Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Thread: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110414/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_history_calif_schools
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people would be added to the lengthy list of social and ethnic groups that public schools must include in social studies lessons under a landmark bill passed Thursday by the California Senate.

    If the bill is adopted by the state Assembly and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown, California would become the first state to require the teaching of gay history.

    Supporters say the move is needed to counter anti-gay stereotypes and beliefs that make children in those groups vulnerable to bullying and suicide.

    Opponents counter that such instruction would further burden an already crowded curriculum and expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable.

    The legislation, sponsored by Democratic Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco, passed on a 23-14 party line vote. It also would add disabled people to the curriculum.

    The bill gives school districts flexibility in deciding what to include in the lessons and at what grades students would receive them.

    But starting in the 2013-14 school year, it would prohibit districts and the California Board of Education from using textbooks or other instructional materials that reflect adversely on gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

    Appealing to colleagues for support, Leno said gay children still struggle routinely with verbal and physical abuse at school, even though society is more accepting than when he was a gay youth in the 1960s.

    "We are second-class citizens and children are listening," he said. "When they see their teachers don't step up to the plate when their classmate is being harassed literally to death, they are listening and they get the message that there is something wrong with those people."
    The right wing are going to just love this.

    Do you agree with making this a mandatory part of the curriculum?

    I'm somewhat torn, mostly because I don't think gays should get preferential treatment. If things are going to shape up in this direction, then wouldn't it make sense to include things like black history?

    I do believe that gays are unnecessarily censored from the history books. In college I took a course about gay and feminist history and I was shocked by the amount of material that nobody has any idea about. For example, some of the world's major inventors, world leaders, CEOs, etc. were gay and had partners, yet we never hear about them. Perhaps it is time for the revisionism to end.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    The right wing are going to just love this.

    Do you agree with making this a mandatory part of the curriculum?

    I'm somewhat torn, mostly because I don't think gays should get preferential treatment. If things are going to shape up in this direction, then wouldn't it make sense to include things like black history?

    I do believe that gays are unnecessarily censored from the history books. In college I took a course about gay and feminist history and I was shocked by the amount of material that nobody has any idea about. For example, some of the world's major inventors, world leaders, CEOs, etc. were gay and had partners, yet we never hear about them. Perhaps it is time for the revisionism to end.
    I think identity politics is ghey.

    I don't support further politicizing education, for the sake of children, THE CHILDREN!!
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #3
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    I will not get deep into this because I do not want to offend any one person....this is STOOOPID and this kind of thing is the reason our schools graduate half retards from HighSchool that cant read a full paragraph...stop the nonesense

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I will not get deep into this because I do not want to offend any one person....this is STOOOPID and this kind of thing is the reason our schools graduate half retards from HighSchool that cant read a full paragraph...stop the nonesense
    Really, THIS is why our schools suck?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #5
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    I'd rather they actually teach kids how to read and write and make ****ing change out of 12.72 cents when you give them 20.75 cents without asking someone or pulling out their cell phone calculator. That would be a cool trick.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #6
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'd rather they actually teach kids how to read and write and make ****ing change out of 12.72 cents when you give them 20.75 cents without asking someone or pulling out their cell phone calculator. That would be a cool trick.
    *brings up MS calc*

    No cell phone calc.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Watch this.

    I disagree with this. In fact, I disagree with ALL of the special distinctions of ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, or anything that MUST be included. If the individual was important, for whatever reason, include him/her. Identify his/her "characteristics" in passing. To me, it's that simple. Once you make your ethnicity, race, or sexual orientation your defining characteristic, you diminish your importance and those achievements as a PERSON. Me being Jewish is part of who I am, but it does not define me.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    While I have no problem with gay issues being taught in school to age appropriate kids, I don't really support mandating it. I do however support this part:

    But starting in the 2013-14 school year, it would prohibit districts and the California Board of Education from using textbooks or other instructional materials that reflect adversely on gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'd rather they actually teach kids how to read and write and make ****ing change out of 12.72 cents when you give them 20.75 cents without asking someone or pulling out their cell phone calculator. That would be a cool trick.
    How dare you have the same pet peeve as I do.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Supporters say the move is needed to counter anti-gay stereotypes and beliefs that make children in those groups vulnerable to bullying and suicide.
    This got me wondering... when are they going to get around to providing social studies lessons on nerds? After all, anti-nerd stereotypes and beliefs are more prevalent and certainly more likely to be tolerated by authority figures.

    Some people may even be shocked to learn that not just some, but many of the world's major inventors, world leaders, CEOs, etc. were nerdy dorks. The revisionism never seems to stop. Probably all of us were beat over the head with stories about how Issac Newton and Thomas Edison were really cool heterosexuals and were never told about those inventors who may have gay or even geeks.

    I contacted a representative for California Schools and asked why no such legislation to counter anti-nerd stereotypes had been proposed. They told me that embracing and celebrating a bunch of educated intellectuals would only hurt the self esteem of their public school students.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •