Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 828

Thread: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    I think that in the end if you don/t like Muslims your argument is Jones has the right.
    Yes, the only way anyone would value civil rights is if they hated muslims. Awesome argument, champ

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    If you believe in freedom of religion your argument is why go around disrespect peoples religion?
    because freedom of religion also entails the freedom to be critical of them


    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    My view is I don't like islamists but I can differentiate between them and average practicing Muslims. Some just group them all together and make excuses for doing so.
    I'm not sure how you arrive at the position "respecting civil rights is tantamount to thinking all muslims are jihadists"

  2. #182
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Of course, because no one EVER used justification other than religion to commit atrocities.

    This was just another case of zealots provoking zealots. Without religion, both sides still would've found some reason to justify their moronic behavior.
    Its asinine that moderates such as yourself make excuses for these men when they are telling you why they did what they did.

    They did it because they are angry that their HOLYBOOK WAS DESECRATED. Is it that hard to admit that some (many?) religious people, especially fanatics, do crazy **** because of there beliefs?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  3. #183
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    I think that in the end if you don/t like Muslims your argument is Jones has the right.
    This is totally wrong. I'm a Christian, but I still acknowledge that people have the right to burn the Bible in this country as a form of speech.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #184
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    because freedom of religion also entails the freedom to be critical of them
    No it doesn't, that comes under freedom of speech.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #185
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Interfering with military operations in a war zone.
    He isn't in a war zone...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #186
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    It is only a certain faction that feel this way. They are in the minority. Unfortunately "the squeaky wheel" still gets the oil. I am just an outspoken person; most people think the rev is a nut case, but they see it as a given and don't have an ax to grind. The ones who disagree with that and secretly feel he vindicates their hostility, are usually loud mouths with a YouTube account.
    Frankly the guy should never have been given media attention. But if he finagled his way to stardom on his own, the media is still complicit for not telling the truth on the air that the man was endangering lives. Americans are individuals and I believe most are moral.
    This new wave of propaganda has swept up some folks who are probably a little loose in the brain department and others who are morbidly uneducated.
    Totally agree with that statement. I don't know how much media attention he got in the U.S. However, Karzai may have stoked the flames according to this AP Article.

    President Hamid Karzai expressed regret for the 20 protest deaths, but he also further stoked possible anti-foreign sentiment by again demanding that the United States and United Nations bring to justice the pastor of the Dove Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, where the Quran was burned March 20. Many Afghans did not know about the Quran-burning until Karzai condemned it four days after it happened.
    This begs the question? If you think the "pastor' has culpubality in the barbaric behavior of these people in Afghanistan, doesn't Karzai as apparently most Afghans didn't even know about this until be brought it to light in the Central Asian country...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #187
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    But see nobody ever I mean ever question his right. But it seems like the fall back position. The question I asked several times was was it right to do? Isit right to condemn a religion by burning their holy book. Not all Muslims are Islamists. So regardless Of our rights was Jones right to condemn all Muslims by his action. I say no
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    This is totally wrong. I'm a Christian, but I still acknowledge that people have the right to burn the Bible in this country as a form of speech.

  8. #188
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    1) i have not condoned his bigotry

    2) I support the constitution- I have taken two oaths to defend it

    3) The people who did the killing are scum and impalement would be the proper sentence

    4) towelterrorists will kill with no provocation at all-and this has been proven thousands of times
    So actually, the only thing we disagree about is whether or not it was forseeable.

    I don't support any changes to the laws or Constitution with regards to his right to burn the Koran. All I'm saying is that just because you have the legal right to be an asshole, it doesn't mean you should be.

    Inherent in these rights is the right to not excercise them. Freedom of Religion includes the right to be an atheist. The Right to Bear Arms includes the right to not own any weapons at all. Sometimes it's smarter not to, and this was probably one of those times.

  9. #189
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    But see nobody ever I mean ever question his right. But it seems like the fall back position. The question I asked several times was was it right to do? Isit right to condemn a religion by burning their holy book. Not all Muslims are Islamists. So regardless Of our rights was Jones right to condemn all Muslims by his action. I say no
    Have you not been reading this thread? Anyone here who calls for Jones to be sued, extradited to Afgahnistan, stoned, hands cut off or whatever, is not only questioning his right to free speech, they're saying he doesn't have it. Look, I totally agree that just because something is a right, doesn't mean it is right, but I'd rather live in a country where there's free speech even if it's speech that offends me.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    The one thing in this debate that just doesn't feel right to me is the feeling I'm getting that people seem to believe that the action of burning books is somehow a part of the sacred convenant of the freedom of expression or freedom of religion. There is nothing sacrosanct in upholding a behaviour that, of itself, represents the opposite of the freedom of expression.

    I am not advocating that it should be made illegal, but that the reaction to it of the rest of society should be one of deep disapproval and enhanced vigilance to ensure that those carrying out such book-burnings realise that the wider community understands perfectly well the route they might be planning to take us down.

    Book burning is a deeply authoritarian action, one that has been a hallmark of the most despotic regimes in history, in fact one of the actions of the very people whose values these book-burners claim to despise. You don't show your disapproval of fascistic behaviour by adopting the same behaviour yourself.

    It's been quoted many times on DP, but to remind you:
    “That was mere foreplay. Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings.” - Heinrich Heine, Almansor (1821)
    Last edited by Andalublue; 04-03-11 at 11:47 AM.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •