Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 82

Thread: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

  1. #71
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I'm sure you would give that same interpretation to a Feces Muhammad.
    It depends. I'm far more aware and knowledgable about Christianity than I am of Islam. I do find it interesting that Christians get so defensive about "Piss Christ" that they have to bring up Islam though. Is it that hard to stomach that some people choose to interpret "Piss Christ" differently than you? If the interpretation of "Piss Christ" were that cut and dry and clearly just disparaging against Jesus and Christianity, I could see your point.

  2. #72
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    It depends. I'm far more aware and knowledgable about Christianity than I am of Islam. I do find it interesting that Christians get so defensive about "Piss Christ" that they have to bring up Islam though.
    Its because many Christians know that there is a double standard. If this was a piss Koran or a Piss Mohamed there is no way in hell this would have been on display in a museum in France and he would have been arrested and or fined for violating hate speech laws. Serrano probably wouldn't have even been allowed to step foot in France.


    Is it that hard to stomach that some people choose to interpret "Piss Christ" differently than you? If the interpretation of "Piss Christ" were that cut and dry and clearly just disparaging against Jesus and Christianity, I could see your point.
    I think if you take anything a large group of people consider sacred and drop in a jar of piss many people are going to be offended regardless of a what a so called artist claims his interpretation is.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #73
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    It depends. I'm far more aware and knowledgable about Christianity than I am of Islam. I do find it interesting that Christians get so defensive about "Piss Christ" that they have to bring up Islam though. Is it that hard to stomach that some people choose to interpret "Piss Christ" differently than you? If the interpretation of "Piss Christ" were that cut and dry and clearly just disparaging against Jesus and Christianity, I could see your point.
    In other words, no, you would not interpret a "Feces Muhammad" in any other way than what it was meant to be. A disgusting disparaging of Muhammad and the religion of Islam.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  4. #74
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    In other words, no, you would not interpret a "Feces Muhammad" in any other way than what it was meant to be. A disgusting disparaging of Muhammad and the religion of Islam.
    Not necessarily. I didn't say I would one way or the other. However, I interpret "Piss Christ" the way I do because I'm far more aware of Christianity and what many have done to disparage Jesus than I am about Islam and what people have done to disparage Mohammad. I, unlike many people on this forum, am not going to pretend to know enough about Islam to make harsh judgments about it. I interpret "Piss Christ" the way I want to, and the way that the artist himself has admitted to doing so. If you choose to interpret it differently, that's your perogative.

  5. #75
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    I suppose my interpretation on "Feces Muhammad" would also depend on who made the picture and what their statement about it was. There is a pretty strong anti-Islam view in the US and if someone did make a "Feces Muhammad" it would seem more like retribution for "Piss Christ". If some random American, with little understanding of Islam made "Feces Muhammad", it wouldn't be the same as "Piss Christ" and my interpretation would lean more towards it being a blatant jab at Islam. I would do the same if some random Muslim with very little understanding of Christianity had made "Piss Christ". However, that is clearly not the case.

  6. #76
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Art is objective.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Following your logic, someone could film the rape and murder of your entire family and call it art, no?
    It would all depend on how it is filmed, the intended message, the target audience, etc. Right now we're just dealing with your idea in a vacuum and that's not really addressing something that's tangible and we can talk about, like the Piss Christ.

    I see where you are trying to go with it, but I don't think I can follow you there because it's too hypothetical.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage
    France is one of those Eurotrash countries with anti-free speech laws where they can fine or jail a preacher for saying homosexuality is a sin or fine and or jail someone for offending a Muslim but someone can put a Rosary cross in a jar of piss and call it art and it is not considered hate speech in that country? If this man had taken a plastic figurine of Mohamed and put it in a jar of piss I somehow doubt France would let him hold an exhibit of it and would toss his ass in jail.
    You and several others on this forum have strong delusions about what you think France is, and you are very stubbornly attached to a narrative about that country you've been feeding your own minds over and over.

    I don't know the full scope of the religious situation in France, as it is not a country I have deep associations with. I've been there a couple of times - I did not have the experience of racial or religious tension in the areas I visited. I went to a few major art galleries and there were many challenging works to experience and process. Honestly, Piss Christ is just par for the course. The artist made something that became particularly sensationalized, and his work stood out. There are others around that make statements just as potentially shocking. Right now the news is focused on this one.

    We are far removed from Europe, being Americans. And "Europe" is a very nebulous idea because it is many different kinds of thinking packed into a small geography, just as France itself is "one country" but has many different perspectives packed into one. Is America one place, with one culture? I don't think so, do you?

    I am not at all convinced that the tide has turned against Christianity in France. The fact that there are actual devout religious people partaking in this debate and representing many sides shows that it's not just a matter of religion vs. anti-religion.
    Last edited by Temporal; 04-24-11 at 09:07 AM.

  8. #78
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Am I the only one who wants to take that "art", and place it in Marcel Duhhamp's most famous work from 1917?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #79
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its because many Christians know that there is a double standard. If this was a piss Koran or a Piss Mohamed there is no way in hell this would have been on display in a museum in France and he would have been arrested and or fined for violating hate speech laws. Serrano probably wouldn't have even been allowed to step foot in France.

    I think if you take anything a large group of people consider sacred and drop in a jar of piss many people are going to be offended regardless of a what a so called artist claims his interpretation is.
    Anybody can claim to be an artist. I donot see the artistic value in putting a crucifix in piss. What talent did it take? Did he mold the crucifix out of plastic, and then drink or eat something that would change the color of his urine? I don't see the talent. Any museum that would allow this to be called "art" isn't much of a museum.

    This guy could take a dump, put a candle in it, and voile, art. Complete nonsense.

    The guys making a statement, not creating art. He's bogus as an artiste.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Attack on 'blasphemous' art work fires debate on role of religion in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Not necessarily. I didn't say I would one way or the other. However, I interpret "Piss Christ" the way I do because I'm far more aware of Christianity and what many have done to disparage Jesus than I am about Islam and what people have done to disparage Mohammad. I, unlike many people on this forum, am not going to pretend to know enough about Islam to make harsh judgments about it. I interpret "Piss Christ" the way I want to, and the way that the artist himself has admitted to doing so. If you choose to interpret it differently, that's your perogative.
    Well I don't know that much about Christianity or Islam. I am familiar with piss and ****. I interpret both to be vile and disgusting if I get any on me. Each to their own fetishs I guess.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •