Unless you're referring to a carbon tax on the formerly proposed cap and trade bill, I don't think anyone is calling for higher taxes on energy presently. However, there is talk for eliminating subsidies for oil and large farms and farming co-ops. After paying such subsidies for years spanning as far back as the 1930's, I'd say it's way beyond time to end both.

    why he ESCALATED afghanistan?
    Ummm...probably because his predecessor didn't finish the job because he took his eye off Afghanistan and instead focused on the wrong war - IRAQ!

    why he said "days, not weeks" in libya?
    Are we or are we not the lead military force in Libya? Has NATO taken charge or is the U.S. still in charge? We may still be involved there, but not nearly in the capacity some people presumed we would be. And frankly, intervention for humanitarian reasons AND establishing a U.N.-coalition to do so was the right thing to do.

    why his 2012 budget which is real---unlike this stump speech he's on this week and will soon drop---actually raises borrowing 20% and is too cowardly even to mention the entitlements which his own bowles-simpson pointed to?
    Who sayes? The CBO or is this mere speculation by the GOP? Link please, then let's discuss...

    why he's stumping this week instead of legislating, why he's not MOVING on the deficit reduction agenda he's presently townhalling?
    A false premise. First off, he's NOT a member of Congress. Thus, he doesn't "legislate". He leads from the executive. Big difference. Besides, it's nearing campaign season. Second, did you complain when Reagan, Bush I or II began their re-election campaigns this soon? Third, go back to my first point on the deficit reduction issue. Moreover, considering he just signed a 6-month spending bill that contains over $38.5 billion in spending cuts, I'd say he's doing his part to reduce the deficit. So, unless you want Congress to declare bankruptcy, neither the deficit nor the debt can be drawn down so drastically in such a short time. It took us a decade to get into this mess due to deregulation (by Clinton) and excessive spending (by GW Bush) and greed (by Wall Street). It's going to take a while to get out of it.

    and when he intends to get started?
    I'd say he's already begun. You're just not paying attention, but that tends to happen with partisan hacks. But reasonable people do pay attention.

    while the slasher dithers, our big 3 social programs are facing collapse, if something isn't done today to fundamentally restructure them they will simply not be there for the next generation.
    Like the THREE Republican Presidents who knew this problem was on the horizon over THIRTY-YEARS AGO did NOTHING to change the circumstances for today? Let's put the blame where it truly lay, shall we? THREE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT IGNORED THE PROBLEM!!!!

    in the days after the shellacking that's what obama was saying:
    The ONLY reason you (Conservatives) have a problem with his "pivet" on governing is you're afraid he'll live up to his legendary inaugral speech. LOL I'm laughing because it was a good speech and from the looks of it he's starting to get out in front of many of the issues the GOP want to tear down. I'll give your side some credit, however. You've had marginal success in moving some of your spending cuts and union busting efforts forward, but not by much. People are starting to see you guys as too far-right. And just as some were saying earlier that folks were having second thoughts about voting for the President, just as many if not more are starting to question their vote for Republicans in the midterms. Your side is starting to put their collective foot in their mouths. All that's really left is to determine what size fits all and give it a big shove!

    typically in character, he dropped the dodge in a week
    What???

    americans have heard obama's reasons, in full and ad nauseum

    if you need to reserve judgement, by all means, it's your prerogative

    most mature americans, tho, are asking---where's the leadership?
    Oh, he's leading...just not the way you'd want him to because he's not supporting your agenda which, IMO, is so two-faced. I mean, you claim "government getting involved with my health care," then in near unison House Republicans give a party-line vote to Paul Ryans bill which will not only reduce Medicare and Medicaid benefits, but force Medicare recipients to pay more for what they've already paid into? Unreal...

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •