Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 182

Thread: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

  1. #11
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Top of the EU's list to cut climate change emissions is a target of "zero" for the number of petrol and diesel-driven cars and lorries in the EU's future cities.
    Seems like they left out a small detail in that headline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed
    Back to the horse and bggy days for you, leave the rest of us alone.
    The notion that the eventual replacement of the automobile will mean a reversion to the past is profoundly stupid. Are you so unimaginative that you think the automobile is the best possible form of transportation, and nothing better could ever be developed?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 03-28-11 at 09:49 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #12
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This actually isn't JUST about being Green.

    European cities in general, were built long before the advent of the Motor Vehicle. As more and more cars hit the roads in European countries, cities are pushed to the limit in congestion.

    Cities like London simply cannot handle the amount of cars that plow through it every day.

    I support this measure.

    We have to change the way we do things. Sorry but we do.

    Those who want to live in the past. Enjoy it. History will leave you behind.
    I would be more than happy to support a serious commitment to revamping the transportation infrastructure. However, the EU is definitely "changing the way we do things" and changing it in a way that poses a serious threat to liberty and democracy in the region. At first glance, the EU's suggestions seem fine until you pick up on a few key things like "explore mandatory standards" on how cities implement this program. How they implemented the Lisbon Treaty after the failure of the Constitution should already give you a hint at what they think of popular dissent.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Right! So, let's progress forward to the 15th Century.
    Does the concept of an electric motor really escape you?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Does the concept of an electric motor really escape you?
    Not at all. However, the concept of an electric powered car that is actually practical and doesn't cost twice as much to operate as a gas burner does escape my version of reality.

    Like I said, back to the 15th century, where only a priviledged few that can afford the rights, actually have the rights.

  5. #15
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not at all. However, the concept of an electric powered car that is actually practical and doesn't cost twice as much to operate as a gas burner does escape my version of reality.
    Then you're incredibly short-sighted. Battery life is increasing exponentially due to nanotechnology and materials science.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    Like I said, back to the 15th century, where only a priviledged few that can afford the rights, actually have the rights.
    Less than a century ago you could have said the same thing about an automobile. That invention turned out to be pretty successful in the long run, yes?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #16
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    I would be more than happy to support a serious commitment to revamping the transportation infrastructure. However, the EU is definitely "changing the way we do things" and changing it in a way that poses a serious threat to liberty and democracy in the region. At first glance, the EU's suggestions seem fine until you pick up on a few key things like "explore mandatory standards" on how cities implement this program. How they implemented the Lisbon Treaty after the failure of the Constitution should already give you a hint at what they think of popular dissent.
    Why yes, let's not bother to figure out what those "mandatory standards" are and just assume it's 1984.

    So much easier.

    Did you know there are mandatory standards that determine how runways are designed at airports!? MY FREEDOMS!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Cars will be banned from London and all other cities across Europe under a draconian EU masterplan to cut CO2 emissions by 60 per cent over the next 40 years. The plan also envisages an end to cheap holiday flights from Britain to southern Europe with a target that over 50 per cent of all journeys above 186 miles should be by rail.

    Top of the EU's list to cut climate change emissions is a target of "zero" for the number of petrol and diesel-driven cars and lorries in the EU's future cities.

    Siim Kallas, the EU transport commission, insisted that Brussels directives and new taxation of fuel would be used to force people out of their cars and onto "alternative" means of transport.

    "That means no more conventionally fuelled cars in our city centres," he said. "Action will follow, legislation, real action to change behaviour."


    EU to ban cars from cities by 2050 - Telegraph

    You Greenies....just aren't to bright.

    Back to the horse and bggy days for you, leave the rest of us alone.
    Science is against the BS that humans are causing problems with CO2 levels.

    This BS is on the law in California and as it takes effect the prices of everything is going to put even food prices out of the reach of some.

    The whole environmentally ill push on Global warming has lost most of its support with the people and they now don't buy the BS.

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Science is against the BS that humans are causing problems with CO2 levels.

    This BS is on the law in California and as it takes effect the prices of everything is going to put even food prices out of the reach of some.

    The whole environmentally ill push on Global warming has lost most of its support with the people and they now don't buy the BS.
    It's just so easy to claim the science is against it...

    You would be wrong, though.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It's just so easy to claim the science is against it...

    You would be wrong, though.
    Look it up, Ice Core Samples going back thousands of years show I am not wrong.

  10. #20
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Look it up, Ice Core Samples going back thousands of years show I am not wrong.
    Explain how the ice core samples show this, please.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •