Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 828

Thread: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

  1. #111
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    By the same token I hope many Christian leaders are speaking out against the rev here. He should imo be charged along with the rioters. That's what would happen if the world were still sane.
    On what charge? He did a perfectly legal act of free speech. Funny how some will defend the burning of the U.S. flag as free speech, but the burning of a book in protest is not??? He didn't kill anyone -- he burned a book. The onus is on those who killed people. As a Catholic, if someone burned a Bible, I would be very displeased about it, and I would condemn the action, however, I would not contemplate killing even the person involved, much less someone who had nothing to do with it. I am sure Church leaders would condemn anyone who did. The lengths to which some will defend radicals in the Islamic faith is sad. Frankly, Afghanistan would be better of had it remained Buddhist and the Muslims never came and conquered the region more than a thousand years ago...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #112
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    No one in america would get upset if I went and burned a couple hundred bibles?
    I mean, I didn't do anything wrong, right?
    Upset, Yes! Go into a murderous rage? I think not.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #113
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    You have made the same points I did. It is amazing to me how many people want to give Jones a pass when it is clear that he knew he was going to cause nothing but trouble.

    What he did and how he talks is less than Christian. I would like to know where he was educated. because it doesn't seem to have been with traditional Christian beliefs.
    I don't see people here defending his actions. They are dispicable. However, they are also protected by the basic laws and values of the United States, one that guarantees the freedom of speech for all of its citizens and legal residents. He didn't kill a soul, it was the extremists in Central Asia who did that...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    It does when the burner is aware of the consequences.
    again, you can't hold people accountable for the irrational actions of others. If some guy says he's going to go on random shooting sprees everytime he sees an interracial couple, then you deal with the guy going on a shooting spree, not outlaw interracial couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    You are arguing with yourself, I think. thinking out loud maybe? I did not make those connections.
    Yes you did, when you compared it to yelling fire in a theater. The reason you can't yell fire in a theater is because people are forced to react, due to the circumstances

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Just fyi: According to his video of the burning, he did it because he was convicting the Koran itself of crimes including rape and murder.
    and such would have no bearing on my point

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    His is not a plain old free speech issue.
    indeed it is

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    There are extenuating circumstances. He is culpable. Whether our government chooses to take action or not is probably a matter of diplomacy. However he will not be the first criminal to "get away with it" due to politics.
    lol, yes, just as much as civil rights activists were culpable in the violence leveled against them by the klan, and various other racists.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Upset, Yes! Go into a murderous rage? I think not.
    Hell, I'll provide the lighter fluid

  6. #116
    User Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    03-11-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    122

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    On what charge? He did a perfectly legal act of free speech. Funny how some will defend the burning of the U.S. flag as free speech, but the burning of a book in protest is not??? He didn't kill anyone -- he burned a book. The onus is on those who killed people. As a Catholic, if someone burned a Bible, I would be very displeased about it, and I would condemn the action, however, I would not contemplate killing even the person involved, much less someone who had nothing to do with it. I am sure Church leaders would condemn anyone who did. The lengths to which some will defend radicals in the Islamic faith is sad. Frankly, Afghanistan would be better of had it remained Buddhist and the Muslims never came and conquered the region more than a thousand years ago...
    A case could be made that he intentionally endangered our Americans in the region in which we are engaged in a war and he was warned this would be the case.

  7. #117
    User Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    03-11-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    122

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    again, you can't hold people accountable for the irrational actions of others. If some guy says he's going to go on random shooting sprees everytime he sees an interracial couple, then you deal with the guy going on a shooting spree, not outlaw interracial couples



    Yes you did, when you compared it to yelling fire in a theater. The reason you can't yell fire in a theater is because people are forced to react, due to the circumstances



    and such would have no bearing on my point



    indeed it is



    lol, yes, just as much as civil rights activists were culpable in the violence leveled against them by the klan, and various other racists.
    Nice try trying to tie this to sentiment about race. E for effort.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Nice try trying to tie this to sentiment about race. E for effort.
    No, I am pointing to the logical consequences of your argument.

  9. #119
    User Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    03-11-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    122

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    No, I am pointing to the logical consequences of your argument.
    If you are trying to make a legitimate argument, I apologize. I stated my case that he is culpable. I think it is sound.

  10. #120
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Of course he had the right. That's irrelevant, though, as to whether he showed good judgment in exercising that right. He didn't.

    The discussion is twofold. The insanity and barbarism of the Muslim extremists who committed the murders and the irresponsibility of Jones for exercising his rights in an irresponsible way. Both statements are accurate.
    Couldn't the same argument be made about the Ground Zero mosque? Rauf has a right to build it, but is he showing good judgment in exercising his right?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •