Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mars View Post
    In other unrelated news, Gaddafi feels free to show himself in public without the worry he might eat a missile.

    President 0bama has got to change the direction in Libya or it will be lost.

    Gaddafi salutes supporters in Tripoli

    RABAT (Reuters) – Libyan state television Monday showed live footage of leader Muammar Gaddafi saluting supporters from a jeep that drove outside his fortified compound of Bab al-Aziziyah in Tripoli.

    A written newsflash read: "The brother leader among his supporters."

    Gaddafi briefly waved to his backers through the roof of his vehicle as bodyguards tried to prevent his supporters from mobbing him.

    His appearance came as one of his envoys shuttled around southern Europe in an effort to convince the international community a negotiated end to the fighting was possible.

    Gaddafi salutes supporters in Tripoli - Yahoo! News
    Why does he have to change direction in Libya? Why is Libya even our problem? Maybe we should quit pissing through money on these foreign wars and focus on our own problems.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Educator
    Ron Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Why does he have to change direction in Libya? Why is Libya even our problem? Maybe we should quit pissing through money on these foreign wars and focus on our own problems.
    Because 0bama made it our problem and established a policy that Gaddafi must leave.

    Should he backpeddle now it will be viewed as weakness and indecision.

    No one will take him seriously. That's a disaster for him and the country.
    The national security of the United States can never be left in the hands of liberals.

  3. #23
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Cote d'Ivoire is next lol.
    I say they go after niger for not having enough g's in their name.

    Seriously though. The US taking a back seat has been the plan from the start. France and Italy were the ones to lead this and thats fine by me, they can pay for it if they want. I don't think keeping promises will make the US look weak as well.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 04-05-11 at 07:49 PM.

  4. #24
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mars View Post
    0bama could change the direction if he decided to take decisive action. He could do that today.

    If the US accepts a situation where Gaddafi remains in power it will be a disaster for the President and the country.
    In my opinion, the only way "decisive action" that could be taken in order to actually take Gaddafi out would be to put boots on the ground. That would likely be a disaster as well.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mars View Post
    Because 0bama made it our problem and established a policy that Gaddafi must leave.

    Should he backpeddle now it will be viewed as weakness and indecision.

    No one will take him seriously. That's a disaster for him and the country.
    For the country? Yeah right. Nothing would happen to the US if we did the right thing and GTFO.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,595

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't see how many conservatives don't support this decision by Obama. Many people often complain that Europe is too dependent on US forces to keep the peace and do their dirty business while they sit back and do nothing, this is the equivalent of throwing a kid in the deep end so he learns how to swim. He's forcing them to live up their words with actual action, or at the very least that seems to be the plan.
    Most Conservatives opposed even ****ing with Libya...unless we were going to do it right.

    According to the link I posted, the Euros can't get the job done. At the end of the day, the U.S. is going to have to come back and clean up their ****ing mess...as usual.

  7. #27
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't see how many conservatives don't support this decision by Obama. Many people often complain that Europe is too dependent on US forces to keep the peace and do their dirty business while they sit back and do nothing, this is the equivalent of throwing a kid in the deep end so he learns how to swim. He's forcing them to live up their words with actual action, or at the very least that seems to be the plan.
    The damage is already done and it's irreversible

    Complete bungling by the amateurs in Washington. Now that the US belatedly rushed in to take charge of this stupid operation, we have obviously had a realization in DC that this whole thing wasn't such a good idea, and now we want out.

    Why piss off other arab countries when many of them are already against, the West/US? It's now just easier to hate Westerners and non-Muslims

  8. #28
    Educator
    Ron Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    For the country? Yeah right. Nothing would happen to the US if we did the right thing and GTFO.
    Our nation and the President will lose a great deal of credibility and much damage if the President's words are viewed as nothing but political rhetoric.

    It always amazes me that people think the words of the POTUS on issues like Libya don't matter. As if he can take them back whenever he wants.
    The national security of the United States can never be left in the hands of liberals.

  9. #29
    Educator
    Ron Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Most Conservatives opposed even ****ing with Libya...unless we were going to do it right.

    According to the link I posted, the Euros can't get the job done. At the end of the day, the U.S. is going to have to come back and clean up their ****ing mess...as usual.
    This is going south fast.

    The mistakes made early on may prove to be fatal to the intended goals in Libya.
    The national security of the United States can never be left in the hands of liberals.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. to pull strike jets from Libya mission

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mars View Post
    Our nation and the President will lose a great deal of credibility and much damage if the President's words are viewed as nothing but political rhetoric.

    It always amazes me that people think the words of the POTUS on issues like Libya don't matter. As if he can take them back whenever he wants.
    What's going to happen? Will people stop lending us money? Stop selling to us? Attack us? What's going to happen if we do the right thing and get out of there? We're spending way too much money on these offensive, foreign wars which are not our problems.

    Also, I think anyone who endorses this whole sale use of our military in affairs that are not our own should never ONCE bitch about the deficit and our spending since they are endorsing the largest waste of money our government engages in.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •