Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 210

Thread: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What you don't seem to understand is that I haven't transferred responsibility. I hold both parties responsible for their actions and the effects of their actions. The reason I have focused on the book burner is because that is the part 1. People keep harping on. 2. Many people are ignoring.

    There are people who are crazy enough to kill others because someone has burned a book - we've known this for a long time. Therefore, it is stupid to go ahead and burn the book they hold in highest esteem when you know that such actions piss off such crazy murderous people.

    You are not acknowledging that it is unwise and dangerous to taunt crazy terrorists and murderers - which is exactly what burning a Koran is doing.

    Acknowledging that it is stupid and dangerous to taunt murderers =/= being an apologist.

    So all those people the Klan murdered, over the years, because they were critical of the organization, or disrespecting it's wishes, were asking for it?
    Last edited by ManofthPeephole; 04-02-11 at 04:08 PM.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    So all those people the Klan murdered, over the years, because they were critical of the organization, or disrespecting it's wishes, were asking for it?
    When did I talk about the Klan?

    I'll repeat my claim: It is stupid and dangerous to mock/taunt murderers and terrorists who we already know are capable of killing people for such actions. Do you disagree?

  3. #63
    Student Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 02:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    156

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    This guy Terry Jones is a moron. What bugs me is that he won't even take responsability for anything. He wanted to start trouble or he wouldn't have done it and now he has. This isn't an excuse for those who did the killing but to me it's like tweeking an insane person until they go off. It wasn't needed. But it's all about him and him getting his way. I would suggest he go to Afghanistan the next time he wants to pull this stunt and take the heat himself.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    When did I talk about the Klan?

    I'll repeat my claim: It is stupid and dangerous to mock/taunt murderers and terrorists who we already know are capable of killing people for such actions. Do you disagree?
    right, like the klan. So all those people who were killed by the klan died from their own stupidity, according to you

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    earlier you wrote "If morons in this country didn't walk around burning Korans and proving Islamic extremists right (who claim that the U.S. hates Muslims), some of this stuff could be avoided. "

    I am pointing out "if swarthy people could just keep their hands off the women racists identify as their own, and proving the racists right, some of this stuff could be avoided. "

    The point is, that no one need to respect the holy objects of another, and that such a demand points to issues with the offended (because the demand is completely unreasonable to begin with). Also, such acts of disrespect, to a chunk of wood pulp, could never justify murdering random people, that had absolutely nothing to do with the act in question
    Two different situations.
    1. If morons didn't walk around burning Korans, SOME of this stuff COULD be avoided. This is true.
    2. The point is - it's stupid and dangerous to mock/taunt proven murderers and terrorists. It would be just as stupid for an interracial couple to mock proven KKK murderers. Being an interracial couple is not comparable to burning a Koran.

    Interracial couple = being American - some violence towards both is motivated just by being who you are
    Interracial couple having sex in front of KKK members = Burning a Koran for radical Muslims to see - some violence towards both is motivated by provocation (provoking is stupid)

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    right, like the klan. So all those people who were killed by the klan died from their own stupidity, according to you
    Obviously not. If an interracial couple had sex in front of Klan members on purpose then their actions are comparable to Americans burning the Koran for radical Muslims to see. Just being who you are is not stupid and dangerous - provoking people is stupid and dangerous.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Two different situations.
    1. If morons didn't walk around burning Korans, SOME of this stuff COULD be avoided. This is true.
    right, like mixed race couples upsetting racists and causing violence against themselves. Sure they have a right, but that doesn't mena they should do it, especially if it's going to upset the violent racists, right?


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    2. The point is - it's stupid and dangerous to mock/taunt proven murderers and terrorists. It would be just as stupid for an interracial couple to mock proven KKK murderers. Being an interracial couple is not comparable to burning a Koran.
    Both are completely reasonable and legal rights that some find inherently offensive. But what you're suggesting is that people curb reasonable rights, because the reaction of the unreasonable

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Interracial couple = being American - some violence towards both is motivated just by being who you are
    Interracial couple having sex in front of KKK members = Burning a Koran for radical Muslims to see - some violence towards both is motivated by provocation (provoking is stupid)
    the right to be critical of reigion = being american.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Obviously not. If an interracial couple had sex in front of Klan members on purpose then their actions are comparable to Americans burning the Koran for radical Muslims to see. Just being who you are is not stupid and dangerous - provoking people is stupid and dangerous.
    interracial couples simply existing is seen as provocative to racists (and in your mind such would make them at fault for any violence directed at them). They don't need to have sex in front of them for that. Also, the man burned the Quran in the US, not in front of the angry mob that killed random people

    PS also your explanation blames anyone who was critical of the klan for the violence that organization leveled at them. Since, in your words, they were taunting the klan
    Last edited by ManofthPeephole; 04-02-11 at 04:29 PM.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    right, like mixed race couples upsetting racists and causing violence against themselves. Sure they have a right, but that doesn't mena they should do it, especially if it's going to upset the violent racists, right?

    Both are completely reasonable and legal rights that some find inherently offensive. But what you're suggesting is that people curb reasonable rights, because the reaction of the unreasonable

    the right to be critical of reigion = being american.
    I never said nor implied that rights should be taken away. In fact, I have stated the opposite. In other words, we both agree that people have the right to free speech. I have criticized people's stupid and dangerous use of these rights. I have ONLY called into question the consequences of taunting terrorists and murderers. Your straw man has nothing to do with my argument.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 8 killed in protest at UN office in Northern Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I never said nor implied that rights should be taken away. In fact, I have stated the opposite. In other words, we both agree that people have the right to free speech.
    No, you implied that people should self censor, due to the possible reaction of groups like the klan, or radical islamists


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I have criticized people's stupid and dangerous use of these rights.
    right, like all those stupid people who were critical of the klan


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I have ONLY called into question the consequences of taunting terrorists and murderers. Your straw man has nothing to do with my argument.
    right like all those "stupid" people who taunted the klan. And it isn't a straw man, it's a direct application of your, erm, "logic". According to you, they were at fault for not respecting the unreasonable demands of the klan. To you, the people who were murdered by the Klan were at fault for a adopting a principled position

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •