Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 182

Thread: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

  1. #81
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Well...geeee...except that nobody can tell us what the "next" mode will be
    Why is that necessary, 40 years in advance?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 03-29-11 at 05:27 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #82
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I'm pretty sure they clarified that it would be electric cars and high-speed rails. At least for now. What's the problem with that?
    High speed rails inside cities ???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #83
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    High speed rails inside cities ???
    High-speed rails would obviously be for long-distance travel. Many of them have trams or subways for local travel, and again, I thought it was clarified that use of electric cars would be fine as well (but correct me if I am wrong). Basically, they are saying:

    1) We want to phase out oil use as much as possible.
    2) Oh wait, that's all they were saying.

    What's wrong with that?
    Last edited by whysoserious; 03-29-11 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I definitely butchered the word phase
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #84
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    You fail to understand that this is exactly what the greenies want...and I am free to voice my opinion in any manner I choose

    In this case common sense prevailed.....and common sense has NEVER been a strong suit of any greenie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    It always pays to double check a story before posting it and then posturing and lecturing others...

    Firstly the plan bny those who back it is to cut down on conventional petrol and diesel engined vehicles only... secondly the UK rejected the plan yesterday and thirdly it's just a proposal at the moment, it's not a law and it's not being imposed on anyone.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  5. #85
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Ahh...I see your logic, just because the technology doesn't exist at the moment....it MUST exist in the future....sure thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why is that necessary, 40 years in advance?
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  6. #86
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Ahh...I see your logic, just because the technology doesn't exist at the moment....it MUST exist in the future....sure thing.
    Electric cars don't exist?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #87
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Failing at what? And how are we doing better? Last I saw, we are as broke if not more, our education system was nothing to be impressed with, and our health care system was the most expensive and while not being the most effective. Maybe you should focus on fixing our country before you critique their continent.
    Well considering the thread in on EU, we should probably focus on them now shouldn't we? Anyway, back the matter of focus, the United States finanical crisis is bad obviously, but not to the extent of the EU, as they have already recieved bailouts of a greater extent than what has been provided in the US. EU is honestly on a verge of a finanical crisis and a total economic failure collapse, the United States is in recession, quite a difference. Perhaps this article will update you on just how bad it is in the EU at this point.

    Will Financial Problems In Portugal Cause The European Debt Crisis To Spiral Out Of Control?

    Now compare that with the US, it's not even close. I hate when people moan and groan about how it's so rough here in America, take a second and realize what you have an maybe be thankful for just a moment.
    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  8. #88
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Electric Cars have at best been a red herring for those who INSIST that we are destroying our environment.

    They are not selling, they won't because people don't want them.......

    Now.....

    1) Do you own an electric car?
    2) Do you support Gov regulation mandating what an American can, or can't drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Electric cars don't exist?
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  9. #89
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Electric Cars have at best been a red herring for those who INSIST that we are destroying our environment.
    Umm are you suggesting that we aren't? That putting a bunch of crap into the air from our exhaust pipes isn't harmful? Try going to Los Angeles for a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed
    They are not selling, they won't because people don't want them.
    Right, but we're talking about 2050, not next year. In the evolution of all successful, convenient products, there was a time when they were not successful or convenient. It's absurd to think that the same limitations that exist today will still be a problem in 40 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed
    Now.....

    1) Do you own an electric car?
    2) Do you support Gov regulation mandating what an American can, or can't drive?
    1) No
    2) Yes
    Last edited by Kandahar; 03-29-11 at 06:57 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #90
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
    Well considering the thread in on EU, we should probably focus on them now shouldn't we? Anyway, back the matter of focus, the United States finanical crisis is bad obviously, but not to the extent of the EU, as they have already recieved bailouts of a greater extent than what has been provided in the US. EU is honestly on a verge of a finanical crisis and a total economic failure collapse, the United States is in recession, quite a difference. Perhaps this article will update you on just how bad it is in the EU at this point.

    Will Financial Problems In Portugal Cause The European Debt Crisis To Spiral Out Of Control?

    Now compare that with the US, it's not even close. I hate when people moan and groan about how it's so rough here in America, take a second and realize what you have an maybe be thankful for just a moment.
    The financial collapse dot com? May have an a priori motive in their editorial output judging the name, no?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •