Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Perhaps, you are too young to remember; or, perhaps, you're too old to remember; either way, there was a time when government economists fretted about the Clinton federal surplus.




    The current federal deficit is substantially higher because of a severe economic recession brought about a failure of proper government oversight of the financial sector over the past decade. However the effects of that recession will diminish as the economy recovery proceeds. The real concern is the long term, built-in deficits; and, a substantial contributor to those are the Bush 2001 and 2003 tax cuts.
    I don't give a damn what Ari Fliecher said. That is NOT proof that there was a surplus!

    Factcheck.org and the Clinton Surplus

    Fiscal Year End Total Debt
    09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06
    09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86
    09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43
    09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
    09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
    09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
    09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
    09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

    Where is the surplus?

    When Factcheck states that there was a surplus, they are looking at only the public debt and are not including the intra-governmental debt.
    With the debt never once going down in any given year during the Clinton administration, where is the surplus?

    http://www.craigsteiner.us/articles/16

    Fiscal
    Year YearEnding National Debt Deficit
    FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
    FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
    FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
    FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
    FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
    FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
    FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
    FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
    FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion

    While not defending the increase of the federal debt under President Bush, it's curious to see Clinton's record promoted as having generated a surplus. It never happened. There was never a surplus and the facts support that position. In fact, far from a $360 billion reduction in the national debt in FY1998-FY2000, there was an increase of $281 billion.

    Like I said, it's been debunked. Quit saying it's true.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 04-10-11 at 12:43 AM.

  2. #42
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I don't give a damn what Ari Fliecher said. That is NOT proof that there was a surplus!

    Factcheck.org and the Clinton Surplus

    Fiscal Year End Total Debt
    09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06
    09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86
    09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43
    09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
    09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
    09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
    09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
    09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

    Where is the surplus?



    With the debt never once going down in any given year during the Clinton administration, where is the surplus?

    The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

    Fiscal
    Year YearEnding National Debt Deficit
    FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
    FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
    FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
    FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
    FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
    FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
    FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
    FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
    FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion




    Like I said, it's been debunked. Quit saying it's true.
    No it wasn't debunked at all. Slick Willie won the day when he redefined the word "deficit". It's the same day he redefined the word "is". LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #43
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Sorry, but SCOTUS disagrees with you. They ordered the EPA to enforce the law.

    The law already on the books is the Clean Air Act.

    CO2 emissions are a public safety issue. Despite what coal shills like Inhof say.

    You keep revealing your total ignorance on this subject with every post...
    It's not ignorance, SCOTUS decision wasn't unanimous like I said earlier therefor there is questions in the decision. These states also brought a suit against the EPA which mean they had a case, unlike yourself I disagree with SCOTUS and I am not a blind follower such as you have shown to be. SCOTUS only won that case because there where those who are sympathetic to the EPA's cause. Constitutionally speaking I am talking about the law that passed but who decided to make law and enforce it, which was unconstitutional. So that being the case, the law is not constitutional. SCOTUS totally over looked the EPA being appointed by Nixon, and the constitution is very clear in regards to this. BTW lower courts are my favor and being insulted from someone on the left coast really carries no weight.

  4. #44
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    It's not ignorance, SCOTUS decision wasn't unanimous like I said earlier therefor there is questions in the decision. These states also brought a suit against the EPA which mean they had a case, unlike yourself I disagree with SCOTUS and I am not a blind follower such as you have shown to be. SCOTUS only won that case because there where those who are sympathetic to the EPA's cause. Constitutionally speaking I am talking about the law that passed but who decided to make law and enforce it, which was unconstitutional. So that being the case, the law is not constitutional. SCOTUS totally over looked the EPA being appointed by Nixon, and the constitution is very clear in regards to this. BTW lower courts are my favor and being insulted from someone on the left coast really carries no weight.
    It might have been a 5-4 ruling, but it clearly came from a Conservative, Bush Supreme Court, which means that it is going to be very tough to overturn. For those interested, here is a history of "Massachusetts v. EPA"
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #45
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I don't give a damn what Ari Fliecher said. That is NOT proof that there was a surplus!

    Factcheck.org and the Clinton Surplus

    Fiscal Year End Total Debt
    09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06
    09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86
    09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43
    09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
    09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
    09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
    09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
    09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

    Where is the surplus?



    With the debt never once going down in any given year during the Clinton administration, where is the surplus?

    The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

    Fiscal
    Year YearEnding National Debt Deficit
    FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
    FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
    FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
    FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
    FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
    FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
    FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
    FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
    FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion




    Like I said, it's been debunked. Quit saying it's true.
    Why would you define surplus as "reduction in total debt?" Surplus and deficit have to do with cash flows. It is undoubtedly true that the federal government spent less money than it brought in with tax revenues during the latter part of the 90's/early 2000's. What you are showing is that total liabilities went up, specifically liabilities to other programs within the government. Thank you for successfully confusing everyone.

  6. #46
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It might have been a 5-4 ruling, but it clearly came from a Conservative, Bush Supreme Court, which means that it is going to be very tough to overturn. For those interested, here is a history of "Massachusetts v. EPA"
    Yes I understand decision and I understand it's now law solely because of the make up of SCOTUS but, this doesn't make it constitutional because SCOTUS says so, I have no idea why we think this court is packed with Gods. If this was about abortion and we packed the courts with right wing judges the left would be screaming from every hill top. My point being is we should have consistency and we don't, why ...because the constitution is dead. Whatever cause on one side or the other supports, if the constitution gets in the way, we are willing to give up our rights so it may pass.

  7. #47
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Yes I understand decision and I understand it's now law solely because of the make up of SCOTUS but, this doesn't make it constitutional because SCOTUS says so, I have no idea why we think this court is packed with Gods. If this was about abortion and we packed the courts with right wing judges the left would be screaming from every hill top. My point being is we should have consistency and we don't, why ...because the constitution is dead. Whatever cause on one side or the other supports, if the constitution gets in the way, we are willing to give up our rights so it may pass.
    The FED is also law, but it isn't Constitutional either. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #48
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The FED is also law, but it isn't Constitutional either. LOL.
    You mean our leviathan which makes law from a central location...KAOS

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,888
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Why would you define surplus as "reduction in total debt?" Surplus and deficit have to do with cash flows. It is undoubtedly true that the federal government spent less money than it brought in with tax revenues during the latter part of the 90's/early 2000's. What you are showing is that total liabilities went up, specifically liabilities to other programs within the government. Thank you for successfully confusing everyone.
    Fact is that if debt goes up then nothing is achieved. Currently (or even during clintons time) debt needed to go down. It didn't. Now our great great great great grandchildren will still be paying for OUR expenses. Seperating the deficit from the debt is what is called a "rope a dope" in boxing terms. At least imo.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Shutdown avoided, White House, Congress cheer deal

    The Environmental Protection Agency is desperate for some friends in the Senate.

    Republicans have made unraveling the Obama administration’s climate rules one of their top priorities this year, and with the GOP-led House expected to easily pass a measure to handcuff EPA’s authority, the rules’ fate may be determined by how hard the agency’s champions in the Senate will fight.

    At least 56 senators — just four short of the 60 needed to overcome a filibuster — will most likely support measures to hamstring climate rules, and an additional eight votes may be in play this Congress, a POLITICO analysis shows.
    For EPA, climate tough in Senate - Robin Bravender - POLITICO.com

    they're led by senator rockefeller from west virginia

    do you know the great grandson of john david and nephew of nelson?

    senator rockefeller is one of the most progressive voices in reid's roundhouse, he was probably msnbc's most frequent senate guest during the obamacare wars, proud proponent of the public option (ron wyden from oregon was another strong advocate, while anthony i-wanna-waiver weiner was the most persistent pugilist for the po in pelosi's place)

    kent conrad from dakota, budget chair and right hand man to the gatekeeper, max baucus, was probably the democrat most responsible for killing the po

    fyi

    anyway, rockefeller has real umbrage against epa, it's all about the appalachian state

    bobby byrd staunchly opposed cap and trade, joe manchin put a bullet thru it

    a number of you don't know what you're talking about, which is fine

    have fun

    John Rockefeller takes aim at EPA - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

    Democrat seeks to force climate rule vote - Darren Goode - POLITICO.com

    John Rockefeller aims to block EPA rules - Lisa Lerer - POLITICO.com

    'Brown Dogs' complicate climate plan - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com

    others to watch are mccaskill, sherrod brown, conrad, tester, stabenow, klobuchar, casey, alaska's begich, baucus and ultra lib levin

    west virginian nick rahall, 18 term former chair of house resources, is the brown dog leader downstairs, but he's not really needed in boehner's bailiwick

    with all due respect, if you linked more you'd be forced to read, then you might know what's going on BEFORE you click and submit

    stay up
    Last edited by The Prof; 04-10-11 at 02:48 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •