Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 351

Thread: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

  1. #121
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Sheeesh. What would happen if you read the bill? It really doesn't hurt and it answers CriticalThought's question.
    Sheeesh what? Why do I need to read a bill that was based on the outlandish assumption that our president may not be a citizen? Unless the bill says, "We did not create this because of Obama but have been thinking about doing this since before giant groups of fringe conservatives attacked him", then I don't see your point. Between this and their "immigration reform", I don't see how anyone can take Arizona's legislature serious...
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #122
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yes. A person who is a dual citizen of the United States and any other country at the time of their birth, is a citizen of the United States at the time of their birth, and therefore is a natural-born citizen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apuzo View Post
    Show me a link to verify this.
    United States v. Wong Kim Ark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Afroyim v. Rusk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Vance v. Terrazas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And from the 14th amendment: Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 04-14-11 at 02:28 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #123
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    They same way they are going to make sure that the police aren't racial profiling... they aren't. Arizona is seeming pretty fringe, right-wing lately.
    Do you know for a fact whether or not it is going to be based solely on the discretion of state officials or what state officials get to decide?

  4. #124
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Do you know for a fact whether or not it is going to be based solely on the discretion of state officials or what state officials get to decide?
    No idea. Not sure it really matters at this point.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #125
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why wouldn't it?
    The two things are separate and different.
    I may be wrong.

  6. #126
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    No idea. Not sure it really matters at this point.
    It's a major point to me. Neither you nor Simon can provide me any details on how this law would actually be carried out and what mechanisms would be in place to prevent abuse. It doesn't sound like anyone is very knowledgeable about this law.

  7. #127
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Sheeesh what? Why do I need to read a bill that was based on the outlandish assumption that our president may not be a citizen?
    Because your in a debate forum having a discussion about it. Just saying
    I may be wrong.

  8. #128
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-17-11 @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    78

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    United States v. Wong Kim Ark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Afroyim v. Rusk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Vance v. Terrazas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And from the 14th amendment: Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
    Wong Kim Ark was never declared a natural born citizen as Article 2 Section 1 calls for. He was declared just a citizen. A question. How can a person whose birth status was governed by the United Kingdom be considered a natural born citizen of the United States?
    Last edited by Apuzo; 04-14-11 at 02:44 AM.

  9. #129
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It's a major point to me. Neither you nor Simon can provide me any details on how this law would actually be carried out and what mechanisms would be in place to prevent abuse. It doesn't sound like anyone is very knowledgeable about this law.
    You have mistaken won't for can't.

    here
    Let me google that for you
    I may be wrong.

  10. #130
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Associated Press: Arizona Senate Approves 'Birther' Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Apuzo View Post
    Wong Kim Ark was never declared a natural born citizen as Article 2 Section 1 calls for. He was declared just a citizen.
    Okay, your turn.

    Would you please provide an authoritative interpretation of natural born citizen in re the US Constitution?

    It's not clear that the Secretary of State or the State Department has the power to interpret the Constitution authoritatively. Generally that power is thought to reside in the judicial branch, not the executive. So your previous citations don't qualify as authoritative

    Also, it would be nice if you admitted that the Cong Globe was the documentation of Congressional debates where people said all sorts of things. These debate are also not often considered to be authoritative interpretations of the Constitution. So, you quote from the Congressional Globe doesn't really resolve a thing. So your previous citations don't qualify as authoritative

    The Eisenhower case proves that a simple birth certificate is ample to prove one's eligibility to be PotUSA.
    I may be wrong.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •