Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 340

Thread: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

  1. #181
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    if a police officer can't control an 8 yr old without pepper spray, i think maybe they need to go back for more training. this is ridiculous.
    the problem is, the bedwetting hand-wringers won't allow them to lay hands on the little bugger. they were in a no win situation. if they had rushed him and taken the makeshift shank away from him, there would be some crybaby complaining about that as well. obviously it was going to take some kind of physical force to get this kid under control. contrary to popular liberal belief, you can't always talk someone down.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    No, they don't. Any other questions?
    You got stats on that or are ya just saying it?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It can cause blindness.
    Really? I've not see anything credible or substantial detailing blindness associated with pepper spray outside of for a few hours. Point me in the direction of this information?

    Are there studies done on the pepper spray used and its affects on children? Is there a lower limit? If a 6 year old is throwing a tantrum, would you say it's best to use chemical agents on the child instead of picking them up? You kinda put numbers in this time, but are they real or did you imagine them?
    There's studies regarding the affects of pepper spray on humans in general. Are you suggesting something that is found to be almost harmless in the long term to an average person is likely to have significant side effects on a child? Are the eyes/nose between a child and adult that significantly different?

    No, I wouldn't suggest a 6 year old throwing a tantrum to be pepper sprayed. I wouldn't compare a 6 year old throwing a tantrum to a 8 year old tossing televisions, actively attempting to reach people who have fled him to continue to hurt them, and knowingly searching out weapons for incase they "come out".

    Every bit of information I've been able to find puts the chance for harm from pepper spray as astronomically low unless one has asthma. There's little reason to believe the near 0% sky rockets to some kind of significantly large number when children are involved.

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's a good question. Do you have a real answer for it? I don't know if this has been tested on children to see what statistics and possible side effects could be.
    Does a bullet affect a 3 month old differnetly than it does a 300 month old? I don't think a scientific study has ever been conduct, obviously we can't make an educated assumption due to that.

  5. #185
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    I certainly see your point, but personally, anyone threatening to stab me, regardless of age, is going to be met with a faceful of OC.
    I'm not defending the kid. He acted like a damned brat and there had to be intervention of some type. He got pepper sprayed, maybe it'll teach him a lesson. Though the way the mom is reacting to this, it doesn't really seem like the lesson will be enforced. I just don't completely buy the "this would cause less harm" argument since it seems that no one really knows the stats on it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #186
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Good thing that wasn't my kid. I wouldn't be posting at DP much for a few years, because I would be in jail for ****ing up some pussy ass cops.
    my kid wouldn't be breaking trim off the damn wall and trying to attack people with it. blame the frakin parents (or more likely parent) not the cops.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Does a bullet affect a 3 month old differnetly than it does a 300 month old? I don't think a scientific study has ever been conduct, obviously we can't make an educated assumption due to that.
    Yes, but chemicals certainly affect children and adults differently. All I asked was if you had any data to support the claim you continuously make. If it were purely physical, I could potentially buy your "educated assumption" (though even physical attacks can have differences between adults and children, but due to the leathality of firearms a bullet most likely would not have any significant difference in affect).
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #188
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not defending the kid. He acted like a damned brat and there had to be intervention of some type. He got pepper sprayed, maybe it'll teach him a lesson. Though the way the mom is reacting to this, it doesn't really seem like the lesson will be enforced. I just don't completely buy the "this would cause less harm" argument since it seems that no one really knows the stats on it.
    Hell, take the kid out of the equation.

    In adults, what's going to have more of a chance of causing harm without meaning to. Physically engaging someone or pepper spraying them?

    So now a cop is faced with a kid, with no detailed information regarding whether or not that understanding as to what is safer to do with an adult is different or not for a kid. So should the cop not act because he's not sure, acted on the best case assumption which is that while perhaps the kid's body may be slightly more prone to pepper spray its also likely to be slightly more prone to physical harm, or is the educated guess that the situation is 180 degrees with a kid and pepper spray would be the more dangerous route?

  9. #189
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's studies regarding the affects of pepper spray on humans in general. Are you suggesting something that is found to be almost harmless in the long term to an average person is likely to have significant side effects on a child? Are the eyes/nose between a child and adult that significantly different?
    The way chemicals can act on children and adults can indeed be different. Do you give adult strength medication to children? Why or why not? Also certain resilencies can be different with chemicals between adults and children. It's not a bullet, it's a chemical and there can be different degrees of effects between children and adults.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #190
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Misbehaving Boy, 8, Pepper Sprayed By Police

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Hell, take the kid out of the equation.

    In adults, what's going to have more of a chance of causing harm without meaning to. Physically engaging someone or pepper spraying them?

    So now a cop is faced with a kid, with no detailed information regarding whether or not that understanding as to what is safer to do with an adult is different or not for a kid. So should the cop not act because he's not sure, acted on the best case assumption which is that while perhaps the kid's body may be slightly more prone to pepper spray its also likely to be slightly more prone to physical harm, or is the educated guess that the situation is 180 degrees with a kid and pepper spray would be the more dangerous route?
    I'm not saying the cops shouldn't have acted. I'm not saying the kid didn't deserve it. I'm not saying they have a case for police brutality. I merely said I do not buy the "it was safer for him" argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •