Page 43 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 828

Thread: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

  1. #421
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    They were not mere pawns or marionettes. They were not hapless defenders of their lives or their religion. Mr. Jones was a fool, but not the dangerous and bloody one, nor was he the one who told them to attack people and to murder them. Mr. Jones is the man that deserves a quick comment and then to be forgotten, while the men that so unjustifiably kill deserve the world's condemnation and be held as examples of men who violate God with unbelievable force.
    I agree that those who committed murder should be condemned. No doubt about it! But Pastor Jones isn't innocent in this. In my book, he's just as guilty because his actions led to the violence. Anyone who can't see this is just being foolish.

  2. #422
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Right. So did I say he didn't have the right? No I said you won't condemn him and all you will say is he has a right. You tried to put words in my mouth that I never said.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    again ""I think that in the end if you don/t like Muslims your argument is Jones has the right.""

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059387796

  3. #423
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    Why do you guys go to the extreme when discussing this in order to avoid condemning Jones? Nobody says what the Afghans did was right. That has nothing to do with being also able to say Jones was wrong. Jones was wrong for many reasons.
    Us guys are going to EXTREMES? I think extreme is murdering innocent people because some idiot burned a book. You don't think the Afghans reacted in an extreme manner over something so trivial?

    To me, abortion is much more heinous than burning a holybook. So if women were slaughtered everytime a dr. performed an abortion, would you blame the drs for the murders and tell them they should stop doing them? After all if they were warned beforehand shouldn't they just not do any?
    The fact is, what the radical muslims are doing is akin to blackmail. "Act as we say or we will kill people" Should we, as Americans put up with it?
    How far should we let it go?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  4. #424
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I agree that those who committed murder should be condemned. No doubt about it! But Pastor Jones isn't innocent in this. In my book, he's just as guilty because his actions led to the violence. Anyone who can't see this is just being foolish.
    I certainly do not believe the man is innocent as a human being and his flawed action here. However, I find him innocent in regards to the murder. In this regard, this man is no where near just as guilty. He is not even guilty. There was absolutely no reason why the retaliation needed to come in the form of violence or killing, especially people who have no relation to Jones. To me, any attempt to bridge the chasm is sick and twisted.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-03-11 at 06:21 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #425
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,582

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    then your standard of "inciting a riot" is speech that others strongly disagree with . And the idiocy of such doesn't need explaining ,
    No, my standard of inciting a riot is engaging in behavior that is known to incite riots. That is what the Reverend Nutter did, engaged in behavior that he was told would incite riots. Now, he is responsible for his decision, just as all of us need to be responsible for our actions.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #426
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,582

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Us guys are going to EXTREMES? I think extreme is murdering innocent people because some idiot burned a book. You don't think the Afghans reacted in an extreme manner over something so trivial?

    To me, abortion is much more heinous than burning a holybook. So if women were slaughtered everytime a dr. performed an abortion, would you blame the drs for the murders and tell them they should stop doing them? After all if they were warned beforehand shouldn't they just not do any?
    The fact is, what the radical muslims are doing is akin to blackmail. "Act as we say or we will kill people" Should we, as Americans put up with it?
    How far should we let it go?
    If an abortionist were to know that a bunch of nutters would riot and start cutting off heads in response to his performing an abortion, and if he were to perform said abortion, video it, post it on the internet, or leap and hoot, saying "Lookee here what I did! What are you going to do about it?" then yes, he'd be responsible for having incited said nutters to go on a killing spree. None of that would excuse the rioters, of course, but inciting a riot is still an irresponsible thing to do.

    Now, if Reverend Crazy were to have simply tossed an unwanted Koran into the fireplace, and not said anything about it, none of this would have happened, would it?
    Last edited by Dittohead not!; 04-03-11 at 06:24 PM.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #427
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    No, my standard of inciting a riot is engaging in behavior that is known to incite riots. That is what the Reverend Nutter did, engaged in behavior that he was told would incite riots. Now, he is responsible for his decision, just as all of us need to be responsible for our actions.
    great, then the civil rights movement would have been shutdown, because many marches lead to riots

  8. #428
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Abortion isn't the topic and yes they did go to extremes. That has nothing to do with my post does it? I said that people are going to extremes to cover for Jones. That is true. Condemn what Jones did. Go ahead. And don't add a "But"
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Us guys are going to EXTREMES? I think extreme is murdering innocent people because some idiot burned a book. You don't think the Afghans reacted in an extreme manner over something so trivial?

    To me, abortion is much more heinous than burning a holybook. So if women were slaughtered everytime a dr. performed an abortion, would you blame the drs for the murders and tell them they should stop doing them? After all if they were warned beforehand shouldn't they just not do any?
    The fact is, what the radical muslims are doing is akin to blackmail. "Act as we say or we will kill people" Should we, as Americans put up with it?
    How far should we let it go?

  9. #429
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Again cahnging the subject to cover for Jones. Lets see you condemn Jones without a "But"
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    great, then the civil rights movement would have been shutdown, because many marches lead to riots

  10. #430
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,582

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    great, then the civil rights movement would have been shutdown, because many marches lead to riots
    They also led to civil rights. What is burning the Koran going to lead to?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 43 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •