Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 828

Thread: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

  1. #101
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and you would lose that suit and hopefully the judge would hit you with sanctions pursuant to civil rule 11.

    if Christians killed people everytime the jihadist scum insulted the Christian faith or the west we would have a 100 million dead muslims
    You make a excellent point here, and your probably right and thank God we are not of the belief of living by the sword.

  2. #102
    User Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    03-11-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    122

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    It doesn't matter, people still reacted in some extreme ways to what he said. And according tho your above argument, that makes him culpable.
    Does matter. Check the word "intentional".
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I guess you didn't read what I have posted

    I think that Pastor is a asshole and a bigot but he is not responsible for a bunch of jihadist scum sucking slugs killing people
    He is as responsible as a guy who shouts fire in a crowded theater. He intentionally caused the riot therefore should be tried as should the rioters. He also put American lives at risk in time of war after being told such actions would cause death. As I stated earlier the fact he may be a fool doesn't relieve him of responsibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Occasionally one has the power to do something very bad and the ability to avoid unwanted repercussions; and be a pastor at the same time. Some people look for those opportunities. Others defend their freedom to do it. Others think they will go to heaven for supporting the pastor.

    Note that those that died as a result were not of the pastors flock. What do you think the pastor wanted to happen? Who is the pastor really?
    Very interesting question.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Does matter. Check the word "intentional".

    He is as responsible as a guy who shouts fire in a crowded theater. He intentionally caused the riot therefore should be tried as should the rioters. He also put American lives at risk in time of war after being told such actions would cause death. As I stated earlier the fact he may be a fool doesn't relieve him of responsibility.



    Very interesting question.
    First off, yelling fire in a crowded theater requires immediate action, because if the fire is real, any deliberation could cost you your life. Such an existential threat doesn't exist in burning the Quran. Secondly, there is nothing about burning a Quran that forces people to riot or cause violence (no muslim in the US did any such thing). Secondly, he burnt the Quran to protest Islam and Sharia law. If you are going to hold such as the standard to causing "intentional" violence, and for filing charges, then all one needs to do to shut down speech, of anyone, is to threaten violence
    Last edited by ManofthPeephole; 04-03-11 at 12:06 AM.

  4. #104
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Does matter. Check the word "intentional".

    He is as responsible as a guy who shouts fire in a crowded theater. He intentionally caused the riot therefore should be tried as should the rioters. He also put American lives at risk in time of war after being told such actions would cause death. As I stated earlier the fact he may be a fool doesn't relieve him of responsibility.



    Very interesting question.
    that is moronic

    first of all your analogy is cretinous . its like me shouting fire in a theater in cincinnati and a bunch of morons stampede in a theater in Yemen because their leader claimed someone in america shouted fire

    secondly, it was not forseeable that towelterrorists in yeman would go beserk. it is foreseeable people would panic in a theater if someone yelled fire



  5. #105
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Does matter. Check the word "intentional".

    He is as responsible as a guy who shouts fire in a crowded theater. He intentionally caused the riot therefore should be tried as should the rioters. He also put American lives at risk in time of war after being told such actions would cause death. As I stated earlier the fact he may be a fool doesn't relieve him of responsibility.



    Very interesting question.
    You have made the same points I did. It is amazing to me how many people want to give Jones a pass when it is clear that he knew he was going to cause nothing but trouble.

    What he did and how he talks is less than Christian. I would like to know where he was educated. because it doesn't seem to have been with traditional Christian beliefs.

  6. #106
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    the person who didn't kill anyone?
    Yup, that is what I essentially said. But, who is he really? I think he got the result he wanted, donít you?

  7. #107
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post

    secondly, it was not forseeable that towelterrorists in yeman would go beserk. it is foreseeable people would panic in a theater if someone yelled fire
    Wasn't forseeable? ****, they go berserk when the vending machine takes their quarter (metaphorically speaking of course). I saw it coming a mile away.

    The thing is this -- he had the right to burn the Koran under the First Amendment, no doubt about it. Legal right and good idea are not the same thing, however. I'd be the last one to say everybody needs to go around being politically correct, but I don't think you have to act like an asshole. Especially when you purport to follow Jesus.

  8. #108
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Wasn't forseeable? ****, they go berserk when the vending machine takes their quarter (metaphorically speaking of course). I saw it coming a mile away.

    The thing is this -- he had the right to burn the Koran under the First Amendment, no doubt about it. Legal right and good idea are not the same thing, however. I'd be the last one to say everybody needs to go around being politically correct, but I don't think you have to act like an asshole. Especially when you purport to follow Jesus.
    1) i have not condoned his bigotry

    2) I support the constitution- I have taken two oaths to defend it

    3) The people who did the killing are scum and impalement would be the proper sentence

    4) towelterrorists will kill with no provocation at all-and this has been proven thousands of times



  9. #109
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    The restrictions on speech are, in my opinion, for the most part unconstitutional. A religious leader should not have to give up his right of free speech when he is ordained.

  10. #110
    User Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    03-11-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    122

    Re: Pastor who burned Koran demands retribution

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    First off, yelling fire in a crowded theater requires immediate action, because if the fire is real, any deliberation could cost you your life. Such an existential threat doesn't exist in burning the Quran.
    It does when the burner is aware of the consequences.
    Secondly, there is nothing about burning a Quran that forces people to riot or cause violence (no muslim in the US did any such thing).
    You are arguing with yourself, I think. thinking out loud maybe? I did not make those connections.
    Secondly, he burnt the Quran to protest Islam and Sharia law.
    Just fyi: According to his video of the burning, he did it because he was convicting the Koran itself of crimes including rape and murder.
    If you are going to hold such as the standard to causing "intentional" violence, and for filing charges, then all one needs to do to shut down speech, of anyone, is to threaten violence
    His is not a plain old free speech issue. There are extenuating circumstances. He is culpable. Whether our government chooses to take action or not is probably a matter of diplomacy. However he will not be the first criminal to "get away with it" due to politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is moronic

    first of all your analogy is cretinous . its like me shouting fire in a theater in cincinnati and a bunch of morons stampede in a theater in Yemen because their leader claimed someone in america shouted fire
    No it is like you getting on national news at half time and shouting "There's a fire in Yemen!"
    secondly, it was not forseeable that towelterrorists in yeman would go beserk. it is foreseeable people would panic in a theater if someone yelled fire
    Yes it was foreseeable as evidenced by General Petraeus foreseeing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    You have made the same points I did. It is amazing to me how many people want to give Jones a pass when it is clear that he knew he was going to cause nothing but trouble.

    What he did and how he talks is less than Christian. I would like to know where he was educated. because it doesn't seem to have been with traditional Christian beliefs.
    My Internet connection goes down in the evening so it slowed my youtube video, but from the first half of his demonstration he was not quoting any scripture that I could tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The restrictions on speech are, in my opinion, for the most part unconstitutional. A religious leader should not have to give up his right of free speech when he is ordained.
    If it wasn't for him being forewarned and us being in a war there, I would agree completely.

Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •