Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 132

Thread: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

  1. #1
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    I see this as a good thing but I also know that if cuts are too deep too fast it can have a negative impact on the economy.

    I also don't want to see individuals hurt by unreasonable cuts in some social programs.

    Don't get me wrong I still believe as I have said before that many of these programs do their very best to make people dependent on them and they kill individual incentive for people to do better.

    If the right balance can be maintained, I believe that the prospect of a balanced budget or even a serious attack on the deficit will have a positive affect and encourage people and that always has a positive affect on the Stock Market and therefore the economy and job market as a whole.

    We'll now see the reaction of the Left and hear how it can never happen. I would hope to not hear any of that until after honest open discussions have taken place.


    News from The Associated Press

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House Republican chairman who's writing a 2012 budget says the GOP will propose cutting more than $4 trillion over the next decade.

    The head of the House Budget Committee, Rep. Paul Ryan, says President Barack Obama is "punting on the budget and not doing a thing to prevent a debt crisis."

    Ryan tells "Fox News Sunday" that GOP budget-writers are looking at cutting $4 trillion-plus in spending over the next decade. That's more than even what the president's deficit commission recommended.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    This is a perfect example of how the government plays games with big numbers.

    Four trillion over the next decade is 400b per year on average, most of it no doubt put off to the end of the decade. 400b amounts to less than a third of the current deficit. That leaves 2/3, or somewhere in the neighborhood of a trillion dollar deficit per year, or another ten trillion added to the debt over the next decade for a grand total of over $24 trillion, or $240,000 for every taxpayer.

    Cutting four trillion sounds like a big deal, but it is a long way from a balanced budget.

    And that's just a proposed cut. The actual cut is likely to be a lot less.

    We need some real leadership who is willing to tell the American Voters the truth: This government is in deep doo doo, some real sacrifices are in order, and the only way out is real spending cuts along with tax increases.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #3
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I see this as a good thing but I also know that if cuts are too deep too fast it can have a negative impact on the economy.

    I also don't want to see individuals hurt by unreasonable cuts in some social programs.

    Don't get me wrong I still believe as I have said before that many of these programs do their very best to make people dependent on them and they kill individual incentive for people to do better.

    If the right balance can be maintained, I believe that the prospect of a balanced budget or even a serious attack on the deficit will have a positive affect and encourage people and that always has a positive affect on the Stock Market and therefore the economy and job market as a whole.

    We'll now see the reaction of the Left and hear how it can never happen. I would hope to not hear any of that until after honest open discussions have taken place.
    Yea, the GOP said it was going to balance the budget in Wisconsin too. So what about the budgetary items? They are still languishing in a Republican controlled Congress. What got passed? The part that attempts to bust the unions got shoved down the throats of the citizens of Wisconsin. But the budgetary items remain unpassed. Let me say that again - Unions busted down, budgetary items remain unpassed. However, Wisconsinites don't tolerate anything being shoved down their throats, unless it's cheese or beer. This ain't cheese or beer, but a law the vast majority of them do NOT support. Cheesehead Armageddon has now begun. Sucks to be a Republican in Wisconsin.

    So, in response to the OP, I will believe it when I see it. The GOP has lost all credibility with me. I just don't trust them.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I see this as a good thing but I also know that if cuts are too deep too fast it can have a negative impact on the economy.
    Over the past couple years we have all seen that massive increases in government spending do not have a positive impact on the economy......

    Unemployment Rate Since Obama's "Stimulus/Jobs bill"


    ....just the opposite.
    .
    .
    .
    .

  5. #5
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Over the past couple years we have all seen that massive increases in government spending do not have a positive impact on the economy......

    Unemployment Rate Since Obama's "Stimulus/Jobs bill"


    ....just the opposite.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    How to lie with statistics 101.... Obama was sworn in January 20, 2009. The stimulus was signed in late February 2009. There is no way the stimulus had any effect before May 2009, and then it would only be to slow the problem. (to put it another way, its idiotic to assume immediate impact on an economy). So, using this graph only, the stimulus shows to have some affect and perhaps has brought the crisis under-control.

    Of course, there is much behind the numbers, starting with the fact that unemployment is a lagging indicator of economic health. Moreover, the unemployment rate does not measure jobs not lost, because of the stimulus; nor does it measure, in all fairness, people that fall out of the calculation (underemployed and discouraged)

    That all said, I am of the camp that the stimulus was not big enough nor was it appropriately directed.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 04-03-11 at 03:52 PM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    How to lie with statistics 101.... .



    .......I do believe the Obama administration wrote the book.


    Obama Advisor: Stimulus Will Impact the Economy Immediately - The Note

    Obama Advisor: Stimulus Will Impact the Economy Immediately
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

  7. #7
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post



    .......I do believe the Obama administration wrote the book.


    Obama Advisor: Stimulus Will Impact the Economy Immediately - The Note

    Obama Advisor: Stimulus Will Impact the Economy Immediately
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Unemployment is a lagging indicator and the reason for the rise in un-employment is to be found in the previous administration and especially in the early 2000s and late 1990s with Republican Congress lead deregulation.
    PeteEU

  8. #8
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    This is a perfect example of how the government plays games with big numbers.

    Four trillion over the next decade is 400b per year on average, most of it no doubt put off to the end of the decade. 400b amounts to less than a third of the current deficit. That leaves 2/3, or somewhere in the neighborhood of a trillion dollar deficit per year, or another ten trillion added to the debt over the next decade for a grand total of over $24 trillion, or $240,000 for every taxpayer.

    Cutting four trillion sounds like a big deal, but it is a long way from a balanced budget.

    And that's just a proposed cut. The actual cut is likely to be a lot less.

    We need some real leadership who is willing to tell the American Voters the truth: This government is in deep doo doo, some real sacrifices are in order, and the only way out is real spending cuts along with tax increases.

    Yup! I have THOUSANDS of pennies! I must be rich! Im also going to pick a 10lb booger over 65 years.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  9. #9
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Attn2 Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Yup! I have THOUSANDS of pennies! I must be rich! Im also going to pick a 10lb booger over 65 years.
    Please don't share it with me, OK?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #10
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: GOP 2012 budget to make $4 trillion-plus in cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I see this as a good thing but I also know that if cuts are too deep too fast it can have a negative impact on the economy.

    I also don't want to see individuals hurt by unreasonable cuts in some social programs.

    Don't get me wrong I still believe as I have said before that many of these programs do their very best to make people dependent on them and they kill individual incentive for people to do better.

    If the right balance can be maintained, I believe that the prospect of a balanced budget or even a serious attack on the deficit will have a positive affect and encourage people and that always has a positive affect on the Stock Market and therefore the economy and job market as a whole.

    We'll now see the reaction of the Left and hear how it can never happen. I would hope to not hear any of that until after honest open discussions have taken place.
    this is a good start; but as Dittohead points out, it remains wildly insufficient.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •