Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 459

Thread: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

  1. #341
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It would only make the situation worse. "The Rich" - whether you define that as those making 250k or more, the top 1%, the top 5% or even the top 20% (in 2010, households with incomes more than $88,000) pay a greater share of taxes now and throughout the Bush years than at any time going back to 1979 (the earliest year for which I can find statistics).

    We presently find ourselves in a situation where 80% of taxpayers either shoulder half the burden they paid in the 70's, or pay nothing at all and instead make money off of the income tax. If anyone is not paying their "fair share" it's this group.

    If you want to raise taxes, it needs to be across the board. Maybe when people are actually paying for the services they receive, they'll be more responsible with what they demand.
    i didn't quite understand your post, but i completely disagree that we need to raise taxes on everyone. as a middle class taxpayer, i wouldn't mind a bump, but of course the larger increase needs to go to the wealthy. period, no way around it. they did just fine at the higher rate.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #342
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    this was an excellent speechless speech responding to the republican counter to Obama's most recent address:
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #343
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    but of course the larger increase needs to go to the wealthy. period, no way around it. they did just fine at the higher rate.
    By that logic, so did everybody else

  4. #344
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    this was an excellent speechless speech responding to the republican counter to Obama's most recent address:

    They pretty well got it said without saying a word...good post.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #345
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    By that logic, so did everybody else
    as i posted, i think the middle class rates could stand a bump as well. i don't think there is any way around it.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #346
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i didn't quite understand your post, but i completely disagree that we need to raise taxes on everyone. as a middle class taxpayer, i wouldn't mind a bump, but of course the larger increase needs to go to the wealthy. period, no way around it. they did just fine at the higher rate.
    Spoken like a true patriot. People should share the burden, except for me.

    I have no problem with a desire to have a viable social safety net. What surprises me with most current liberals is that they want government to do things but don't feel as a country we should pay for it. Sort of like going to a fine restaurant having a geat meal and fine wine and then when the bill comes says in astonishment I can't pay for that. look around the room looking for someone wearing a rolex and tell the waiter send him the bill he can afford it.

    It is sad that the republicans are also so dogmatic on what is a relatively small change in their tax rate. But do not recommend cuts in things like defense that are also not paid for.

    So here is what I would propose. Congresspeople can spend whatever they think their constiuents want with the proviso that you realy pay for. Change the rules for CBO scring so they do more than just add what whatever nonsense congress says someone will cost or save. They should have real non-partisan analysts who do the work of figuring out what something costs. I understand that there is always the problem that different people looking at the same set of facts can wind up with very different answers. Not because they are biased but because no one has a crystal ball and knows exactly what the result of an taken today will be in 10 months let alone 10 years.

  7. #347
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Spoken like a true patriot. People should share the burden, except for me.

    I have no problem with a desire to have a viable social safety net. What surprises me with most current liberals is that they want government to do things but don't feel as a country we should pay for it. Sort of like going to a fine restaurant having a geat meal and fine wine and then when the bill comes says in astonishment I can't pay for that. look around the room looking for someone wearing a rolex and tell the waiter send him the bill he can afford it.

    It is sad that the republicans are also so dogmatic on what is a relatively small change in their tax rate. But do not recommend cuts in things like defense that are also not paid for.

    So here is what I would propose. Congresspeople can spend whatever they think their constiuents want with the proviso that you realy pay for. Change the rules for CBO scring so they do more than just add what whatever nonsense congress says someone will cost or save. They should have real non-partisan analysts who do the work of figuring out what something costs. I understand that there is always the problem that different people looking at the same set of facts can wind up with very different answers. Not because they are biased but because no one has a crystal ball and knows exactly what the result of an taken today will be in 10 months let alone 10 years.
    lol...do you think i'm poor? i am middle class and i specifically posted that i could stand a bump. and i am a liberal. the lower middle class and poor already have enough of a burden, don't you think? a true patriot would care about his fellow citizens.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #348
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    gotta love the move by the demos to embarrass the republicans into voting down their own amendment
    The House on Friday approved a fiscal year 2012 budget resolution from Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) that seeks to drastically limit government spending next year and in years to follow.

    But the vote on the measure — which imposes $5.8 trillion in spending cuts over the next decade — came after a clear sign that at least half of the Republican Caucus supports even tougher spending cuts.

    The final tally was 235-193, with four Republicans opposing it. Every Democrat voted "no."
    House passes Ryan's '12 budget; conservatives want more cuts - The Hill's On The Money

    with americans demanding SOLUTIONS, the party proffers cheap parliamentarian procedurals

    pathetic

    it's your move, harry

    hurry!

    leadership, anyone?
    Last edited by The Prof; 04-15-11 at 04:59 PM.

  9. #349
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    lol...do you think i'm poor? i am middle class and i specifically posted that i could stand a bump. and i am a liberal. the lower middle class and poor already have enough of a burden, don't you think? a true patriot would care about his fellow citizens.
    A true Patriot wouldn't expect someone else to take care of those truly in need but instead would do it themselves through their local charities and church. A true Patriot would do like our Founders did support a smaller central govt. that protects the country and allows the people in the states and local communities solve their own social problems vs. promoting federal social engineering by bureaucrats that are never held accountable for failure and the lack of results are indeed failure.

  10. #350
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama: I'll cut $4 trillion

    1. why didn't president slash submit his "proposals" in writing?

    2. when do you expect him to?

    3. when will harry reid put forward a plan of action?

    4. what exactly will it include?

    5. why did the president's 2012 budget raise borrowing 20% over awful 09?

    6. why did the party fail to produce a blueprint for 11?

    7. why did the president punt on the bush/obama/clinton/boehner/mcconnell tax cuts until the last possible second?

    8. why did the slasher mention nothing about this new "plan" of his in his state of the union, just last january?

    9. why has the senate failed to move on hr1, neither up nor down nor sideways?

    10. what happened to bowles-simpson, slash?

    leadership, anyone?

Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •