Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 319

Thread: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

  1. #291
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense. "For me" --- "Abortion is an amoral topic"

    How do you not see/understand this?!?

    You need to understand that this is exactly what you are doing. Whether or not YOU see it as an amoral action doesn't make it amoral. You, are injecting a subjective judgement....a moral.
    For some people, taking Tylenol is an issue of morality. For most of us, taking Tylenol is an AMORAL action (it has no value of right or wrong).
    For some people, abortion is an issue of morality. For others, abortion is an amoral procedure (it has no value of right or wrong).

    This is so easy to understand. Something that is an issue of morality for you is NOT necessarily an issue of morality for others. See my example on taking Tylenol and how pretty much everyone thinks of it as an amoral act except for some hardcore Christians.

    Edit: Let me list some things that are amoral for most people: wearing skirts, taking Tylenol, dancing, drinking, getting tattoos, going to birthday parties, etc. And yet, though they are amoral for most of us, they are issues of morality for others. Include abortion on this list relative to me.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 04-10-11 at 08:09 PM.

  2. #292
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You have a point and yet your point in no way shows that abortion is the main agenda of Planned Parenthood - so we're back at square one.
    every medical instutition under the sun can give you a pap smear. It costs about $300, probably less if you're willing to pay cash. medicaid already subsidizes it for those as can't afford. as for PP's "birth control": Consumer Reports says they are the most substandard of all brands tested.. Not that an organization opened for the purpose of enacing a Eugenicist progam on the American populace would ever hand out substandard condoms in order to give people a false sense of security, of course....

    Planned Parenthoods' Reason For Being at this point (I would say they've probably weeded out most of the Eugenics nuts from their ranks) is Abortion. They are the largest and most reliable provider of it in the nation. Saying that PP isn't "about" abortion because they do other things is like saying that the KKK wasn't "about" torturing, intimidating, and murdering black people because they also went' after deadbeat dads.

    from the same link:

    ...Planned Parenthood operates nearly 850 centers nationwide. It distributes between seven and ten million condoms a year and performs more abortions than any other business.

    The controversy has led some to speculate that Planned Parenthood’s faulty condoms are likely to increase the abortion rate at Planned Parenthood centers.

    Planned Parenthood’s annual report does show an increase in abortions at its facilities. The number of surgical abortions at Planned Parenthood grew 6.1 percent, according to STOPP International, a group that monitors Planned Parenthood.

    "Increases in abortions, more money from taxpayers’ pockets, and bigger profit margins — all while clinics are closing down and donations are dwindling. That is the state of Planned Parenthood," said STOPP International Executive Director Jim Sedlak...

  3. #293
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    With any luck they will completely eliminate the federal Health Departments and return control (and budgeting) to the states where they belong. Ive got MY fingers crossed...
    But if they do this would it not hurt poor folks in poor states as you know those States are probably gonna cut funding in reguards to folks getting much needed healthcare?
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  4. #294
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    every medical instutition under the sun can give you a pap smear. It costs about $300, probably less if you're willing to pay cash. medicaid already subsidizes it for those as can't afford. as for PP's "birth control": Consumer Reports says they are the most substandard of all brands tested.. Not that an organization opened for the purpose of enacing a Eugenicist progam on the American populace would ever hand out substandard condoms in order to give people a false sense of security, of course....

    Planned Parenthoods' Reason For Being at this point (I would say they've probably weeded out most of the Eugenics nuts from their ranks) is Abortion. They are the largest and most reliable provider of it in the nation. Saying that PP isn't "about" abortion because they do other things is like saying that the KKK wasn't "about" torturing, intimidating, and murdering black people because they also went' after deadbeat dads.

    from the same link:
    I can see how someone would come to the conclusion that their main agenda is abortion particularly given its history, but the fact that they spend the majority of their time on prevention and other services does not lead me to make that conclusion. I agree that abortion is a huge part of their purpose, but I think their main agenda is to provide general women's health services, particularly in poor areas - abortion is part of those services. The fact that they exist as a safe place for women who want abortions to go without feeling judged and that they exist mostly in poor areas where unexpected pregnancies happens explains to me why they are one of the leading providers of abortion - I don't see the cause as backed by so much intention.

  5. #295
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    You'd be surprised at how many people would take them up on that offer. I've never heard of anyone getting an abortion because she couldn't find anyone who would absolutely love to adopt the baby.
    So a woman should be forced to carry a child simply because she may be able to find someone willing to adopt it? I do not think so
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  6. #296
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    There are a lot of children waiting to be adopted who will never be adopted that beg to differ....
    I feel they need to relax the crap you must go through to adopt-they are way too picky and make folks jump through hoops. Too much red tape and it cost too much too. Not saying they should not screen folks but they could be more lax about it.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  7. #297
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I feel they need to relax the crap you must go through to adopt-they are way too picky and make folks jump through hoops. Too much red tape and it cost too much too. Not saying they should not screen folks but they could be more lax about it.
    I agree with that. They are especially hard on single people who want to adopt, unmarried couples and gay couples. If they loosened those standards, I think a lot more kids would find loving homes.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The label "unwanted" for one. Dramatizing the existence of un-adopted kids as legitimization of abortion.

    You're appealing to emotion, buddy, face it.
    Still never heard a woman say she got an abortion because she couldn't find a loving family begging to adopt him. All she'd have to do is open up a newspaper or phone book. But no, abortion is easier. Just don't use the excuse that they are "unwanted". They are very much wanted, just not by the biological mother.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #299
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    So a woman should be forced to carry a child simply because she may be able to find someone willing to adopt it? I do not think so
    No, she is free to be selfish. I just don't like people using the excuse that the baby is "unwanted". Also, there is no "may" about it. She could find a loving home if she wanted to.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #300
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Obama vows to veto short-term bill(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I agree with that. They are especially hard on single people who want to adopt, unmarried couples and gay couples. If they loosened those standards, I think a lot more kids would find loving homes.
    There are also open adoptions where the mother can choose the parents, parent. I think it's a little riskier though, especially for the adoptive parents.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •