Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 828

Thread: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

  1. #221
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    True. However if everytime someone burned an American flag, 12 people would be killed in a horrific manner, wouldn't you say your right to burn the flag was at least seriously compromised? In my opinion, the right to burn the flag in the future isn't much of a right at all because it's doubtful anyone would exercise it.
    If there were a bunch of crazies who would riot and start cutting off heads as a result of burning a US flag, then doing so would be highly irresponsible, don't you think?

    There is a bunch of crazies who will riot and start cutting off heads when the Koran is burned. That is a fact that is well known, and was well known by Reverend Nutter and his followers. Burning the Koran, therefore, was highly irresponsible, and they should be called on it.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #222
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,149

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    True. However if everytime someone burned an American flag, 12 people would be killed in a horrific manner, wouldn't you say your right to burn the flag was at least seriously compromised? In my opinion, the right to burn the flag in the future isn't much of a right at all because it's doubtful anyone would exercise it.
    I guess I don't understand what you're trying to say. That we should all burn Korans to shove it in people's face?

    What most of us are saying is that it wasn't a nice thing to do. Especially for someone who claims to follow Jesus, and is in a position to teach people how to do so. It's not a very Christian way of acting, IMO.

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    I am pointing out that people like General Patraeus have condemned Jones. Why? Does the genearl not believe in his rights? Ofcourse not. The General lives in reality. He understands he has people to protect and a situation he is trying to control. Most people get that Jones is a pubixity seeker who doesn't care what sort of violence he stirs up. You like the rest of us should condemn his ignorance. It doesn't mean you are denying him his free speech.
    Just because a bunch of people agree on something that doesn't amount to them being right. Such is an appeal to popularity. And your above is an example of an appeal to authority
    Last edited by ManofthPeephole; 04-03-11 at 02:13 PM.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    Not to mention the right has tried to outlaw flag burning on several occasions so they must have felt pretty hurt by it.
    you're now making a Tu quoque argument. If it was moronic to outlaw types of free speech, it would remain moronic regardless if such actions are being taken up by the right or left

  5. #225
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Again, You spin everything in order to avoid condemning Jones without reservation. It makes one wonder again if you might want to join him in his Koran burning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    Just because a bunch of people agree on something that doesn't amount to them being right

  6. #226
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Its asinine that moderates such as yourself make excuses for these men when they are telling you why they did what they did.

    They did it because they are angry that their HOLYBOOK WAS DESECRATED. Is it that hard to admit that some (many?) religious people, especially fanatics, do crazy **** because of there beliefs?
    The radical Muslims want to kill all infidels. We had the cartoons and now we have the burning of the koran. Maybe they are willing to use any excuse. What next? Are they going to kill 12 innocent people everytime someone has a hog roast?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #227
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    The whole issue boils down to knowns and unknowns. If you know for a fact that your action will incite someone to violence, unless there is a larger purpose to your actions in which you think the benefits of your actions will outweigh that violence, part of the responsibility lies with you.

    If you meet a sleeping grizzly in the forest, you are entirely within your rights to poke it with a stick. But don't expect to be able to sue the bear for damages when he mauls you.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    That is an incredibly literalist interpretaton of the yelling fire analogy. Much like the thinking behind the pastor's triggering of events.
    We have several past instances of both real and alleged Koran abuse and the extreme, often lethal reaction to those events on the part of some ill-educated natives. Knowing this, the pastor chose to set the pavlovian bell ringing, and the kindest interpretation of his action could be said to be that he possibly got a more extreme reaction than he expected.

    such an argument can be used to silence speech and actions around any controversial matter, from civil rights to abortion

  9. #229
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Tell that to the right not me. I do understand morons. I watch them obviscate all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    you're now making a Tu quoque argument. If it was moronic to outlaw types of free speech, it would remain moronic regardless if such actions are being taken up by the right or left

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    I love that when you are running out of running room with your arguments you turn to the old "Well ya but what about those other guys". Civil rights have nothing at all to do with this subject. It's simply a way to obscure the issue. One issue at a time would be reasonable I would think.
    I'm sorry if you can't understand logical consistency. But then again, you're the guy suggesting only "muslim haters" would support civil rights

Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •