Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 828

Thread: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

  1. #711
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    You obviously don't have very high expectations from Muslims.
    Not from Muslim terrorists, no. I think we all knew what their reaction would be, including Pastor Nutter. He pretty much said so himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Actually, it was an excellent analogy.
    So you say.

    Ditto...

    I take it that you believe Abortion Doctors are not that much different than Abortion Clinic Bombers since the Abortion Doctors know their action may enrage and cause individuals to bomb their buildings but they go forward with it anyways...right?
    Wrong. You'd be better off to take it that I don't think the issue of deliberately setting off Muslim nutcases has anything to do with abortion.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #712
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not from Muslim terrorists, no. I think we all knew what their reaction would be, including Pastor Nutter. He pretty much said so himself.
    I had no idea what they would do. Did you thiink Muslims would go on a killing spree? I certainly didn't. I suppose I was starting to think these people had some common sense and would rise up to denounce violence. Instead we have non Musliims defending Muslims, while they remain silent.

    Wrong. You'd be better off to take it that I don't think the issue of deliberately setting off Muslim nutcases has anything to do with abortion.
    OK , so you don't understand the analogy. Fair enough.

    But has it ever occurred to you that perhaps they are all nutcases? Certainly, if they buy what's written in the Koran, there would have to be a little twisted in their thinking, and the Shariah laws they support and want to spread elsewhere tend to support that idea.

  3. #713
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Seen
    09-11-13 @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    67

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    His actions caused harm to others. That’s fundamentally wrong in my book. He was asked by countless prominent world leaders, agencies, and figures to cease his actions. If his family, his church, and other things he cared about found themselves in a bad situation related to this I wouldn’t mind in the slightest.

    It seems that most of you that either oppose or support his decision are unwilling to consider both sides of the picture. There is not an easily painted picture to compare the situation to in the Western world vs. the Islamic world. It is a difference in culture that we cannot fathom. He committed one of the worst possible atrocities that the Islamic world could imagine. Wars have been waged for less offensive gestures.
    Last edited by bus; 04-06-11 at 04:55 PM.

  4. #714
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    His actions caused harm to others. Thatís fundamentally wrong in my book. He was asked by countless prominent world leaders, agencies, and figures to cease his actions. If his family, his church, and other things he cared about found themselves in a bad situation related to this I wouldnít mind in the slightest.

    It seems that most of you that either oppose or support his decision are unwilling to consider both sides of the picture. There is not an easily painted picture to compare the situation to in the Western world vs. the Islamic world. It is a difference in culture that we cannot fathom. He committed one of the worst possible atrocities that the Islamic world could imagine. Wars have been waged war for less offensive gestures.
    Seriously, How much of your opinion on the Islamic world is coming from your professors?

    Do you truly believe that they will play nice and tolerate us if we conceede to them and bend over backwards (or forwards in the form of a bow) and give them whatever they ask for in the name of tolerance?

  5. #715
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    His actions caused harm to others. Thatís fundamentally wrong in my book. He was asked by countless prominent world leaders, agencies, and figures to cease his actions. If his family, his church, and other things he cared about found themselves in a bad situation related to this I wouldnít mind in the slightest.

    It seems that most of you that either oppose or support his decision are unwilling to consider both sides of the picture. There is not an easily painted picture to compare the situation to in the Western world vs. the Islamic world. It is a difference in culture that we cannot fathom. He committed one of the worst possible atrocities that the Islamic world could imagine. Wars have been waged for less offensive gestures.
    1) America isn't part of the islamic world so I fail to see why we should design our rights around their custom

    2) If they are willing to fight wars over someone desecrating a book it sounds like the issue rests with them, and not the people that allow symbolic acts that harm no one

    3) I disagree with your assessment that Muslims can't know better, being that Muslims s in America didn't kill anyone in response

  6. #716
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    His actions caused harm to others. That’s fundamentally wrong in my book. He was asked by countless prominent world leaders, agencies, and figures to cease his actions. If his family, his church, and other things he cared about found themselves in a bad situation related to this I wouldn’t mind in the slightest.

    It seems that most of you that either oppose or support his decision are unwilling to consider both sides of the picture. There is not an easily painted picture to compare the situation to in the Western world vs. the Islamic world. It is a difference in culture that we cannot fathom. He committed one of the worst possible atrocities that the Islamic world could imagine. Wars have been waged war for less offensive gestures.
    It is his right to free opinion that is being supported, not necessary what he said or did. I don't agree with burning the flag either, and it would arouse anger in some quarters, I know, but I'd still support the idea because it is burning a symbol, and symbols are not people.

    these Muslims were killing real people, many real people. But they were not real people to these Muslims. They were symbols. To them they may as well have been books or flags but as long as they were symbolic of something that was enough for them..

    And, by the way, these Muslims in Afghanistan are largely ignorant and illiterate so someone had to explain to them what was said or done, and we can expect it was translated in the most inflammatory way, judging by their response. The question should then be asked as to who inflamed them and to what end? It certainly wasn't some obscure Florida Pastor.

  7. #717
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    [QUOTE=Grant;1059394274]

    I had no idea what they would do. Did you thiink Muslims would go on a killing spree? I certainly didn't. I suppose I was starting to think these people had some common sense and would rise up to denounce violence. Instead we have non Musliims defending Muslims, while they remain silent.
    Not Muslims. Jihadis.

    I expected them to go on a violent spree, just as everyone who had anything to do with Afganistan predicted. Reverend Nutter expected them to go on a violent spree. They were right. I was right. OK, I'm used to being right.



    [QUOTE=Grant;1059394274]
    OK , so you don't understand the analogy. Fair enough.

    But has it ever occurred to you that perhaps they are all nutcases? Certainly, if they buy what's written in the Koran, there would have to be a little twisted in their thinking, and the Shariah laws they support and want to spread elsewhere tend to support that idea.
    I understand the analogy. I don't think it's valid.

    No, not all Muslims are nutcases. Not all Christians are nutcases, either, but some are as this little incident illustrates.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #718
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post

    Not Muslims. Jihadis.
    Why do you make that claim and on what grounds? Has anyone but yourself denied those religious fanatics doing all the murdering were Muslims? What's your definition of "Jihad", because there seems to be quite a difference of opinion on these boards as to just what it does mean.

    I expected them to go on a violent spree, just as everyone who had anything to do with Afganistan predicted. Reverend Nutter expected them to go on a violent spree. They were right. I was right. OK, I'm used to being right.
    Did you have any idea where these riots and killings would take place? How many victims there would be? How long rioting would continue? Or was it just a feeling that Muslims would get a little crazy again?
    No, not all Muslims are nutcases. Not all Christians are nutcases, either, but some are as this little incident illustrates.
    And yet you can safely predict that Muslims would become fanatical murderers if anyone was to burn a Koran and I can safely predict that Christians would not do the same thing if a Bible was burned.

    So who are the real nutcases?

  9. #719
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Seen
    09-11-13 @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    67

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Seriously, How much of your opinion on the Islamic world is coming from your professors?
    I was probably gauging off the two years I spent in the Islamic world. I donít condone or support the actions that occurred in response. Iím stating that harsh realities occurred because of a moron here in the United States endangering lives abroad.

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Do you truly believe that they will play nice and tolerate us if we conceede to them and bend over backwards (or forwards in the form of a bow) and give them whatever they ask for in the name of tolerance?
    I donít want tolerance. I want abstinence from the whole region.

  10. #720
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    [QUOTE=Dittohead not!;1059394410]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I understand the analogy. I don't think it's valid.

    No, not all Muslims are nutcases. Not all Christians are nutcases, either, but some are as this little incident illustrates.
    On what basis are you claiming it invalid?

Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •