Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93

Thread: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    From what I understand though, these union members are boycotting businesses that are neutral and simply not showing support either way for either side. They are trying to gain support by telling these businesses to either support them or suffer business loss due to their boycott. They are essentially being cruel and trying to harass companies into supporting them. These are bully/thug tactics to me.
    To be fair, if I were them, I wouldn't target neutral businesses, so I do view that action as questionable. Nonetheless, it's hard for me to call it bullying because while the wording/action is aggressive, I can understand why union members wouldn't want to give money to a "neutral" business. Even actual neutrality hurts their interests since it means one less group on their side and in all likelihood, the owners of these businesses will vote and silence in public could be approval of Walker in the voting booth. To me, this just seems like the regular game of politics.

    That said, if I were a business owner, I would likely keep my business neutral in politics and leave political decisions for my private life - so I'm not to fond of this tactic since I would also be targeted even though I support unions/collective bargaining.

  2. #52
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am trying to understand your position. You say that saying "support our issue or we boycott" is not the same thing as saying "We don't like your position on an issue so we am boycotting". The reality is they are exactly the same thing.
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it myself. People should be allowed to desire an ethical stance from a business as a condition of doing business. This is in fact something I have seen many conservatives espouse with the idea of voting with dollars and all that.

    My only concern is that if the union isn't careful they could garner some bad publicity.

  3. #53
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am trying to understand your position. You say that saying "support our issue or we boycott" is not the same thing as saying "We don't like your position on an issue so we am boycotting". The reality is they are exactly the same thing.


    one is passive, the other is a shake down. It's pretty clear to me.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #54
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    one is passive, the other is a shake down. It's pretty clear to me.
    Neither is passive. Both are an attempt to force action by threatening profits.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #55
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Neither is passive. Both are an attempt to force action by threatening profits.



    well we'll just leave it as you support thuggish shakedown methods as a respectable means of boycott...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #56
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    well we'll just leave it as you support thuggish shakedown methods as a respectable means of boycott...
    LoLz. Again, I don't base my support on an action based on who does it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #57
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    LoLz. Again, I don't base my support on an action based on who does it.

    We're in my quote did I say you did? still on with this strawman?


    You are trying to make more out of this than there is. Please if you are going to respond to me, respond to what I said, not what you wish I said.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #58
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    well we'll just leave it as you support thuggish shakedown methods as a respectable means of boycott...
    Whats the difference? Both are a case of customers wanting more out of their suppliers than just a service or product, which is valid.

  9. #59
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Whats the difference? Both are a case of customers wanting more out of their suppliers than just a service or product, which is valid.


    It's a shake down tactic, just like the mob asking a business for "protection money".
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Union threatens boycott of any business that doesn't show support

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am trying to understand your position. You say that saying "support our issue or we boycott" is not the same thing as saying "We don't like your position on an issue so we am boycotting". The reality is they are exactly the same thing.
    I'll use an analogy. Say there is a bully that goes over to a kid and tells that kid to do something, and if he didn't do it the bully was going to beat him up. Say there is a second bully, however this bully decides to beat up a kid because of something the kid did (stealing from him, making fun, etc). These union supporters are like the first bully. They are trying to manipulate and coerce neutral entities into benefiting them. Other protests are like the 2nd bully who does something based on an action by another company. Both have the goal to cause the entity being protested or "bullied" to do something. However, the first case is different from the second. These unions are trying to force businesses to support them or suffer. It would be different if they were protesting businesses that had open support for Gov Walker and were against the unions. They are trying to gain support through manipulation, not trying to stop opposition through boycotts and protest.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •