Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 351

Thread: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sad. Just sad.
    What is sad about each state requiring each candidate registering to run for the office of president to show the state proof that he meets the Constitutional requirements for the office? The Mayor has it on good authority that Obama claims to be a natural born citizen, so what's the problem here?

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    um... how the **** can a state tell the federal government what they can or cannot do?
    It's easy. The state isn't telling the federal government anything. The state is telling people seeking to be on it's ballot that they need to prove they meet the requirements for the office. Perfectly Constitutional, that.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Apuzo View Post
    It was found out last year that Eisenhower, who was white had to show his birth certificate to be eligible.

    Ike needed birth certificate to run for president / September 22, 2010 / Sonoran News

    original archived newspaper from the 50s
    The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search
    Why on earth would they want Ike's BC? To my knowledge, he wasn't black.

    Ike needed birth certificate to run for president / September 22, 2010 / Sonoran News
    However, the need arose when he became a presidential candidate. Since Eisenhower was the oldest man to be elected president since James Buchanan over 100 years earlier, age was obviously not at issue. Instead, there was protocol in place for presidential candidates to provide proof of eligibility to appear on the ballot.
    Elected 34th president of the United States in November 1952, Eisenhower made it through his first 62 years without any need for a birth certificate.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  4. #194
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I'm sure many Arizonans would find your use of the words anti-immigration laws offensive.
    The motivation behind the laws is to appeal to the xenophobic (anti-immigrant) right wing voters in the state who are scared of non-White (i. e. brown) peoples, who they believe are invading America to destroy it's supposedly "proper" White culture.

    That xenophobia is evident in bans like this. . .

    Arizona education chief moves to ban ethnic studies in Tucson schools - CNN

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Don't you think latinos would like to see immigration laws enforced too? They are being harmed by illegal immigration too.
    True, and many of them, it would seem, aren't savvy enough to recognize it. It's well known that Latino labor organizers like Cesar Chaves opposed open immigration to improve the work conditions for laborers.

    If they did recognize it, it would certainly be ironical. The last thing the border bigots in AZ want is for Latinos in the state to benefit from those laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Granted, the way the media lied about what the laws actually were would give them pause, but the truth is, the bill would be to their benefit too. Why wouldn't the birther bill be enforced? It sure ought to be. To not be, would seem to be unconstitutional.
    OK, please explain how it would be enforced (this should be interesting. . .!)

  5. #195
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Read, Jet, read!!! McCain went before a Congressional committee regarding his birthplace. John McCain sounds pretty WASPY to me. This has absolutely nothing to do with the color of his skin.
    Not entirely true. McCain was never really questioned until the Obama silliness. And even then, it was more show than anything else. Remove Obama, and there would be no questioning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    What is sad about each state requiring each candidate registering to run for the office of president to show the state proof that he meets the Constitutional requirements for the office? The Mayor has it on good authority that Obama claims to be a natural born citizen, so what's the problem here?
    It's already done. We have not and do not have a problem here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The point is!! It makes perfect sense that any candidate for President of the United States should be formally vetted. What's so damned odd about that? Shouldn't candidates have to prove their eligibility?? Come on, make a case for why it doesn't make sense they should have to do so in a formal manner. I'll wait.
    This is based on the assumption that they are not. The fact is they are. There was no need for this waste of time and money and ink.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Hardly. There was no legitmate reason for it to have ever been an issue this time. You can't legislate away stupid. Stupid will always find a way.
    Actually, only people worried that their favorite candidate won't be able to register in Arizona would be bothered by a law that does nothing but stipulate a candidate prove his eligibility for an office before being allowed on the ballot.

    But just think, this will keep Arnold Schwarzenegger from running in Arizona. Perhaps Arizona saw what Arnold Kennedy Schwarzenegger did to California and don't want him campaigning for president in their state?

  9. #199
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Tell us what exactly is wrong with a law that requests documentation that a presidential candidate meet the requirements of office. Then give us a link to this "current law" that is more than sufficient to settle the question. I'll check back in July.



    Tinfoil hats/racial prejudice...whatever it takes to discredit yes?



    1st Bold: One state does not have to recognize a License to Carry from another state, nor a plain old gun permit. 2nd Bold: The absolutely amazing thing is that we don't have something like this on the national level. 3rd Bold: Get 2/3 of the states to approve an amendment to the constitution, and we'll talk.



    No, I don't. There was some question about his citizenship and he went before a congressional committee to prove his eligibility. I don't believe that Obama is ineligible. My own personal opinion. However, I see nothing wrong with Arizona setting out steps that must be taken to prove a candidate's eligibility to be President of the United States. The amazing thing is that it's never been done on the national level. Never. In over 200 years. How absolutely weird.
    Only Congress can directly remove Obama from office via impeachment/conviction. And Congress would not do even if it were proven that Obama was not a natural born citizen, because Congress' allegiance is not to the Constitution or to any other laws, but rather to PACs and corporations.

    Do you not understand the nature of a plutocracy?

  10. #200
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I'm pretty sure he said that way before the election. It was in that famous speech he made at the DNC convention for Kerry I think. What's your point?
    That is wasn't the American people who were talking about his "funny" name or the color of his skin. He was drawing attention to those things himself.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •