Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 107

Thread: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Well, no - I would guess that the vast majority of our greatest living historians never received any formal training on LGBT people. It's not a question of competence, it's a question of what you want to cover in the limited amount of time available. If we could do it all, there would be no need for history courses in college or beyond.

    On the other hand, if you try to acknowledge everything, treatment of each topic will be so brief that students will have learned nothing.
    I don't think one needs any special training on how to teach history that involves the LGBT people. In regards to US they should know how LGBT people have been treated, and about the LGBT rights movement, and they should be taught similar things about world history etc. It should not be a section about "LGBT history" specifically, but it should just be apart of history class, and when the teacher gets to that specific point in history, and something of importance happened in regards to LGBT issues, it should be brought up, just like with women's history, black history, native american history etc. Our students have a right to know about this stuff.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #42
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    05-25-11 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I believe that is already law in CA, and I agree with that. Textbooks should not criticize due to ethnicity.
    I agree completely with this.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I believe that is already law in CA, and I agree with that. Textbooks should not criticize due to ethnicity.
    Oh no you don't, don't even try getting away with that, your quote doesn't say "based on", it says "reflect adversely on".

    So, we can't talk about WW2, because that would 'reflect adversely on' German Americans.

    Can't talk about our 40-year-long war on terror, because that would "reflect adversely on" Muslims.

    THe problems with "reflection" is that it's all pure subjective interpretation. All it take is 1 loud-mouth with the ACLU on speed-dial to claim given historical character's bio "reflect adversely on" gays and the school's teachers get to have another union protest over low pay because all the school's money went to another molti-million-dollar lawsuit.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-15-11 at 07:55 PM.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I disagree. I think things like that aren't very relevant to history and I believe the goal of the CA senate bill is to influence the morality of students. I think sexuality should be left out of history class. I think schools should stay away from sexual ethics.
    But sexuality is apart of history, you can't teach history without acknowledging sexuality. The CA senate bill seems stupid to me, because these things should already be taught, and they shouldn't be apart of some special section of the class, but apart of the class as a whole. I know I was taught about the stonewall riots, and SSM in other countries, how LGBT people were treated throughout history etc. This isn't about sexual ethics, but teaching history, if it happens, and it is significant, it should be taught. Knowing that many popes had sex is significant, knowing how groups of people were treated at different periods of time in history is significant, knowing about the laws of our country, and other countries is significant.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #45
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    The right wing are going to just love this.

    Do you agree with making this a mandatory part of the curriculum?

    I'm somewhat torn, mostly because I don't think gays should get preferential treatment. If things are going to shape up in this direction, then wouldn't it make sense to include things like black history?

    I do believe that gays are unnecessarily censored from the history books. In college I took a course about gay and feminist history and I was shocked by the amount of material that nobody has any idea about. For example, some of the world's major inventors, world leaders, CEOs, etc. were gay and had partners, yet we never hear about them. Perhaps it is time for the revisionism to end.
    For me it all depends on the reasoning. If peoples achivments are being excluded from history because they were gay, thats simply wrong. If on the other hand they are being displayed in history for their achivments because they are gay, thats equally wrong.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So your saying history has no educational value?

    Also what would you consider essential?
    No, I'm saying gay history (Whatever that is) has no educational value to people who are NOT gay.. Honestly, if you're not gay why would this have any value to you? Maybe they can make it an elective or something?? Either way, I'm not sure, or can't identify any value to teaching kids about it? Oh, and that means a lot of things that are on the curriculum that need to go IMO.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    No, I'm saying gay history (Whatever that is) has no educational value to people who are NOT gay.. Honestly, if you're not gay why would this have any value to you? Maybe they can make it an elective or something?? Either way, I'm not sure, or can't identify any value to teaching kids about it? Oh, and that means a lot of things that are on the curriculum that need to go IMO.


    Tim-
    So if your not Catholic you don't need to learn about the Papacy, right?

    The fact is, that if it is significant, it needs to be taught, and things like the Stonewall riots, how LGBT people were treated during different periods of time in history is significant. Just like knowing how women have been treated throughout history is significant to know, even if you are a man.
    Last edited by Your Star; 04-15-11 at 07:58 PM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #48
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh no you don't, don't even try getting away with that, your quote doesn't say "based on", it says "reflect adversely on".

    So, we can't talk about WW2, because that would 'reflect adversely on' German Americans.

    Can't talk about our 40-year-long war on terror, because that would "reflect adversely on" Muslims.

    THe problems with "reflection" is that it's all pure subjective interpretation. All it take is 1 loud-mouth with the ACLU on speed-dial to claim given historical character's bio "reflect adversely on" gays and the school's teachers get to have another union protest over low pay because all the school's money went to another molti-million-dollar lawsuit.
    No Jerry, just no. You are taking a point and stretching way past what is there.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So if your not Catholic you don't need to learn about the Papacy, right?

    The fact is, that if it is significant, it needs to be taught, and things like the Stonewall riots, how LGBT people were treated during different periods of time in history is significant. Just like knowing how women have been treated throughout history is significant to know, even if you are a man.
    I'm not sure religion of ANY kind is taught in public schools, is it?

    edit: Oh, and equate much? Religion at least I can see as having some educational value in the sense that it has had, and continues to have a great influence on our entire human population. Gayness?? Not so much, eh?

    Tim-
    Last edited by Hicup; 04-15-11 at 08:02 PM.
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No Jerry, just no. You are taking a point and stretching way past what is there.
    I suppose that's one way to avoid admitting your error, sure.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •